Warmonger penalty after 1 DoW

clint0601

Chieftain
Maybe I was just very unlucky, but I DoWed a city-state for a worker and a few turns later checking my diplomacy found out that Siam is giving me the warmongering penalty. I checked the logs and he did not pledge to protect Helsinki, just Rio and Edinburgh.

screenshot:
Spoiler :

It's the only war I have started as well, so the warmongering penalty is coming solely from that one DoW.

I feel like it was unlucky considering Siam is big on city states and high on WarmongerHate (according to the spreadsheet)

Lucky this game is only Noble or I would not survive the inevitable dogpile that is going to happen soon. Anyways I learned my lesson, be careful about your 1 "free" DoW with Siam around. From now on I will call it the free DoW (in most cases).

Has anyone else ever seen this? I guess don't believe everything you read on the forums ;), although I have never seen evidence to believe that you didn't get a free DoW.

It just means SIam just doesn't like you and he allready let you know his minor warmonger hate.

If you look closer you will see he covets you're land.

He proparly hates you for covet land and shows you as result it shows

covet land modifier high + verry little warmonger hate

Siam choose to not be deceptive

Yeah but people always talk about how you always get "1 free DoW" without AI labelling you a warmonger. I somehow found a time where only 1 DoW led to being a warmonger.

Thanks for clarifying that feiling, so after 1 DoW there is a chance that everyone hates you? I haven't noticed that either, but generally on higher difficulties I pick and choose my opponents with extreme care, attacking people who have been denounced/are currently warring.

I think that is why you guys finish faster than me in gauntlets/general HoF, on difficulties higher than Emperor I am too careful about warmongering and who I attack

Depending on circumstances not all civs will hate you for the second DoW either. It's easy to get seen as a warmonger in this game, but there are some situational factors involved at least.

I've had up to 3 or 4 DoW's before every civ hates me for being a warmonger. Sometimes there is 1 lone holdout who is even more warlike than you are.

Yeah I understand that but wow, warmonger after the first DoW, that's never happened to me before (not that it mattered, I was playing Noble for the War Canoe achievement, obliterated everyone with their UU Knight).

Thanks for clarifying that feiling, so after 1 DoW there is a chance that everyone hates you? I haven't noticed that either, but generally on higher difficulties I pick and choose my opponents with extreme care, attacking people who have been denounced/are currently warring.

I think that is why you guys finish faster than me in gauntlets/general HoF, on difficulties higher than Emperor I am too careful about warmongering and who I attack

Some civs care more than others.
Most of the world gives a free pass for 1 DOW (as long as you didn't conquer that city state)
But a few civs really like city states and don't want you to DOW them at all. America & India are prime examples.
On the other side, a few civs don't mind: Mongolia is the prime example of not caring.

Also, if you were on Emperor+ both those civs would eventually have developed land envy from starting too close to you. (They'd also develop it which each other as well)

But a few civs really like city states and don't want you to DOW them at all. America & India are prime examples.

Especially England. She really hates it when you DOW and conquer those poor li' CSes.

I'm a peaceful leader and only DOW for what I think are good reasons, like to stop aggressor nations from taking over the world and doing bad things!

Anyway, I think in a game I played I only DOW'd once and got that penalty from Siam too.And the DOW was against him.Because he attacked a city state, of course;)

Maybe Siam particurly doesn't like it when you Dow city states, because he depends on friending them.

When you mess with city states in the current game this is what happens. In 5 weeks a lot of stupid things about this game are going to change. And the changes have not come soon enough!

Top Bottom