Wardlord to Noble

Bailz

Chieftain
I've recently made the jump from Warlord to Noble. Is there a large learning curve between these two difficulties?

I either get war declared on me and end up completely anhilated or fall really far behind the other civs tech-wise (middle of the table area).

Can anyone offer hints and tips for playing on this level?

Ha! same here too. Im always behind so i make alliances with my neighbors and attack a civilzation thats weak like me! :lol:

I'm attempting what I assume to be 'chop-rushing' at the moment.

My last idea was to get a few cities between AI cities and concentrate on Culture...going for revolts. It didn't work too good :lol:

Well I don't know if I can offer any tips for making that jump because I was able to beat Noble easily from the beginning (must be from being really good at CivIII).

Well are you expanding too quickly? That's the only thing I can think of right now that could get you behind in tech..

As for the other part, just build more units to deter the others from declaring war.

What you consider too quickly?

I'm expanding quick enough to have around 4/5 cities by the time there's no more land to be had.

I think not producing enough units could be causing the anhihilation :)

Bailz said:
I've recently made the jump from Warlord to Noble. Is there a large learning curve between these two difficulties?

I either get war declared on me and end up completely anhilated or fall really far behind the other civs tech-wise (middle of the table area).

Can anyone offer hints and tips for playing on this level?

The game gets really *****y at Monarch.

I think anytime you make that first jump to a new difficulty level, you are going to be out of your element and struggling.

Try concentrating a little more on you military. Start a war with a nearby civ early (certainly before 1 AD, preferably earlier). Don't worry about wonders or buildings so much, just make sure you have a Granary and Barracks in your first few cities, and crank out an invasion force. A mix of Axemen and Swordsmen will do ok. Put a priority to researching Construction and getting catapults....though if you attack early enough you can take down a first rival civ without them.

Make sure your workers are building plenty of Cottage improvements along with some farms. Cottages are what produce your commerce; commerce is what gets pumped through your science/gold slider to produce your research. A citizen must work the Cottage tile to get the benefit from it. The more it is worked, the bigger it grows, eventually into a Town, which will give you a LOT of extra commerce. A city surrounded by Towns that are all being worked will generate a huge amount of commerce for you (and therefore a huge amount of science research if your slider is set appropriately).

I played maybe two warlord games before jumping to noble so not sure how much help I'd be but... Are you using cottages? Are you specializing a few citizens? Are you trying to start and early religion? I've found that every time I tried to start buddism or hinduism, I miss out AND fall way behing in techs. You don't need to go cottage crazy on noble, but you do need a lot of em. And citizen specialization can get you some pretty little people that do great things. This can really help your economy. I'd also suggest trying to get bronze working quick (not first tech but soon after). I'd say Pottery is real important to set up early.

If anyone more experianced then me wishes to take over, go ahead.

I'm recently trying to switch from noble to prince myself, so I'm having similar difficulties. The best advice I think I could give would be to check a few strategy articles, and keep on trying. The more games you get under your belt, the easier it will get. At least that helped me a little (I still suck on prince, but I'm getting better). Don't get too frustrated. And good luck.

:) :) cool thead ive started on the one after noble im england eliz i have continent to myself im buiding redcoats for an overseas invadesoin 1 problem
25% of my continent is covered i grow to slow please help

i went on world builder and
wiped out the mali bad idea
i gave me 3 caravels

Bailz said:
Should I be controlling my workers or is it still ok to be automating them?

It is never okay to automate workers! This is most likely the problem.

Learn how to use the workers.

homeyg said:
It is never okay to automate workers! This is most likely the problem.

Learn how to use the workers.

it is ok to automate them when all they have to be doing is railroading, just make sure you check the 'leave forests' and 'dont detroy old improvements' option, mine are all automated if i reach the industrial age, with maybe 4/5 around for odd jobs.

Top Bottom