Warlords patch

TAfirehawk said:
It is definitely a pre-patch issue....as the previous poster said too :)
Ok, so it is not solved in the patch :rolleyes: .

Regards,
Arto.

Kristian95 said:
I had "feature" on my computer prior to the patch, so it's nothing new.... annoying thing as well!
Interestingly, why I am just noticed it after the patch? AFAIK, before patch that never happen.

Regards,
Arto.

bite said:
I am sorry if this has already been brought up, but after i installed the patch my workers now will not build road when they are automated, they will only build it when manually told to do so, is anyone else having this problem
Maybe now we need 2 workers. One automated for improvement, one automated for connection (road).

Regards,
Arto.

I noticed that about the workers... it is unnerving. On the other hand, they occasionally build farms now whereas they never seemed to build anything but towns when they found plains/mountains.

I'll try to remember to screenshot the roads thing, but the pattern is very consistent; hop about building mines and farms without roads and sometimes build roads. I had assumed it was a deliberate change.

Spoiler :

I'm not using a mod, it's straight warlords. Notice the spots where the workers developed the square but forgot about the roads, and other bits where they remembered?

Anyone know how i could get this communicated to firaxis? I could try sending it to take2 support but i expect i'd get the answer "we do not support modding".

seady said:
I'll try to remember to screenshot the roads thing, but the pattern is very consistent; hop about building mines and farms without roads and sometimes build roads. I had assumed it was a deliberate change.

Why is this a problem? By design, you don't need roads in every space. This was a very deliberate design difference between Civ3 and Civ4. So why does it bother you that workers don't build a lot of roads that you don't need?

DaviddesJ said:
Why is this a problem? By design, you don't need roads in every space. This was a very deliberate design difference between Civ3 and Civ4. So why does it bother you that workers don't build a lot of roads that you don't need?

It's a problem when they build a copper quarry and it's not linked to anything. I can't use it.

seady said:
It's a problem when they build a copper quarry and it's not linked to anything. I can't use it.

Copper needs a mine, not a quarry.

I don't see any disconnected resources in the screenshot you posted.

I've seen the AI players sometimes fail to connect their resources, so it wouldn't be surprising if automated workers sometimes do the same for the human player. You can always just take control and build the road yourself.

IN older Civilizations, building a road/railroad was giving +1 trade (money). In Civ4, it does not increase automatically everything. It is why building road was found pointless in some parts of the improvement, and was taking turns without producing something more efficient.
Workers are then moving and working only for adding a + to a tile...
An automated worker can even skip an improvement if nearby a tile can be worked and produce a better or more urgent improvement.

But... it is ALWAYS better to keep a manual control of the workers!! You will define better priorities, workers won't waste time improving tiles that are within your cultural border but out of reach by a city, or improve a tile that is not urgent...
AND... it is always good to have at least 1 worker automated with "build trade network" as they will connect automatically all your resources, build roads between your cities, and upgrade to railroad as soon as available!...

The only road issue I have with that screen shot is that there isn't a road to the east or south east of the city on the left hand side of the image which would aid troop movement between cities. But there is no problem with the trade network (judging by the size and location of Besancon I'm assuming it's a recent build).

Thanks to Blake from Apolyton, the worker AI was changed deliberately so that they don't waste their time building roads when they have more important things to do that would benefit the city.

Also, Barbarian cities can indeed build Spearmen and Galleys. I was talking about the free Barbarian units that appear without having been built by a city. Currently (and under v2.0) Spearmen and Galleys do not appear that way because only units that can be used by the AI as UNITAI_ATTACK and UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA are eligible. Spearmen and Galleys do not have that AI function.

alexman said:
Thanks to Blake from Apolyton, the worker AI was changed deliberately so that they don't waste their time building roads when they have more important things to do that would benefit the city.

Also, Barbarian cities can indeed build Spearmen and Galleys. I was talking about the free Barbarian units that appear without having been built by a city. Currently (and under v2.0) Spearmen and Galleys do not appear that way because only units that can be used by the AI as UNITAI_ATTACK and UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA are eligible. Spearmen and Galleys do not have that AI function.

Thanks for clearing that up alexman :)

But the patch didn't change the GALLEY tag for Barbs so I assume these were buildable in Barb cities before?

And will changing the UnitInfos.xml tags for DefaultUnitAI and UnitAIs to 'attack' from 'assault' make the units free for Barbs to build without a city? I am still learning all the tricks in the XML :)

alexman said:

Hey, that's the reason why don't we see Gallies in Warlords.
In basic Civ4 they also got UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA, which was removed when Trireme was addded.

Well, I guess, we'll need some adjustment in some future update...

alexman said:
Currently (and under v2.0) Spearmen and Galleys do not appear that way because only units that can be used by the AI as UNITAI_ATTACK and UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA are eligible. Spearmen and Galleys do not have that AI function.

Are the barbarians able to build Triremes instead?

Harrier said:
Are the barbarians able to build Triremes instead?

No, Trireme, Galleon, and Caravel are specifically turned off for Barbs in the XML.

alexman said:

It seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of building a copper mine and then not connecting it to anything. It's the difference between warriors and axmen after all.

seady said:
It seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of building a copper mine and then not connecting it to anything. It's the difference between warriors and axmen after all.

I agree. What I surmise is happening, is that the automated worker sees another tile nearby (lets say an undeveloped flood plain) being worked by the city, and rushes off to build a cottage or farm, and only then comes back to "road up" the copper. A human player KNOWS that connecting that copper up takes priority over absolutely everything else, with the same going for horses.

The new "Blake AI" changes are really there to help the AI. In short, don't automate workers.

My guess is that the copper got mined before the AI had the tech to build roads.

Top Bottom