1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer 40000 mod - the community effort

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Stormrage, May 16, 2006.

1. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Okay, lets get started, I`m pretty sure a couple of thousands of Civfanatics would like to see this mod, so its up to us to make it. On these here boards I`m known as a talker, not a doer (I`m doin`, I`m doin`, I`m just slow, a`aight?), so I might as well start talkin`.

The old threads are looooong and confusing. So I`m starting a new, fresh one. There was one started recently, but that one isn`t a proper mod thread :)

So, here we will compile what we have and what we have to request. This mod literally needs a "Whole Bunch of Stuff", but we have the people to make or find it. Who doesn`t want to see this made? Raise your hand? Yeah, I thought so. Everyone knows that the units are the main problem. The LHs can be flags, cities can use some fine placeholders, but its the units we lack. Thats our biggest problem, and I`m hoping it will solve itself if we can get everything else done.

Unit lines and unit stats can be harvested from the fruitfull GW site. Elgato, Quinzy, I expect your full support.

2. Stormrage

The modding team - Quinzy [executive producer :king:]! Varwnos! [pcx :hatsoff:], Traianus! [pcx :clap:], Stormrage! [taskmaster :whipped:]

Civs
    Space Marines
    Khorne Chaos Space Marines
    Nurgle Chaos Space Marines
    Imperial Guard
    Orks
    Daemon Hunters
    Witch Hunters

Leaderheads
    Grandraem`s Grimgor

City gfx
    Odin`s Orkish cities so far.

Terrain gfx
    Ares de Borg`s terrain pack II :)

Building gfx
    Varwnos:
    Imperial chapel,
    Eldar Warp Gate

Traianus
    :
    Chaos Warp Gate, Necron Pyramid, Ork Teleporter,
    The Space Marine Projenitor Temple,
    Imperial Palace

3. Stormrage

To be updated.

I was thinking about priorities. I think that the Imperial Guard and the Chaos Space Marines should be our biggest priority. Chaos, cos it can share some demon units with the WHFB mod and the Imperials cos they already have some cool units. Weird races should be requested last. Of course, if there is a Tryranid fan unit-maker out there, we won`t mind if he starts on that :mischief:

4. Stormrage

First issue - the tech trees. Ideas anyone?

You may post now. As you can see, I`ve cutt down on my reserved posts ;)

5. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

tech tree would work well from heresey onwards, going through fluff for weapon upgrades and armour etc..

i can repost my Chaos and Lost and the Damned list if you want. (LaTD should be added to the civ list)

6. Stormrage

LaTD? Who are they? Can`t find them on the 40k page :confused:

Please post it so I can understand, I dunno much of the 40k or table-top stats.

@Goldflash, I know you are reading this ;) Did you guys have a tech-tree back then?

Also:
    If the AI had a cheap weak unit and a stronger more expensive unit available at the same time, what would it build?
    In the WH mod the basic swordsman upgrades to a Greatsword which is basicly an elite unit. I don`t think we should have it like this, if possible. I wanna have the Cadian Shock Troops and the Cadian Kasrkin Squads at the same time :)

7. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Haven't you seen the screenshots of 1 spt cities trying to build 400 shield dragons?
    Having units upgrade may be bad from a fluff point of view, but it's very good from a game play point of view. In my point of view, game play should win out.
    You could produce a bunch of units from buildings/wonders though...

I think it would be a good idea to start with the civs that are almost complete, and forget about the skaven-equivalents until there is a basic mod finished. Enthusiasm only takes a mod so far, realism is needed too. :)

8. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

We did. Its gone, now. It was a redonkulous Two era thing.

9. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

I'll offer my graphix skills for some buildings and wonders AGAIN... No-one replied on the other thread when I did! ;) I can't devote too much time but I would like to make some contribution.

10. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Do you know what units we currently have for the "mod"?
    Space marines and Orks.

Start a mod based around them, and update as you make more units, Stormy ;)

And good luck :mischief:

PS. Why did you left out the stunties :lol:

11. Stormrage

@aaglo - Yes, I am very well aware of the units problem. Also, if you make some space stunties, I think everyone will let them join the fun ;)
    @mrtn - point taken ;)
    @Traianus - welcome!
    @Goldflash - we can`t count on you with this, can we? :sad:

So we have the buildings guy(s) - checked
    We have the tech icons guy(s) - checked
    We even have some units! Yay! - checked

What do we do with all of that if we don`t have a tech tree.
    One more thing - we don`t have to use every single 40k unit known to us, no need to crowd up the tech tree with lotsa fluff. Just because there is alot of Ork units doesn`t mean all of them have to be used in the mod, so there is no need to think about techs for them.

It seems its hard to make up the whole tech tree, everything thats in standard tech trees of other mods has already been researched 40000 years in the future :confused:

Okay, has anyone read any books or something - we need 40k computer stuff to represent the Literature branch.. Lets start with that.

12. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Storm, Progress still continues (very slowly) on the Ork Gargant.... I"ve got the head about half finished, but the stoopid mek boyz are having some trouble with the worky bitz for the big shoota up there, but that should be resolved soon (like after I get done thoroughly testing my latest random map script for AoE II). :)

13. Stormrage

Nice to hear that, Hikaro! But since we still don`t have the %$#%" tech tree, we don`t know if there is a need for the Gargant.. (in this mod, that is..)

14. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Of course there is need for a gargant.

Look, do you want me to make you guys some sort of tech tree? Well.. I'm not going to.

15. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

Gold: refrain from pointlss posts please

storm: lost and the dammned are basically traitor imperial guard. thety#re in the Eye of terror codex. lost of infantry and mutants.

what was the name for space dwarves again? i cant remember.. if anyone played rogue trader then maybe we could add them. of thr Hruud (space-skaven)

i agree with mrtn. my original, complex-ish unit list should be really toned down.

something like:

chaos marine-heavy chaos marine-havoc

chosen-chosen terminator-obliterator-dreadnaought

fury-raptor

etc..

16. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Yeah, Quin, I don't think that post was pointless. That was very imporant, seeing as stormy had been asking questions and I was giving answers.

17. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

i was just thinking. i dont think squats or hruud need to be included in the mod. you'll already have Tau whick a re 4ft tall technical geniuses and the Lost and the Damned and chaos are the mutagenic technological dudes too.

18. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

I'll start collecting units, and post all the 40k units already made here, to save time. :)

19. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

20. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I can't claim that that has every WH40K unit made.. and it has a lot of junk that you guys probably don't need.