Warhammer 40k mod development thread

Update on the dynamic unit graphics front:

I think I've worked out a way to get single figure units being able to partly upgrade graphically during the game, rather than having to have unique models for each upgrade.

This is good.

Good news TGA!

Unfortunately i have no such news, the patch you sent me didnt fix the problem. Im starting to beleive it may be a problem my end, although i cant work out why it is only with this version and this mod that does it. A real shame. Who else is alpha testing? Are they having similar probs?

mrkingkong

mrkingkong said:
Good news TGA!

Unfortunately i have no such news, the patch you sent me didnt fix the problem. Im starting to beleive it may be a problem my end, although i cant work out why it is only with this version and this mod that does it. A real shame. Who else is alpha testing? Are they having similar probs?

mrkingkong
No worries - it's almost certainly the files. I could fix it several thousands of times faster if I could test it myself. I'll have one last desperate pop at fixing them, and then I'll give up.

All the other testers seem to have disappeared.

*Looks for other testers*

Just wanted to let you know guys that the whole DoW thing is definitely on my radar, it's just that the getting to it is going very slow. :)

The Great Apple said:
All the other testers seem to have disappeared.

*Looks for other testers*

Yeah, guilty as charged. If I could play at work I would, but RL has sprung with yardwork and the like. Pray for rain so I can stay indoors, I know I am. ;)

Rabbit said:
Just wanted to let you know guys that the whole DoW thing is definitely on my radar, it's just that the getting to it is going very slow. :)
That's good. Don't worry about time - we've got ages before Civ 5!

woodelf said:
Yeah, guilty as charged. If I could play at work I would, but RL has sprung with yardwork and the like. Pray for rain so I can stay indoors, I know I am.
No problem. The current version doesn't seem to actually work anyway...

MarcusSaurono said:
I'll test if you like. Not much else going right now.
Thanks, I'll PM you when/if I get a working version anytime soon.

Hey TGA,

Haven't heard anything on this thread (or any others) for quite a while so just wondered if you were still alive and operating in this region? :p

No seriously, how goes the modding thing? Any updates? Have you located the problem?

mrkingkong

Oh and yes, as subtle as this is i suppose you could class it as a BUMP!

:goodjob:

Yeah, still alive. Don't really have much time to do any tinkering because of exams coming up. That bug has also got me foxed - I'll probably be able to find it when I get home.

The Great Apple said:
:drool: :love: :drool:

That dude looks awsome! Is it a reskin of the DoW one?

I'm guessing you're making it for the WHFB mod - but I could deffinately use it.
It's the original Dow Textures and model. I just started with max today more than import can't do yet. Now all that's left is converting it to civ(and that's the hard part). As it's possible to import animation too I wonder if it's also possible to convert them to civ but maybe that's something I should ask Rabbit about.

Ah right - I didn't remember the blue bits. Maybe they're treated specially in the DoW engine (team colour most likely).

If animation importing is possible that that would be just brilliant. The trouble would be that they animation overlaps might have to be different from the DoW ones, which could cause some glitches.

I'm sure Rabbit will know.

The Great Apple said:
Ah right - I didn't remember the blue bits. Maybe they're treated specially in the DoW engine (team colour most likely).

If animation importing is possible that that would be just brilliant. The trouble would be that they animation overlaps might have to be different from the DoW ones, which could cause some glitches.

I'm sure Rabbit will know.
Rabbit is wise. Rabbit always knows. :D

:joke: Just kidding. There are basically three issues with animations that I see as possible obstacles to converting them to Civ4 animation. (Keep in mind that I'm not deeply knowledgeable with animation, so I could be just talking nonsense :crazyeye:)

First - Their frame numbers could be significantly larger, or just different. For example, if Civ4 walk cycle is 20 frames but in WH it's 100, and then attack cycle in Civ4 is 240 frames, but in WH it's 68, and so on. In such a case it might not be possible to simply automatically recalculate the frames, and they'd have to be redone manually.

Second - The number of bones they use. Civ4 is pretty conservative with bones, and if DoW has many more of them then once again, just removing the extra will not work (removing fingers is trivial, removing an extra spine bone or two can't be done without re-animating the unit). Now, of course you could export them with all the bones if it's only few more, but if they have for example facial bones then you might be looking at three, four times more bones than in Civ4, which of course will not be viable for many players.

Third - Animation blending. In Civ4 the animation in max are completely discrete and if there's any blending then it happens during the game. It's possible however, that in DoW, there is some work done on blending in max. Whether it's adding some properties to bones, or actually setting up the animations with some blending already, or something else. All these could basically mean that Civ4 will not properly understand what's going on.

The third issue is actually unlikely, since both games use the same engine they probably also do animations the same way. Of course, the first two issues, while very possible, should be easy to check and know right away if it's something to worry about or not. Ploep, can you tell us something on that account?

In any case, I'm gonna get DoW either this week or the next, and hopefully we'll be able to produce some nice content for WH. :)

Can't tell anything yet. I'm totally noob with max. Actually that import was the first thing I ever did with it. Even didn't figure out yet how to convert anything to civ from there. All I'm convinced with right now is I will quite surely be able to get some attachables from there soon.

Rabbit said:
TGA, are you still working on this?
Yes. I'm doing some other things at the moment (tinkering with the AI - I'm having a go at a genetic algorithm which I should be able to run when I'm away from home). When I finish that I'll get back to this.

In fact, seeing as I'm stuck on that at the moment, I might go have a tinker with this right now ;)

A little update:

I'm neck deep in code attempting to add a new XML file at the moment - once done this will make the whole weapons concept much easier to fiddle around with. Running into a few problems with this one, but I hear they've accomplished something similar in FfH2, so I'm hoping I can steal some of their code.

Next task is converting my ancient event interface to something more modern... which again should make fiddling with the events alot easier for me, and for anybody else who happens to be looking at the code.

Last task is to finish off the interface. I'm thinking of releasing a public version once that's done. I might get bit of playtesting done first.

Top Bottom