Warlords Mod: Rise of Persia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by ohcrapitsnico, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

This happened to me once when I was in worldbuilder I was placing a unit when the game froze like you said the moment I placed the unit. You may be right about the civics things but I also believe there is something screwy with the units.

2. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

More than likely its a problem with the art for the unit, if the problem was in the normal XML files you'd be alerted of it upon starting up the mod.

3. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

It happened with a unit that had no custom art.

4. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

Hmm, the description of the map is the Alexander description, and whenever you start to play, the Alexander mod popup comes up about Macedonia conquering Persia and whatnot. I was thinking that you could have a unique one for every civ. Persia gets the longest one of course, and the other civs probably have goals so you could write some stuff. Or even easier you can change the text to encompass the state of the world at that time.

5. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I'll run a check on all the units to see which units cause a freeze. I would be grateful if you gave me ones that gave you trouble. Does anyone have any ideas on the potential culprit(s) for this fatal error?
    My gut feeling lie in the formation xml, something with unit art, or really anything where any reference is made to those units.:sad:

6. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

I tried to build a worker and it froze. I thin when all the civs try to switch civics, and build their first units at one time, something goes wrong.

7. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

This is extremely strange. I would never expect this type of bug to come to fruition. Actually now I believe the problem may lie in the civics info, world info, or even the civs info xmls. If anyone has any ideas for solutions or anything else on this bug please tell me.

This is a bit of blow to my work morale for this mod. Just as I was finishing up the tech tree.:sad:

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

All I can say is...don't give this up. I've been having problems in my pet project as well--something that was working fine suddenly went bad when I added some more units to the game. I can't figure out why there is a problem, because I didn't change any of the code. But now, I only have pink squares instead of the graphics...

I'm all right with XML, but I'm kind of busy until after next week. I'll try to download it when I'm at home and give it a try.

9. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

Just keep going ocrapitsnico. If the problem persists you can always post it in the main C&C forum and I am sure someone will know. And if all else fails just PM Kael, he knows everything about modding.:king:

10. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

You know, I was thinking, it may be an AI bug.

11. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

AI bug.... You may need to elaborate on that. the only change made to the sdk was changing 18 to 24 as the max number of civs.

If I can't solve this I'll probably ask Kael or someone who has mastered this stuff.

12. Stellan_87

Stellan_87 Chieftain

There are no units on start up.... and its a problem that the game freezes when you change civic, also the "technology text" is not showing correctly i suppose.
    Have i done anything wrong or is it this far you have come? Very nice map and city placement.

I see now that you also suspected it was the civics... think you are right

13. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

This week I'll take a look at the civics and clean them to try and fix this ridiculous problem. I also hope to finish the tech tree by the end of this weekend.

14. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

I think I have an idea. Try giving the civics effects first, and then test it. I think the AI gets confused when the civics have no effects, so the game pauses. I have no idea if that is right, but it's all I got.

15. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

That does make sense, I'll definitely try that. Its strange though that it freezes on appearance of units not so much with civics although I do think the problem is civics.
    I'll also update my images and maybe post a tech tree screenshot if its ready.

16. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

So, how are things coming along? Did you fix the errors?

17. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I fixed that freezing error ingame. I have my ideas how to solve the tech tree problem but it might take awhile and I don't know if it would solve it. Right now things are kind of in a mess. It pisses me off that I finished the tech tree and yet it doesn't want to work for me awhen I want to incorporate it into my mod. Then again I'm not surprised.

18. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I don't like to mod when I'm frustrated so I'm taking a short break. Although I'm still "modding" I guess because I'm making some buttons and hopefully will learn how to do some basic unit editing through WR's unit tut.:)

19. Arman

Arman Chieftain

The mod doesnt really work for me :(. This sucks even more beacuse i AM persian so i really want to play it :mad:! It gives me error as i try to load up the actual mod something to do with CIVOLOPEDIA_LEGAL. It goes into the actual game. When i choose a scenario there are 4 possible ones, i choose Rise of Persia and it just crashes, any ideas?

20. Arman

Arman Chieftain

Yay i got it working but it freezes everytime i load it up after like 3-4 turns, why is that :(