1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warlords patch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by alexman, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

Ok I can't wait to play as Catherine after the patch. Creative with libraries :) and stronger GG benefits. :) I already like playing as her but this'll be great now.

What do you guys think about Expansive? Usually by the mid to late game I find I have too many workers, not sure if this'll help. I guess it'll help very early in the game only?

And I think the factory boost to Organized is totally unnecessary. Now it makes Organized very strong but I'm not about to start playing with it just because of this.

2. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Jags with Woodsman 1 ain't so bad, combined with their Free Agressive trait. I can see ALOT of Woodmans 2 Jags Upgraded Maces playing with monty LOL
    And The fact that their Cheap and can be whipped easily with the Sacrifical Alter. All I need now is A GP Farm and Spam a couple Great Merchants for the Expensive upgrades.

3. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Oraganised is still to me the strongest trait (with huge maps as a given) to make it any better well....last game (monarch/always random, I got Ottoman) 70% science with 454 gold per turn surplus in 1610 and factories building,,,thats a bit sick, I've never managed anything approaching that before (30 cities btw at that point and virtually no conquest, just continuous fortunate expansion).........

Btw Bast, who's the girl in the new pic?

4. carl corey

carl corey Deity

This will really help you in the early game, probably for the first two-three workers. Since it boosts production only - and not food - it won't even be such a boost, but it might be helpful enough.

5. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

You build your first worker with unimporved tiles so it will give a fairly decent boost to worker production. Use that worker to produce just one tile with a high hammer yield will allow a number of early workers depending on how much you want.

Like the no anarchy aspect of the spiritual trait for the entire game, the faster workers of expansive (and faster settlers of imperialistic) doesn't look like it'll work best as a bonus on top of how you normally play but as an incentive to play differently in the early game.

6. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Is there a Expansive/Imperialistic Leader in Warlords??? Probably not from memory... Imagine settler and worker spamming... Probably not very powerful but most of your resource tiles will be improved in your core cities at the same time your expanding, early settler expansion would probably be alot quicker with this combination untill monarchy then you have to go back to your core cities and start some cottaging and growth. LOL I wouldn't know unless I tested this out.

7. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Not seen anyone reacting to this yet...
    We should not have many cases where you get a Great Prophet before discovering masonry, have we?
    I am like kniteowl very unsure about what it means.

But this patch is so full of things that there are tons of new questions and new things to test, and it is really exciting!

8. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

The old system was designed in such a way that if you avoided getting masonry ( as masonry unlocks monotheism and therefore theology..divine right) you could use a prophet to get Code of Laws. This was part of the CS Slingshot I suggest you read up on it :p

9. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

She's a singer on Australian Idol. :)

10. pussychaser

pussychaser Chieftain

expansive: double worker production only works for hammer, not food. its not an big impact in early game. and absolutely nothing in late game. this trait is still very weak.

organized: cheap factories... wooo... i'm sure the pentagon is belonged to Roosevelt!! very strong late game. this strong trait is even stronger.

creative: cheap library gives more culture push. close border sparks too much tension.

great wall reduce 1GP point: no GW pyramid rush. who will build GW?

barbarian gets spears: its the reason why you need GW. especially when you dont have copper.

Leadership gives double experience points: no save and load cheat? are you sure? this change let you creat a super unit. dont let your great general die.

AI builds bunkers more urgently: i have never build this. let AI do it. i dont care.

more reasonable AI city placement: this is good. capture a valuable city is always good.

11. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Two prophets could be used to lightbulb code of laws and about 80% of civil service. This was a very common strategy, particularly with the Madrassa and obelisk unique buildings. I can't see another purpose for giving masonry higher value to prophets, especially since the CS slingshot was the most powerful strategy in the game - too powerful for most difficulty levels.

12. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

:blush:
    There are so many abreviations and slang used by civfanatics that I tried already to find a glossary somewhere in Civfanatics and Apolyton, without success.
    Thank you, I saw this "CS Slingshot" many many times here and in other threads, and now I understand what it was about!! As I am a "straight" player (I dislike using weaknesses of the law, but like the spirit), it was something I never thought of...:mischief:

13. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

This retreat chance only applies when attacking into hills, or always? :?

EDIT: More on CS Slingshot - you could use Oracle to get either Code of Laws or CS. Pure CS slingshot I think means you use Prophet ( from Stonehenge?) to get Code of laws just before you finish the Oracle, so you can pick CS as your free tech. Or you can do it the other way around, Oracle to get CoL then Prophet (from Oracle or other source) for CS.

14. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

No, it's happened time after time without there being water of any kind between the two cities. And my computer is quite new (a Dell), so I don't think the fault lies with it. Neither have I downloaded any mods that could mess up things.

Öjevind

15. knigh+

knigh+ .

I still think the most illogical aspect of the game is having an arbitrary limit (2) on how many national wonders a city may build. Most capitals in today's world have many more than that.

16. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Updated Celtic city list... sounds interesting. Some non-Gallic cities maybe?

No fix for the pitboss Oracle/Liberalism problem though. :(

17. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Thats more for balance than realism.

18. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Yes. What does GW mean, for mercy's sake?

Öjevind

19. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

On all attacks, hill or not

20. cymru_man

cymru_man Prince

Great Wall. Apply your mind :p

Gyathaar - thanks. Makes G3 worth getting (that's Guerrilla 3 by the way :p)