1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warfare Expanded (for MOAR) 7.3

Missing Units, Land Units, Air Units, Naval Units

1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

That is a pretty cool mod.
    The original purpose of this mod was so people could use the units that I have made so I have tried to keep any changes to techs etc at a minimum. I find it hard enough to find the time to support this mod in its current state so I do not really wan't to add anymore complexity.

2. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

I got to the modern era in my current game and I see that the WWII armored car is no longer there. I get armored cavalry , the WWI model, and then the chopper cavalry. Is this intentional?

EDIT: Now I saw in the update list that it was part of the previous update. But to be honest the gap looks a bit strange - this clumsy and frail WWI model alongside WWII armor in the atomic era...

Also, have you considered maybe adding a "commercial raider" ship between the privateer and submarine?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Queen's

I haven't looked at it in-game yet, but from today's patch notes:
    Hope Firaxis has "correctly" fixed both of these issues! *fingers crossed*

Wolfdog likes this.
  4. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

Is it not a good idea to exchange the position of the battle cruiser and battleship in the tech tree? This will give a smoother transition.

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

I am not so pleased with the armored cav myself but I could not make up my mind which model to keep so I kept them both.

I have noticed there is a huge gap between the privateer and submarine but I can't really think of anything to put in there. What did you have in mind for the commercial raider?

6. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

Well, if we have to be entirely historical it must be a ship that looks like a civilian vessel - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_raider " Merchant raiders are armed commerce raiding ships that disguise themselves as non-combatant merchant vessels"
    In Civ 6, the closest model to this is the industrial era transport ship...However, the question is how to differentiate those and what about an attack animaton?
    There were also very light cruisers that were used by the Germans as commercial raiders during WWI and WWII https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_auxiliary_cruiser_Atlantis
    I just don't know where you can pool such models from. Civ 5 transport? http://www.nohighscores.com/wp-content/uploads/old-images/todd/civ5_diary/japan/civ5_turn431.jpg

Or here https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....068/75CB216000CE6468BAF3F6A95FF17894E109798E/ First row, ship no1 and no4 ?

Also, consider switching the positions of battle cruisers and battleships, the battleship is too op too fast....we get a battleship while all other ships are wooden and it gets ugly...

Lastly, I was playing last night and got to the missile destroyer. The US again has a Russian model. I am wondering what mod could interfere with this? Ethnic fix mode? Some new Civ mods? Where should I look for a conflict?

EDIT: About the armoured car....why can't you just split them again. Maybe make the armored car appear earlier than the landship...as was the case during WWI. And then you still have plenty of space to put the WWII light cav and the chopper. Especially on prolonged games, that's plenty of turns between the upgrades.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Queen's

I'd move the Privateer from Mercantilism to Colonialism in the Industrial Era and keep the upgrade to Submarines. And then I'd add a Medieval era Barbary Pirate/Corsair type Galley or Xebec to the Mercenaries Civic. I did something similar for one of my Civ III mods. Some examples I used Unit pack: Medieval galleys, New Unit: Barbary Corsair Galley and War at Sea in the Age of Sail 1650-1849.

8. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

Thanks for the pick up on the Missile Destroyer. I have never got that far into the game to see it for myself as all the games I have played so far have finished before the Information Era. There is a Boolean that need to be changed to true to replace art in the units.artdef and before Firaxis updated the Asset Editor it used to automatically revert all the true's back to false's when you opened it and saved it. Thank God they have fixed it now but that means it has not worked for quite some time now.

I assume your problem with the Battleship is B-lining to it. I can easily fix that by adding some prereq techs otherwise we are just going to have the same issue with the Battlecruiser. There are quite a few places on the tech tree that you can just bypass a whole heap of other techs which is unfortunate.
    This is a good idea too. Although I think I will hold of doing anything for a while for the naval raider line.

9. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

In any case the heavy naval units must be quite more expensive than the middle tear or melee ones. Otherwise producing anything else than heavy naval makes no sense. I make them because I want my navies to look cool, but no practical reason otherwise :D

On the tech tree issue, i think the problem might be that i am using the immersive era mod which changes all the tech dependencies. Steel thus opens the industrial era and the battleship comes first, while the cruiser a few techs after. I should try without it.

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

@Wolfdog the units you've removed from the mod (like the F-117) are just deactivated or completely removed from the assets files ? (ie can I reactivate it for another use from another mod ?)

Would it be difficult (by modifying your artdef) to change the cultural version of your units to be available for all civilizations ?

11. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

Hi, i am just curious what that mod of yours is going to be like? :)

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

The link is in my signature.

It uses "equipment" for producing and "healing" units :
    - units are not unlocked by techs, only buildings and equipment are
    - buildings produce unlocked equipment from stockpile of resources
    - equipment is shared between cities following trade routes (over road/rivers/sea, not just the trader units)
    - units are available to build in a city if you have enough of the required equipment for that unit in that city

Allied civilization can share equipment, it's already working in the mod for generic weapons/armor.

I'm trying to determine if I could use it for specific modern equipment.

For example, if Germany unlock the Leopard 2 "Equipment" and is building them in its factory, any German ally with a trade route with German cities stocking Leopard 2 would eventually be able to build Leopard 2 "units".

The mod will also use a different mechanism for unique units, the more I can directly access, the better, so if it's possible to switch a cultural variation to a full units without completely rebuilding the whole mod, that would help me.

13. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

Please don't use Immersive eras as i have had other people report it does not work with this one. Probably should not use any mod that changes tech tree. I will take a look at naval bombard prices.
    The F-117 has been removed from the latest version but you can still get the assets from here (let me know if the link no longer works). https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YCkFSzTkVhuTFZgbyzcAItGMnjBZ5gTi
    If you wan't I can re-add the art assets (but not use them) in the next update.

It should not be difficult to modify the artdef all you should need to do is for example where it says ships\MissileDestroyer change it to ships\ArleighBurke. If you are doing it from another mod you will need to set replace..... (can't remember full name of tag) from false to true.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Gedemon likes this.
  14. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thanks, eventually I will have to use modbuddy, but for now it seems that I can simply merge multiple mods in one without needing to merge all files together if I keep separate .dep and do a few renaming of .dep .artdef and .blp, and keep everything ordered.

15. Socra

Socra Chieftain

Two words. Cruise Missiles.

16. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

Been brought up before. Making the unit model is easy but using it in the game is not so easy as there is no game engine for it to utilize. Also the AI would not know what to do with it.

Socra likes this.
  17. Socra

Socra Chieftain

I've thought of making a mini-nuke and calling it a cruise missile. Same stuff just less damage, one tile radius, no radiation.. might be my next project.

18. KrumStrashni

KrumStrashni Chieftain

Would be lovely if it could take down improvements and districts.

19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

The only downside to that would be the warmonger penalty every time you used one.

20. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Unit Butcher

I was just looking in the current version of the mod and looks like the F-117 art files are still in there.

Gedemon likes this.