1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warlords...The Great Wall is horrible!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by vra379971, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Yva!n

Yva!n Chieftain

<warning>playing on Monarch</warning>
    After 4 or 5 games on Warlords, I think the most important thing about the Great Wall is the Great engineer points you get. Getting the great wall early as possible, nets me an early engineer which was immediately burned on the Pyramids. Basically a two for one wonder, and with the 4 GE pts from those two - you can get several other wonders without really trying. I think a philosophical leader could rack em up pretty fast.

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It would be nice if that very formidable-looking wall had some kind of impact on battles fought across it. Kind of like the penalty for attacking across a river.

3. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Let me erm...revise that opinion ;p

5 or so cities by the time it's completed.

4. Sobsob

Sobsob Warlord

Well I tried this tactic missed the pyramids and stuck with a great chuffing garden wall I would have preferred to just grab the pryamids.Maybe I just buildt it too late I like to settle 3 cities before I start wonder building.

5. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Prince

Yeah, at least against pre-gunpowder units.

6. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

Something to force them to bring along head-high siege towers to make it past that Great Wall which reaches up to their knees... I like it. :mischief:

Maybe give archery units a 25% defense bonus when they're in a square adjacent to the GW.

7. Ace4nyC

Ace4nyC Warlord

germans didnt build great wall becuase they where the barbarians ^_^ and rome was the civilized world. England has a wall that spans from sea to shining sea. that romans build to keep the barbarians to the north there.
    GG :)

8. Proteus

Proteus King

Yep, they built something similar in Germany, the raetic limes which divided the "civilised" parts of germany under roman control from the not so civilised parts.

And just as others already said, the GW is great, especially for people like me, who prefer playing on huge maps. It&#180;s a good feeling not having to worry about barbarians pillagins your terrain improvements anymore ;)
    But I agree that it would be more of a challenge if the GW wouldn&#180;t protect everything within your cultural borders, but only the territory which is located within your cultural borders at the time when the wall is completed.

9. Yva!n

Yva!n Chieftain

LOL - sorry - I'd played two games in a row where I got the great wall and engineered the pyramids without actually trying - but maybe I had help from the random distribution of AI's.

10. Howitzer

Howitzer Chieftain

I like the Great Wall...But I would like it even better if it contained the new cities built after it too...I guess it's effects are active in new cities as well, but it seems funny to have your empire split in two by a wall.....Reminds me of Eastern Germany situation :snowlaugh: