1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Dann

Dann Green bug

Was introduced to this world by a friend 10 years ago. Would've loved to enter the hobby as I was once a scale modeller myself but (1) it's unavailable here (2) too expensive (3) no time to paint (4) no place to display finished miniatures.

Someday when I'm rich and living in a mansion that resembles that of Tony Stark's I'll be sure to set aside one huge workshop for Warhammer. 20,000 - 50,000 point armies for each and every race.

2. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

I used to paint models when I was a kid. I've always liked the look of the Lizardmen and Orcs & Goblins, but its too expensive. I've got plenty of cheaper hobbies that can take its place.

3. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I play Warhammer 40k, have a 2250 point Chaos Space Marine army, black legion.

Collecting an Orc and Goblin army for warhammer fantasy, to start playing when i've painted them.

I normally play down the Bath GW store every tuesday as it's pretty large and had a fair few tables.

4. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Warhammer rules dude, probly one of the nerdiest things you can do but its still an assload of fun.

5. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

The main problem I have with Warhammer is that it would seem more fun to play as a video game. I guess painting the models and stuff would interest people.

6. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

You can play it as a video game! Dawn Of War and Warhammer online cover both main games. Personally I don't play either, I perfer playing it for 'real' on the tabletop.

7. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Man, I`d sacrifice a goat and a chicken for a WH singleplayer game like Morrowind..

8. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Does anyone have any tips for painting? :) Particularly regarding the use of washes, and how to paint the little details in the face.

10. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender King

I did like the Playstation Warhammer strategy game. It is a shame that they have given up on that. I think one of them was called the "Shadow of the Horned Rat" or something.

11. Murky

Murky Deity

I used to play WH and WH40K. Got to be too expensive so I quit. THQ did make an excellent WH40K Real-Time strategy game out of it.

12. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

The biggest thing to remember is to paint in stages, starting with a base coat of black and then moving into the details later. Think of it like how a sculptor starts with a huge block and hacks it down to a rough form and then adds details. This way you dont actually paint the tiny details in the face, but they will appear as you add different layers.

dunno if that helps but you could go to the games workshop website and check out some crap there, they have some pretty good painting guides.

I had that game, it was tooooo ill. Hard as . .. .. .. . though.

for those of you who've been talking about warhammer video games THQ is releasing a sequel to DoW soon that looks pretty effin badass.

13. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I collect the armies of the Imperium, especially the Dark/Blood Angels. I haven't touched it in donkeys years, though... Maybe I should again...

EDIT: Oh, and this would be a perfect place to advertise the WH40K mod which needs testing! Just follow the link in my sig!

14. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender King

Nah. I'll pass on that. More into medieval fantasy instead of that mess of sci-fi futuristic crap.

It was a hard game. But it was fun at best. Especially trying to protect your mages while your infantry trying to hold the line against stampeding hordes of ratmen and the likes. Once you lose any of them, u can never have them back.:mad:

15. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

They actually made a total war type fantasy warhammer game similar to the horned rat that was pretty decent.

I think it was called Mark of Chaos. Check it out.

16. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Use a primer, personally I prefer black, but some people like white.
    Do the sloppy stuff first, this way you're less likely to mess up the fine details.
    I paint Beastmen, Warriors of Chaos and Skaven.

17. Dr.Mindbender

Dr.Mindbender King

I am going to download the free trial to see if I will like it. Thanks for the info.
    But it seems that the game was released in 06. I hope another will be in development.

18. moscaverde

moscaverde Prince

First time I saw warhammer was through the Dawn of War game. Great game, cool units, but i hated the plot (all the fundamentalist emperor thing).
    Saw some incredible painted armys in the internet.

19. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

The new washes they have released are awesome, i'm quite liberal using them as they are designed to flow into the recess's.

20. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

what changed from 6th to 7th edition. I used to play skaven