1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer World Map for WH 2.5 Expansion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by the Jack, Dec 30, 2006.

1. the Jack

the Jack Chieftain

Since the Warhammer mod team released the thoroughly-revamped 2.5 Expansion (just before Christmas, great timing team!), I, like many players, have wanted a Warhammer-world map to play on. I began modifying a couple of the existing maps, for my own use at first, to be compatible with the latest version of the mod.

Now, with the gracious permission of original map artist Psychic_Llama (and Yorgos, who made my work much easier by converting the original map to work with the last release, WH 2.20), I am happy to present:

Warhammer World 200x200 map for WH 2.5 expansion
    by Psychic_Llamas, Yorgos and the Jack

(Download link at the bottom of this post.)

Changes I have made from the version last edited by Yorgos:
    • Works with all WH 2.5 Expansion rule changes, including resource, tech, building and unit changes.
    • Balanced starting locations for new factions Beasts of Chaos and the Skaven.
    • Play with up to 28 opponents, all factions active in one game, or fewer at the player's option.
    • Global corruption levels have been lowered somewhat to balance the large size of the map.
    • No capitals will overlap the territory of another faction's capital at the time of the first expansion (10 culture).
    • Strongholds of the evil undead in unclaimed territory, to give factions further from the Old World some challenge in expanding.
    • Some minor terrain changes: some for improved playablility, some for aesthetics, some to keep you guessing.
    • No more resources on High Mountains impossible to build roads to, mountain passes are there to be discovered.
    • New strategic resources Beasts, Eyrie and Ogres placed approriately across the world.
    • More than two sources (clusters) of Brightstone now exist, but finding them won't be easy.
    • The Gromril resource is now more abundant, especially near Dwarven faction lands.
    • The Halflings resource now appears only in and near the Old World.
    • The Boars resource has been restored, and is not found in the Old World, but is now a bonus resource only.
    • Badlands may be found in the Wasteland hearts of some forbidding deserts once again.
    • The seas in the polar regions are choked with icebergs in some areas.
    • The Skaven faction has multiple possible start locations; you never know where those guys will pop up...
    Screencap courtesy of Stormrage. (has not changed enough to be noticeable on minimap from version shown)

You will need to have the 2.5 Expansion version of the Warhammer mod (and of course [c3c]) installed, the file I made contains a map and read-me file only.

Discussion thread for the 2.5 release of the mod (not this map) is here.

Download link:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/104736/WarhammerMod2.5withPLYtJmap.zip

2. the Jack

the Jack Chieftain

One further note: this map will probably NOT be compatible with future revisions of the Warhammer mod, and may not be compatible with patches (if any) to be released in the interim.

This is largely my own fault... I think I went about making the resources work from one release version to the next in sort of a backwards way. But oh well, I learned from it, and hopefully the next map conversion I do won't have this problem.

For the moment there should be no problem for playing with the map. If a future expansion or patch does turn out to be incompatible with the map conversion I've done, I will try to keep up and release map conversions compatible with the current version of the mod itself.

3. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Looks good, however;
    Check marienburg and bretonia

4. the Jack

the Jack Chieftain

Whoops.

On my monitor at least, the Bretonnian start location is almost invisible against grassland (in the editor) which is how I missed that.

And since I'm not actually familiar with the original source material beyond heard-of-it, seen-the-merchandise, I'm open to suggestions for how I should move either or both Couronne and Marienburg -- w / nw / sw / whatever. I'd prefer to have each capital remain on a river for balance reasons, but it's easy enough to re-route a river slightly.

Thanks for the heads-up!

5. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Looks good. i like the idea of the multiple skaven starting locations :)

To be completely true to warhammer lore, skavenblight (skaven capital) should be in the swamps between tilea and estalia, but i dont really mind :D

6. kairob

kairob Biohazard

it would be 'unhistorical' but you could move the bretonian starting point further down bretonia, this could help to slow wood elf expansion aswell...

7. mmmrrrr

mmmrrrr Chieftain

I like it.

BUT... no horses near the Ungols?

I would suggest either placing some horses, OR removing horses as a required resource for the Ungol mounted units (like Beastmen don't need Beasts to build Ungors, but Hordes of Chaos do - the Ungols are basically "horse people" so it would make sense for them to always have horses).

8. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Good point :)

9. HounddogLGS

HounddogLGS One Sick Puppy

Thanks, I've been dying for some 2.5 maps! Couple of things though- Id like to see a world map that's a bit smaller, maybe 160x180, if anyone's up to it- these long waits between turns drive me nuts. Also, I was playing as the dark elves and realized that they don't have any timber anywhere near them- they traditionally make a living by piracy and raiding.

10. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

Hey Jack:), thanks for keeping my map going, :D, i think that and the fact that 2.5 is out has convinsed me to reinstall civ 3 and the WH mod, so ill give my 2 cents in a while.
    :thumbsup: again for the great work Jack, and Mrtn and Aaglo etc etc :p

11. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

i get an error saying that the pediaicon_Herdstone thingo is missing and will close the game. any idea how to fix this?

dont worry, fixed it:)

nice changes by the way :thumbsup: i think the Beast men should belong in the Wastes though, not the thiland like place.in my one i moved Beastmen to north of Dolgans, in a big forest, and changed the other start location to another scaven start.