Warlords- What is it good for, absolutely nothing ugh!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Shigga, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Without Firaxis, there's no Civilization 4. Your choice.

2. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Lance of Llanwy - note your warning in this post. Warned for flaming.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Mine was a rhetorical answer, which you would have understood if you were paying attention (it's not that long, just 48 words).

4. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

I just skimmed 17 pages of argument and it all looks so pointless. The bottom line is that the "vanilla" version is what the modders will be dealing with, if you like mods better, buy the expansion, otherwise your mods will likely dry up.

Personally I'll buy the expansion because "vanilla" is the base that everyone has in common, if I want to play with my room-mates using a mod is fine, but will the people who don't live with me be using/familiar with those changes? Nope. Then I have to go back to an unfamiliar version of the game to play with them, and lose, or they have to learn to play mod-civ with me. So if you want to play multiplayer with your buds what is the real point of downloading a mod?

Either way though I suggest getting the expansion. Not doing so is a situation where you lose either way.

5. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Many mods are multiplayer compatable. Me and a friend are actually going to mod the game to our specifications for when we play multiplayer.

This is actually the point of the thread. How do you lose by not getting Warlords? All you really lose is vassal states. And with the worlds being as small as they are even on huge I doubt this will be a huge factor in gameplay. A large nation will not vassal easy by any means (or shouldn't), a small one isn't worth the vassal state.

6. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

You will lose all the mods that get converted to Warlords.

7. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Without Firaxis, someone else would buy the right to the franchise and make Civ 4. That's my choice.

8. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Most of my mods are graphical. I will lose FfH2 :( but oh well. I am currently working on my own mod that I will probably end up playing. Then when I pay for the expansion at bottom dollar, I will get to get all the FfH2 updates all at once. I bet I can get Warlords around 6 months to 9 months after its release for around 8-10 bucks. As far as I can tell FIraxis needs at least that amount of time as it is to address the game anyways.

I will probably download Sevomod before the expansion is released so I have it.

9. Xavier Von Erck

Xavier Von Erck Warlord

It needs to be quoted, because it's so damn true.

10. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

At which point it would no longer be Sid Meier's Civilization. Firaxis must seem just horrible to you for you to prefer any other company. Seems a tad reckless and a bit more than a tad extreme, but - hey - that's just me.

11. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

I love Sevomod. It is surely worth downloading, but I'd be curious to know if you're even playing Civ IV in any form when the xp hits 'bottom dollar'. I'm thinking maybe not. ;)

12. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Sid Meier could very well work for another company. The original Civ wasn't produced by Firaxis, but it was still Sid Meier's Civilization.

13. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

True, sir, but not only did Sid write the code of that game, he also founded that company (MicroProse, IIRC). ;) He has now founded Firaxis, but - alas - he has not written the code.

14. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Well, in fact Firaxis just did some "horrible" things to the Civ franchise.

Given that the genre still is - and will remain - exiting, over the course of the years they developped, gathered and combined some exciting ideas. I don't argue against that.

However, the way in which those ideas have been implemented, doesn't satisfy me at all.
    Some of the non satisfying elements are just based on the choice of the developers to take either the right or the left way, this is something the buyer has to live with. As others have pointed out already, you cannot expect to get a game which will be 100% according to your individual expectations.

Other elements though give you the impression that certain things haven't been tested very much. Many of those have been mentioned and repeated for better understanding in this thread over and over again, so I won't do another repetition right now.
    One thing, though, may be mentioned, since it hasn't been stated here until now. Bronze and Iron working as well as Calendar constitute "must have" technologies in almost any case. The first ones allow chopping and release the strongest early units, the other one is a must have for many ressources.

This is just one small example of missing balancing.

And things like this make me very doubtful about what we might expect from the WL-expansion.

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Given your postings, that counts as a plus.

16. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Given YOUR posting, your own statement counts as a minus.

See how far we can get (i.e. nowhere) with empty statements like that?

17. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Actually, #336 and counting.

18. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

I'm one of the people which really like the quality of this game, in my opinion Firaxis made one of the best games ever made but all people (fanboys included)should admit that Firaxis customer policy wasn't HONEST.
    The game was rushed to meet the date of december and sell more copies with Christmas there wasn't any care for customer.When the game was released a lot of ATI cards experienced problems running CIV4.Only after 3 months when 1.52 was released the greatest part of bugs and memory leaks were fixed.1.61 had to be released earlier but it was postponed for months.
    On my CIV4 box i see that reccomended specifications is 1,8 ghz cpu and 512 mb ram which is FALSE requirements are a lot higher.
    So if you think that Firaxis customer policy is good in my opinion you are objectively wrong.About the game i've nothing to say it's a GREAT GAME.

19. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Those are all Take2 issues, not Firaxis issues.

I'm running the game right now on my laptop, 1.86 GHz Pentium M, had 512 MB when Civ4 was released, it ran ok out of the box. It does run better now with the patches and a subsequent memory upgrade to 1 GB. But I don't see the minimum requirements as unrealistic.

20. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Since you carefully waited for some days (and quite some postings) to address me once again, I would like to point the reader to your postings as in
    posting #221 and all the responses to it.

As far as I remember, nobody referring to that crap posting agreed with you, but you achieved to make a complete fool out of you.
    That much to the quality of postings and the opinion expressed by them.

Given the fact that you don't stop to fill this thread with meaningless postings, I really wonder if you expect to get a copy of WL, signed by Sid, once for your efforts?
    I mean, there must be a reason for you to try to defend Firaxis, although from your postings we learn that you're lacking arguments to do so.

In response to
    you stated
    First of all, where is the difference for the buyer who is responsible for the poor quality and the delays?
    Second, your statement is objectively wrong, as Take2 didn't force Firaxis to implement the game in a way that it wouldn't work for ATI cards.
    Third, where is the prove for Take2 being responsible for the long time between patches 1.09 (don't forget there was a 1.08, which had to be withdrawn within hours) and 1.52?
    Fourth, as far as I know, Firaxis now belongs to Take2. So, for the customer there is even less necessity to divide between the two companies.