Warlords and Nvidia 7800 GS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by DarthCycle, May 11, 2007.

1. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

Just bought Warlord and the game crashes within 15 minutes. Either a blue screen or it freezes. Yes, I have installed the latest Warlord patch.

I have no issues with vanilla Civ for the last 6+ months.

Own a Nvidia 7800 GS with latest drivers (Nov-2006) for WinXP. Anyone else had trouble with warlord with this card?

How about video settings? Are there known issues with Warlords and graphic settings with NVidia cards?

Here my DxDiag file
    View attachment DxDiag_May11.txt

Here's my Python error log
    View attachment PythonErr2.txt

As you can see in the log file, the last 3 lines are:
    load_module CvAdvisorUtils
    PY:OnInit
    load_module CvAppInterface

2. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

After many tweakings, i seem to have solved my problem. I had a 2 hours session without a crash, a first with Warlords so far.

The following is the list of changes I applied, however I cannot pinpoint exactly the one change that seemed to have fixed my problem

1) initial format of civilization.ini

This file is located under my documents/my games/warlords. The first thing I noticed was that the file had hundreds of lines with many duplication of the same settings. This was odd since this was the file generated by a fresh install. I copied the ini file from the civilization iv folder into the warlords one. I knew that settings from vanilla civ were working fine for me.

2) changes applied to civilization.ini

Based on the unofficial tech support FAQ thread, I applied the recommended setting of

AllowScreenShots = 0
    SyncInput = 1
    D3D9Query = 1
    LoggingEnabled = 1

3) changes to setting in Warlords

For graphic,
    - game resolution equals my desktop resolution
    - antialias = 0
    - globe setting = low

Audio
    - speaker setting set to mono

The speaker setting is probably what fixed my problem. I read the thread on warlord sound issue. In my case I never had a bizarre sound prior to CTD. So I thought this shouldn't apply to me. However this is the last setting that I changed and it works fine since then.

My sound device is a SoundMAX Digital Audio chip that is integrated on my motherboard, which is cost efficient. Nothing fancy but I never play game where sound is a must-have anyway.

Hope this is usefull to the community and good luck in your bug hunting!

3. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Nvidia in general has some major issues with the in-game movies. I have quite a beefy system.... 5.6ghz (dual pentium 2.8's, I give warlords 1 entire chip and run the entire rest of my system on the other), 2GB RAM, Nvidia 6200 w/ turbo cache, I rarely have problems with warlords, but the intro movie, and some other movies for mods, have rarely caused me a CTD. I believe most of the things you changed did not do anything, but if it helps i guess keep it that way.

Do you have issues with movies freezing or is it just a somewhat random CTD during play?

4. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

The CTD is always during play, never during load. Until I started tweaking with settings, the game was always CTD within 15 minutes.

5. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Thanks DarthCycle! Your solution fixed my problem!