[Warlords] Battle of Hastings

Okay, thanks J.

On another note, I've finished the Gamefonts just now, so really I only have do up a few art tweaks (mostly units) and it should be ready for release. I'd say even this weekend is a strong possibility. I want to be sure that the mod is working before I do a full release, so I'll be asking for people to test that the mod works for Windows users.

Alright, I have one thing on my to do list (aside from gathering better info for the first post) before offering the mod up for Windows testing, and that is to make a new Housecarl unit.

That being the case, would anyone like to test the mod for me? I will pm you the link if you want to help. ;)

Okay, I've finished the housecarl unit :cool:, check it out!

That being the case, I'm about to start uploading the file, so I really need someone to test this for me! I just need confirmation that the mod works under Windows, so I can create a new thread about the mod.

EDIT: The mod is uploaded, so ask me for a link if you want to test!!

Hmm, I didn't realize that (even when I set out to add a more accurate version...) I probably won't be changing that anytime soon though as it would require reboning or starting from scratch (unless sticking a shield on his back unused would be an okay compromise?) Also thanks for the links; even though I do not have that game (but I would like to once I install Windows) it will likely be useful for me to root around in.

Also I'm uncertain if the BtS version is working, would you like to test it for me? I was as careful as I could be, but nothing is for sure without being able to test it for myself.

Thanks for the comments! :)

If you pot up the link within half an hour/45 minutes then I'll test it and give you feedback by the end of the day.

My work for the day is over anyway, so I'm downloading now.

Ah, problem. I'm getting a Database error when I try and download it. Do you think you could upload it somewhere else? (Filefront or Atomic Gamer, for example)

Yeah....I'll help test too once the link works

I've played up to the Welsh Declaration of War and everything works fine except for the Norman Knight art, which is pink.

Some initial thoughts (as Welsh, of course):

1) Seems Fishguard needs a bit to snack on from the sea. Strange to have a city called Fishguard with no fish to guard - or eat.

2) Several turns in I auto declared on war on William. Any reason for this?

3) Why so chummy with the English? I'm gonna own those bahstahds!

4) What's the timeframe/number of turns for the scenario? Are there any overall goals set for particular Civs? (edit: Nevermind - I quick look at the Victory Condition screen answered my question)

5) Overall, it looks nice. Harold's leaderhead still looks like a plastic doll.

6) Again, not sure of the overall timeframe. Seems like techs should be more expensive or maybe have more of them. Quite of few turns in I'm still focusing on infra in my Welsh cities since many didn't have anything. However, I'm teching at a pretty fast rate and trading is easy.

7) Is this game setup for a speed for optimal balance? Currently, I'm playing on Epic since that's my speed for normal Civ

8) BUG mod adds a lot - glad to see it in there. Espionage can effect the ability to see ratings for other CIVS in comparison on Info screen. I'm sure this is a feature that has not been given much thought since the transition to BTS. I recommend disabling it or holding off until some appropriate espionage type feature is added to the mod.

9) Any thoughts on alternatives for the Great People. Settling seems the most useful thing, but Bulbing seems overpowered at this point with the small tech tree. Maybe a discussion on this at some point to brainstorm ideas on alternatives for what benefits Great People provide.

10) Open borders appears to come in late game from looking at the tech tree. What it is the thought process behind that decision?

I will continue playing this one out for a while to see if I run into any issues. So far, I've encountered no technical issues. Although the strange auto DOW on William, I haven't really been in an wars. I usually build up a bit and then start spamming units. I likely battle it out with Harold for some land and see how that works.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm very happy that it seems to work. :D
@ nutnut
Do you have frozen animations checked? I had the same problem when I first added the unit until I unchecked that option.

@ lymond
1) Thanks, I'll add that in. :)

2) I have created the mod with the intention of having a loosely historical base. That being the case, soon after the the Normans attacked England, the Welsh began attacks on the western part of William's new empire.

3) See above. The Welsh didn't necessarily attack the English, but rather the new Norman occupiers.

4) I'm trying to think of a victory option for the Normans that involves them successfully conquering and ruling the Anglo-Saxons. I want to make it so that taking England is not too difficult, but holding it is the real challenge. (I will add checks to the code so that if the human is playing as England they don't get screwed over and still keep a different victory condition for other civs.) The timeframe is still up in the air; I've thought as short as the Domesday book or as long as the Magna Carta. Atm its somewhere in between.

5) Thanks for the reminder. I'm pretty sure Ekmek's lh guide has something on fixing this; I'll look into it. Its just difficult when its not happening to me.

6/7) The balancing is something that has not been worked on very much. I don't have time (nor quite the machine power) to spend much time on this. The thing about adding techs is that there weren't many advances in those days. I'm planning on expanding the unit line, so that should help, but I'm always looking for things to add. I believe Epic/Noble are the settings that I choose when I load it up.

8) I'd rather not have to turn Espionage all the way off because it screws with the culture system something awful. I will look into editing Espionage to make it more appropriate though.

9) I'm sure I will be able to find another use for GP somewhere; I'm looking to add new components to the mod (which will push the limits of my Python abilities) one of which includes using a Papal Favor system. I know the Charlemagne scenario has something like what I want, but it seems a bit broken to me. (I.e. its too easy to gain favor). Maybe you can use GP to gain favor from the Pope (again probably part of the Norman victory condition). Really this depends on what features I make.

10) I'm not sure on this, but from what I gather the concept of open borders is not exactly a medieval one. If this is too restrictive to gameplay I can move it back.

Thank you for all of the great feedback- it really helps to have someone who understands balancing this game better than I. (I guess modding more than playing really hurts my abilities in that field.) I'm just really stoked that the mod isn't broken like the Warlords version. :D I will start working on a new post, and I will have something up tonight, but it'll be under construction over the next few days.

EDIT: I've taken care of the fish, and I hope Harold looks better. I am going to upload right now and get ready for the new thread.

I didn't have frozen animations on. I'll poke around some time today and see if anything else is causing it in the settings or the game files.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Top Bottom