1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer 40000 mod - the community effort

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Stormrage, May 16, 2006.

1. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Ah, of course :blush:

2. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Holy SPIT!! Look who this thread dragged in.... Muffins AND TGA! Storm, maybe you should have started this project sooner :lol:

Seriously, though, I WILL be making the Ork Gargant (as soon as I finish up Captain Jack Sparrow), and I was wondering (before I DLed all of muffins' tank models), which of them would you like to see looted by the Orks? :D

3. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

I have to look at them myself :)

Could you convert the Marines to Chaos Marines too, please? Thats more urgent, and its similar. I can show you a bunch of pics if you are interested :)

4. DJ Bonebraker

Dunno If I can import them into Bryce... I could try and see what I can do with them....

5. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

What types of models can Bryce read?

6. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

Hikaro, you can. I've done it.

Bryce can read OBJ and 3DS and stuff.. the common ones.

7. Stormrage

Wait.. you can do tanks but not the marines? I think Quinzy imported the Terminator into Bryce to make the Obliterator..

Its OK if you are buisy Hikaro, we can go with placeholders till we really start rollin` :)

Crosspost with Quinn

8. DJ Bonebraker

Yes, I know I can IMPORT them, the question is whether or not I can break them into their component body parts (torso, head, upper arms, lower arms, hands, upper legs, lower legs & feet) so's I can animate them. I can do that with Poser figures, since it's possible to import only individual body parts as either Wavefront .obj or .3ds files, but I don't know how these Open FX files are exported into .3ds format....

9. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

oooh.. yeah, you can break them up into bits. head, arms, gun etc..

10. Stormrage

After much thought (... don`t ask ;)), I have come to one defeating conclusion. - I have no idea what I`m doing :sad:

I can`t even start thinking about a tech-tree.. Its the curse of this mod.. We can get any custom gfx we want, we have the support for that. Even units, getting a full line of Tyrannids seems like a walk in a park compared to making the heart of any mod- a solid, interesting tech-tree with a good background. I can`t even think of a bad one.

Sure, real-world and fantasy mods are easier, you start from scratch. But how do you find a place to "start", with 40000 years of history, evolution and research behind you?

The "40k" mod is in big trouble, and it needs help! Anyone?

11. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

You'll have to bribe me pretty good...

12. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

How about a solid kick in the nuts... ;) :p (J/K)

13. Stormrage

Hmmm...

A) I can only bribe you with a big, fat entry in the credits (and you still owe me one for the avatar ;))
    B) You`d have to tone down your attitude from the previous (your`s) 40k mod attept.. :undecide:

14. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

That's really not enough...l but.. well.. Tech trees is what I do. I'm good at it. and unit lines. You'll probably need me to do thoes, too. Or tweek the ones you have.
    Maybe.

15. Stormrage

So you will help us? Great! Thanks! :D I`ll post what I have on the unit lines soon :)

16. Stormrage

Here it is, the 4 Chaos civs are bunched together, and are represented by Khorne, and the Orks are still missing cos I need to give them more thought, now that Hikaro AND aaglo have volunteered to make some :bounce:

Finished units are green, placeholders are yellow, and lacking units are red. Also, note that only the first 2 lines are upgrades, and that the last line are mostly spawned units.

17. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

the one thing i always though that this mod would need regarding tech trees is for it not to have a storyline. that way we could go from power armour to termie armour without "why" and "how so"

18. Stormrage

We`d better make sure we have good pedia entries then! This will be played by people who know nothing about 40k (like I knew nothing about WH when I first played it), I want them to actually understand whats going on! :D

The other thing I need to point out (repeat) is that eventually we will get some Xeno civs, beside orks, and they won`t exactly fit in with the `umies, concerning the tech-tree. IIRC, we figured out you can stuff an era with around 40 techs. So thats 120 techs, and we (will) have 16 (5 chaos, 4 imperial, 2 ork, 2 eldar, nyd, cron, tau. Later on we might add more IG and SM variations, but for now 1 for each is enough.) civs, I think we can have lotsa unique techs for say nyds and necrons, they really need some weird ones :)

And all that is really nice, but we still don`t have that tree! :mad: aaglo! :aargh:

19. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

i'm not sure if Dark Eldar like to be put in the Eldar group ;)

(oh, and its Nids as in Tyranids :) )

well, all in all, just call on me for anything and i'll see what i can do. i've decided that i's rather the Oblit made bu someone who knows what they're doing. so i could make the model, export it somehow, and someone may Poser it.

20. Stormrage

Same goes for the High and Dark elves, but there you have it ;)

We`ll talk with Hikaro about the Oblit ;)

[off topic]Who the hell thought of the name "High" Elf anyway? What, they use magic and control Puff, the Magic Dragon, eh? :crazyeye: [/off topic]

Oh, and about them navies.. do we stick with one ship (basic transport) idea, or do we make up a bunch of weird ones, and get in Orthan`s line?