1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warlords patch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by alexman, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Murky

Murky Deity

I think it's just the leader picture they are swapping. Someone posted a while back that they seemed backwards according to historical records.

2. jray

jray King

No, they just had the leaderhead graphics backwards. I remember seeing a post a few months back where someone compared their leaderheads to historical portraits... and it was clear that they were accidentally switched.

3. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

30/60/90 on quick/normal/epic
    45/90/135 on marathon

4. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

All speeds except marathon will be 30 points for the first one, marathon will be 45. The 50% increase on marathon is because unit costs are 200% more where as the research is multiplied by 300%.

As it stands now GG points needed are multiplied by how much each speed's research multiplier. I always thought this was stupid cause its not a per turn thing like GP points.

5. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Thanks for the information, alexman. I like most of the balance changes and it is good to see that the AI improvements made by Blake were already incorporated in this patch. I'm curious to see how much difference they will make (as I didn't want to go back to vanilla Civ4 to check out his mod). In combination with the removal of the 'starving governor', this might make the game 1 difficulty level harder.

While some balance changes might not be perfect, I would say that this looks to be a very good patch overall. :goodjob:

6. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Sounds like a great patch!

I do echo the person(s) who asked for something, anything!, to make forts useful. :)

Looking forward to this very much.

7. Ghostofkuji

Ghostofkuji Chieftain

Me wantee! :D

8. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I think creative one of my favourite traits gets a good boost. Theaters, Libraries and Colosseums count for a lot. I never really built Colosseums unless necessary so this is a welcome change.

Thinking about Expansive.

9. TAfirehawk

TAfirehawk WoC Team Manager

You mean something like this?

We just incorporated it into ViSa and it works great....too bad Firaxis hasn't put it in :)

10. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

A warmonger couldn't ask more.I wonder with Gengis Khan and GW if i am able to grab at least 6-7 generals.
    Before i hardly reached 4 generals, and considering that military academies are now a lot more powerful you can really create a military powerhouse.

Among other things police state as civic will be also better in correlation with all these changes to GG.

11. achilleszero

achilleszero Emperor

You should be able to get even more than that. Ive had my GG points adjusted to the way the patch is for a several games now, and I have spawned 8-9 afew times with Imperialistic leaders and 6 with normal leaders.

12. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

It's a good step in the right direction, but not quite enough, I've been using on marathon the scale:- 45,66,90,111 (1.5 x base multiplier) for nearly 3 months now, and it's just about perfect ...and remember its the same for the AIs too...click http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4346107&postcount=43 if you're interested.

13. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

I'd like to point out that a Civil Service slingshot with a Great *Merchant* is possible post-patch, as it always has been. Here's how:

- avoid Bronze Working so as to block Metal Casting
    - avoid both Priesthood and Monotheism so as to block Monarchy
    - beeline Pottery - Writing - Mathematics - Currency - Code of Laws
    - also get Sailing and Mining
    - build a market ASAP and hire two Merchants to pop the Great one (while you research Code of Laws and the other techs)

You can ignore the religious part of the tree entirely. Here's the full detail:

Great Merchant:

Currency (research it on the way to Code of Laws; you need Math anyway)
    Banking (too late to matter)
    Economics (late)
    Corporation (late)
    Metal Casting (block by avoiding Bronze Working)
    Code of Laws (research)
    Mining (research)
    Constitution (late)
    Wheel (research)
    Pottery (research)
    Sailing (research)
    Paper (late)
    Railroad (late)
    Industrialism (late)
    Monarchy (either research it, or avoid both Priesthood and Monotheism, or it's an easy trade after researching Alphabet.)
    Civil Service (bingo!)

14. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Could you also correct the spelling of the Great Artist "Frank Kafka" to Franz Kafka?

Öjevind

15. Artosoft

Artosoft Prince

Kudos to Alexman...

Regards,
    Arto.

16. Murky

Murky Deity

That seems like it would leave you vulnerable to attack until pretty far into the game. If raging barbs/aggressive AIs are on you would be trouble.

17. Quijote

Quijote L'Hôte

Praise aside, what I would like to see is a statement to why Firaxis - apparently - will not include the diplomacy option where a human player can offer himself/herself as a vassal state to a computer opponent. I think we deserve an explanation.
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV is to many of us a single player experience, and thus it is vital that the human player and computer opponents are playing the same game and must obey the same set of rules. I think not giving the player the option limits the fairness of the game and gives the player a more alienated relationship with the artificial intelligence.
    What I am truly baffled by is the fact that the feature is already working for single player - the player is just not able to initiate the proposal: I tried AI-Autoplay, a modification by JDog5000, where the player's civilization can, for a number of turns, be controlled by the artificial intelligence where after the player resumes control of his/her civilization. In my test I saw that while the computer was controlling my civilization it had capitulated to an opponent and thus working as a vassal. This meant that when I resumed control I was a vassal. The amazing thing was that the vassal-feature worked: My master could demand a resource tribute – illustrated by a popup - or I would face war and I was no longer in charge of declaration of war.

Despite the fact that I see some features I am pleased with I remain disappointed about the release of this patch due to this flaw.

18. Murky

Murky Deity

Too easily exploited. You could purposely become a vassal to get a more powerful civ to declare war to bail you out of a losing game.

When an AI civ becomes a vassal, that usually indicates they have little or no chance of winning the game.

19. Quijote

Quijote L'Hôte

It is only easy to exploit if the artificial intelligence cannot comprehend the strategic element associated with the vassal state feature.
    Do remember, as a vassal, you cannot declare war. It would be hard to get a computer opponent to declare war against you, since the artificial intelligence understands that the consequences of that action.

Civilization - to some players - is not black/white win/lose. If you are doing poorly in the game, yet you remain a good sport and keep playing, you may want to settle as a vassal to a larger civilization. Granted you may not win, but you may do better than some of the other civilizations.

20. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Alexman Masonry has higher religious weight

Does this mean the Great Prophet is more likely to Pop Mansonry before Civil Service???