[Warlords] Battle of Hastings

well, another good thing about me renaming them is that i got the letter Ø and you dont find that on a normal american keybord, do you? So for me, writing Bjørgvin instead of Bergen is an easy task :)

Good point.

Is there any way you could send me this altered Viking city list? I was also thinking of changing them to the Norse/Nordic empire rather than calling them Vikings. Because as far as I am aware the term "Viking" is basically the equivalent of Pirate is it not?

Good point.

Is there any way you could send me this altered Viking city list? I was also thinking of changing them to the Norse/Nordic empire rather than calling them Vikings. Because as far as I am aware the term "Viking" is basically the equivalent of Pirate is it not?

Yes, viking means pirate, and here is MY Norse city list:
Scandinavian cities:
Nidaros
Bjørgvin
Birka
Ribe
Haithabu
Túnsberg
Upsala
Oslo
Lade
Heidaby
Kalmar
Roskilde
Århus
Odense
Skara
Skiringssal
Oseberg
Møre
Colonies:
Jorvik
Dyvlin (modern day Dublin)
Normandie (actually a region in france, bu the name descends from northern men, vikings who settled here)
Reykjavik
Lymrek (modern day Limerick)
Vedrafjord (modern day Waterford)
Gardar (in greenland)
Kirkjuvåg (modern day kirkwall)
Jomsborg
Aldeigjuborg

Other names you may put in if you want:
Miklagard (Constantinople)
Holmgard (Novgorod)
Kjønugard (Kiev)
Hafrsfjord (battleplace important for norway's excistense)
Jæren (Birthingplace of Olav Tryggvason, founder of Nidaros)

That's all the names i can think about now. Hope you find use for them.

PS.
here's the vikings new description:
Description: Norse Empire/Kingdom/Monarchy
Adjective: Norse
Short Description: Noseland

Or, if you want to be a bit more scandinavian:
Noregs/Svears/Daners Kongerike - (Norwegian/Swedish/Danish kingdom)
Noreg/Svea/Dane - (Norwegian/Swedish/Danish)
Noreg/Svearike/Danemark - (Norway/Sweden/Denmark)

Those special characters kind of scare me. That is one of the things that cause text incompatibilities between Macs and Windows, so I don't know if they'll work. I'll try them, but they will have to be removed if they cause me problems. :sad:

This how my city list would have looked in a Normal Civ4 game where you found cities. In this map, howewer, i'm a bit more attached to placement. I also "swapped" your cities Bergen and Hordaland (hard in WB but easy in C++) and renamed them Bjørgvin and Selø. Hopr they wont couse problems, but using such letters give's a kind of Non-English more norse feel, and i think that's kind of cool.

I'm almost finished with your map, and i think i will have it up tomorrow. I only have the Holy Roman Empire left to do now. But when it come's to map, i got two things you should do in Worldbuilder when you get it:
1. Make sure every civilization have a source of Copper (Iron if they train svordsman-replacements, like scotland and the bretons)
2. See the blue lines on the picture i uploaded? Here it would be better if you added coast tiles instead of land (Olav Tryggvason actually founded Nidaros with the name of Skipakrok, Ship-Bay, a bay practically made for a ship harbour)

Here's the map, just remember that about iron and copper and having roads on them so every city can use it.

Awesome, thanks! I know I haven't been working on this mod much lately, since I've been sidetracked by a few small other things but mostly school. I will force myself to finish the Kaupang this weekend; being my second to last one (I got bored of modeling and just tried to find existing art.) Then its buttons, and the gamefonts (if I could ever get a hold of iggymnrr again...).

I added a popup to the Wales declaring war event, so once I release the next version I can start working on more events. I found some cool new unit art as well, so I can tweak the units in the next patch or two as well.

Okay, I loaded up the map, and everything looks good. I also finished the edits you suggested, so we're good there.

I also finished the Kaupang finally, so now I really need one more building and a bunch of buttons. We'll see if I can dig up the motivation to work on the buttons a bit this weekend.
Anyway, here is a pic of the Kaupang as promised:

Okay, I've been wanting to make a custom UI/HUD, but it seems its very difficult without BtS. So, I've been thinking of doing a conversion to BtS. I would still do the 2.3 release for Warlords, but I'd likely stop there. I made a thread about this here, so what do you guys think?

Looking forward to the BTS version. I think this is a good mod but kinda stopped playing as I'm just too into BTS now. I think the UI/HUD stuff sounds cool, but I also recommend incorporate some of the standard mods like BUG when you move to BTS, just to enhance the experience.

Thanks lymond. I enjoy the BUG mod as well, but I don't think I want to include it (at least as a whole.) I'm not sure what sorts of things to include (probably things like civlerts and sevopedia,) but there are other things that just don't fit into the mod (like dotmapping).

There are other mods I'd love to include (especially RevDCM) but I can't use a custom dll so most mods are unusable for me. I plan on doing as much as I can with Python to enhance gameplay though, so ideas on what I should do or things to include are very much appreciated.

I'm really close to the final Warlords release (I'm hoping for this weekend, but I'll be busy hunting, so I'm not sure.) Once that is done I can go full out with the conversion to BtS, which shouldn't be *too* difficult provided there aren't any major roadblocks.

I just like the overall UI stuff with BUG. I realize things like dotmapping would be irrelevant in your mod, but can be ignored or probably deactivated. I'm sure the BUG guys have advice on incorporating and modifying BUG, or would help you.

Don't know much about RevCM except I think Quot Capita use it. I know I don't like Revolutions stuff, but there may be a lot more to it than that.

I may check out the final Warlords release.

The thing is with BUG is that its a very large mod, which congests it and makes it difficult for mod-modders to work with the mod. Also there is a huge difference (I think) between a scenario and general gameplay. These make me think it might be easier to add in things that people want from BUG than to start with it and strip it down.

I haven't had much time to play using the BUG mod, so I don't know about all of the useful things it provides, but the only things I can think of right now to include are civlerts, sevopedia, and the better advisor screens. I'm definitely looking for suggestions on what else to add in, but I need to know the specifics.

I think the interest for me in RevDCM is in the DCM (Dale's Combat Mod) part, namely the ranged bombardment (and I think it has ranged attack). The revolutions part would be useful to modify into the influence sort of mechanic that I want. The Norman Conquest was really not so difficult in the taking of England, but rather William's genius lay in combining the Norman and Anglo-Saxon cultures and holding onto his new gains. I want to be able to reflect this in the mod, so it will be interesting to see how far Python will be able to take me with my goal.
I made a post about the planned changes here. I'm really looking for suggestions on how to go about the new mechanics changes.

Thank you for your interest in this mod, it really helps to have some feedback! :D

Okay, I'm really close to finishing off the final Warlords release. I did a LOT of buttons and adding in new art, so I think its starting to look a lot more polished. As far as I can tell right now, I just need to finish up the Gamefonts and I will be ready to release after I check it out a bit more. I suppose I could do up some text to make it really nice, but it would be too much work for the effect.

I really got hung up with hunting last week (unfortunately I missed my only shot at a deer) so I didn't really do much work, but I got a lot done last night. I would predict being done by this weekend at the very latest, depending on how long the gamefonts take me to do.

I downloaded the Battle of Hastings mod, extracted it into my C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods directory, fired up Warlords v. 2.13, and got numerous popup windows about XML errors. The scenario started, but after choosing a side to play, I got a "You have been defeated" message at the opening screen. I tried deleting it, downloading it, and unzipping it again, but I got the same result. Did I do something wrong?

I'm running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium.

Top Bottom