Warlords/Vista problem with Event Log detail

YoHo

Warlord
Hey all, I mentioned in another thread a couple weeks ago that I've recently been having trouble getting warlords (or Civ4) to work in vista.

The game was running fine back in august, In september and now it fails.
Inititally it seemed to have the directX issue, so I updated via the info on this site. I'm still having problems. Now, whenever I try to start the game, it just gives me a generic windows error.

Anyway, I finally had time to figure out where the Event Viewer was hidden in Vista and captured the EVT info. Maybe one of you can make something of it.

First the summary:
Faulting application Civ4Warlords.exe, version 2.1.3.0, time stamp 0x464b927a, faulting module ~df394b.tmp, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4306003f, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00078c9c, process id 0xc80, application start time 0x01c813875ea4caf0.

Details in XML format
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-10-21T02:09:15.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5825</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>R2-D2</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Civ4Warlords.exe</Data>
<Data>2.1.3.0</Data>
<Data>464b927a</Data>
<Data>~df394b.tmp</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>4306003f</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00078c9c</Data>
<Data>c80</Data>
<Data>01c813875ea4caf0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Any thoughts?

A quick google turned this up:

A Common Cause Of The 0xC0000005 Error:

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

I also found this:

..a while back Symantec Antivirus caused the 0xC0000005 error with an additional message about a file called SAVRT.SYS . A simple software update to the Symantec Antivirus cured the problem.

but I presume you would have mentioned this.

You seem to be running the latest version of warlords. Perhaps the patch didn't fully apply. It might be worth reapplying the patch if it will let you. Otherwise I suspect you will probably need to reinstall warlords. Is civ4 working ok?

Neither is working and I don't run Symantec.
Memory reports ok. It seems unlikely to be a hardware problem. This computer was built back in August and was working with Civ4/Warlords initially.

I'll sweep the computer for malware/adware, but I would be surprised as I'm pretty good about that.
My guess is that a Vista update messed up a device driver, but since I seem to be the only one with a problem...

This is an Gigabyte AMD chipset (I forget the number, the latest one) motherboard with onboard ATi Video. Like I said, it worked initially.

For your motherboard/ video card/ etc. are you using the drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the actual product, or the chipset? (ie Gigabyte or AMD)

So, what do I do to fix it?

(aside from look it up on Google.

I'm using the gigabyte supplied vista drivers with the exception of the video which are latest catalyst.

So, I did a google search on it which lead me over to BTS bugfix forum on this site which suggested that I upgrade the firware on my DVD-RW.
I did a firmware upgrade and now it works.

Top Bottom