1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by embryodead, Oct 13, 2003.

1. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

You know those spells you get from your Wizard Towers (and they're buildable too...)?
    BOOM! No more spiders. :mischief:

2. Meisier

Meisier Emperor

Thanks all, GET right it is :)

3. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

The Mausoleum gives you all the defenders your capital is ever likely to need, and they're free. Plus it gives you even more culture (if it's built early enough) which is again a nice thing. And it's good for the AI... you might be seeing things with those knightly orders though, you have to be an old-world human faction to build them (Although it is possible Settra conquered the cities containing the orders in the first place).

4. phoule

phoule Chieftain

This mod is great! I had the most fun I've had playing Civ in quite some time. I played the WH-World map as the Wood Elves, they can dominate the game so fast. Cash rushing barracks and 2 movement troops which ignore forest movement costs from turn 1 is simply frightening. Strange thing was that I was playing the 50 turn reasearch gambit virtually all game but maintained the tech lead through the whole game on Monarch. Although I felt really bad for both the Goblins and the Orcs, they start with no techs AND have terrible starting locations. Is this on purpose?

5. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Personally I build alot of spells and I love them, spells are powerfull and since some units are BIG (hmm trolls, etc.) I usually bombard them with spells first. I have actually seen an AI wizard carrying a spell (he used a fireblast when he was backstabbing me), but I can agree it doesn't happen very often.

I play undeads now and the amount of skeletons I have are extreme, on the other hand I need them in the case of a war, because I have no strong units (something is missing here), so it takes 4-6 skeletons to take down a troll, but hey I have hundreds and hundreds of them (no support) and they pop up in every city every four turns, thats cool (thanks to a wonder).

6. drzoidberg

drzoidberg Prince

I just finnished a vamp game, (well I stopped when I knew I'd win). I had plenty of Black Knights of the simple reason that I had to transport my troops over water, and once you've researched vampire-lords you can't build normal vamps and vampire-lords can't be transported. I had no choice but to ditch the vamps.

7. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

Are you sure the spell actually came from a wizard, and not just a nearby city? I was going to comment on them myself, actually, after I saw one AI use a spell against a dragon defending a city. Made me wonder if they'd brought the spell out carried by a wizard, but I was just happy to see that the AI will use spells against ground units and not just my ships ;)

And edit: Are you sure Vampire lords can't be transported? I thought they'd been changed to allow them to be moved, after complaints to that effect at the first version...

8. fbouthil

fbouthil Occasional Mercenary

I wonder if the grave guards can be loaded into boats. :confused: If so, I guess they could be move to other coastal cities. :) Unfortunately, I did not think about that when I started my game and the capital is not a coastal city so I won't be able to test that. :(

... Unless I move my capital to a coastal city. Since my capital is in a corner of the continent, I may actually do that. :cool:

9. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

...don't bother, you won't be able to!

10. DemonMaster

I had an Mutual and the passing through agreeement with the High-Elf and his wizard was in my country when he attacked me. The computer does not think very smart here I now, the only time a wizard have spells is if he enters a city with spells sleeping and then leaves, the spells are loaded on the wizard, but since the AI likes to move every thing every turn with all non-defence units, wizards seldom visits cities so they never pick up spells, except for very very rare occation, the same applies to the epic game, it is rare for the AI to have nuclear tactical missile on a nuclear sub, but it happens (again if the sub enters a port with a missile sleeping).

11. digitalgoodtime

digitalgoodtime Chieftain

Any one in north georgia got the mod? I would like to have it but it would take like two weeks on dialup.

12. Mallek

Mallek Seraphym Vampire Hunter

well i finally got it to work i am must say i am impressed. especially with wat you did with the space race aspect of the game that was a tough of genius. :goodjob: :band: :clap:

13. flexo

flexo evil bender

So when are Skaven going to be added to the world?

Man I just can't stop playing this mod. Not to mention that I'm this close to going down in the basement and fetching all my old Warhammer books and figures.

14. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I was out for one day and have 3 pages of replies ... so sorry if I miss some. Most important: I will upload a small patch fixing all common issues today. However, it won't fix issues with your non-standard or localized Civ3/C3C versions. No one sent me a list of folders/files with different names, so I can't really help you. In case you get crashes with Pikeman/Knight/Warrior (or any Civ3/C3C) sounds, blame your local distributor and try to fixing yourself :(

IMPORTANT
    Before you post a bug report, please make sure you have installed CONQUESTS 1.22 PATCH. A lot of "bugs" reported in the last 3 pages (ie. by Mr KW Monk, nobbly), are not bugs but effects of you having not installed the latest C3C patch.

Swamps, Jungles etc.
    It will stay like it is now. We discussed it during beta too and decided it's best to keep the current settings. Swamps and jungles keep the terrain interesting, and are home to many non-human races. Notice that those tiles are better than in Civ3, with better base production and good, abundant resources. These resources would look out of place too, if base tile was removed.

Website
    The old website is out of order. I might make a new one later, but there are more important issues atm, like the promised add-ons.

Spells
    Spellcasters are mostly for fun. They're useful to defend stacks sometimes, but spells are usually fired from cities. From my experience the AI can't carry spells, but he can cast spells and does that very well, ie. I had AI destroy my incoming ships or wouded units. However, you can never be sure... if DemonMaster is right, it's actually possible for the AI to carry a spell... interesting.

@drzoidberg
    You sure... O_o ? Vampire Lords can be transported just as ordinary Vampires.

@phoule
    It's a bad luck. Orcs and Goblins actually start with 1 tech just like most human factions. But starting location is the most important factor determining how powerful a civ will be. In my last game, Chaos was the most powerful civ in game, followed by Redeye Goblins. Wood Elves were somewhere in the middle and were in the process of being conquered by Westerland.

Skaven
    You won't see Skaven in the next few months, sorry. It requires enermous amout of work.

I hate this kind of comments ;) There is a limited number of units available, many of which weren't made for this mod, but for general use. Those elven units were made by Kinboat and were based on LotR movie. I'd really like to have 100-200 more units to use, all based on GW figures, but I'd need 5+ unit artists working for me full time for the next couple of months. As for the Repeater Crossbows, Dark Elves have such unit, it just comes late (Shade). The game is setup in a way that it needs scientific advancement. First come the bows, then the crossbows.

15. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Well, I haven't downloaded or played this mod, but it looks absolutely outstanding. Awesome job!

16. DemonMaster

Actually the high-elf wizard was actually the first time I have ever seen this, I have never encountered another wizard with spells, and I have never seen a nuclear sub with a tactical missile loaded either so perhaps I drank to much coffee (or something else) that night. Am I really the only one that have seen a wizard or nuclear sub loaded .................... ???

17. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Welcome back, ED :D
    As you can see, your mod is finding lots of fans! Definitely including me!

I've been playing it non-stop (OK, but for incidentals like work and some sleep) and everything works fine and looks good!

I'm looking forward to those non-random maps though - any idea when we can see the first? (hint,hint)

:whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

18. Gabryel Karolin

Gabryel Karolin Gammelgädda

Hahah, I second those smilies (well, you get the idea) :D .

Random maps in all its glory but Ive always liked maps with pre-set cities the best (as long as the map is made by someone with some sense of strategy), Spending half the game just rushing out settlers gets boring after a while.

Im afraid I dont have the time to check all units (I got a localized version of civ3 it seems) :blush: . The ones I have had to fix so far are Army Middle, both folder and .INI to Army Middle Ages. Army Ancient (folder and .INI) to Army Ancient Times, as well as KnightDeath.wav to Knight Death.wav.

Let me know when you start working on the Skaven faction, maybe I can help making units!

Again, uber mod, we all love you and think youre great... now get working on those non-random maps ;) :D .

19. Billy Rubin

Billy Rubin breakdown product of HB

I'd like to know that too - in the meantime, I continue making my own, because I just can't play those terrible civ3 random maps with this great mod...

Somehow the AI seems to have problems dealing with few pre-placed cities, like I did in my previous maps, so here's one with starting locations only. It's 150*150, all factions and for performance reasons, settling on tundra, jungle and forests has been disabled (there are enough clearings and - as stupid as it might look - grassland spots in tundra). Just reached the dark ages playing it as Reikland and it seems to be ok...

BTW: I guess it's been discussed bedore, but why wasn't the spell carrying ability dropped for spellcasters? I think ZOC makes them unique enough until the emperial era and I think it's a small price for being able to transport them in ships (I'd gladly trade spellcasting ability for that...), especially since the AI allready is crippled enough without having to deal with units it can't properly handle at all. In one game I've played on a random archipelago map, it had quite a negative impact, because Kislev had built tons of spellcasters and was stuck with them on their island... Imagine that with Slann - their most important unit stuck for ever.
    I guess you had your reasons, but I'm just curious...

20. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

After seeing how the elf archer and spearman units had been recoloured to make them fit with the dark elves I was hoping there might have been some sort of change to the spearman to make another graphic for the Phoenix Guard, even if it was just the spearman with a red cloak or something equally minor. And after playing this mod for so long it feels more wrong to see dark elf missile-troops armed with crossbows rather than with bows! :D

How do you know when the AI has a loaded-up unit? As far as I'm aware there's no indication on the unit itself... did you see the spell get fired from the wizard's square or something?