[BNW] Warmonger Penalty by era

Equilin

King
So, the warmonger penalty scales by era, or so i have read.
Question is, whose era is it? Player's? Target civ's? Global (determined in a similar way to WC)?

In Civ V, that was introduced in one of the last two patches.
The base warmonger is :
DOWing anybody (including city states) or Taking someone's last city (including city state) (each): Max penalty (each instance about 50% towards the AIs that care most about warmongling will hate you forever).
Conquering a city but they still have at least one remaining: max penalty / [total number of cities they previously owned] (Second to last city is 50% as bad as taking last one, taking 3rd to last one is 1/3rd as bad as taking the last one, etc.) : Cumulative ; introduced either in one of the last vanilla patches before G&K or with G&K.

What the BNW patch introducing era modifier did is add additional modifiers if the game hasn't yet reached Industrial era. I think Ancient & Clasical Era are 50% of above penalty and Midevil / Rean era 75% of above penalty. The numbers are given in whichever patch notes introduced it.

Notes:
1. Dead men tell no tells in Civ V (if you wipe out the civ prior to anyone else meeting you it doesn't count.)
2. Several AIs also have flavors that strongly don't like those attacking city states : And so they'll dislike those that do and it's independent of warmonger. (Others are moderate and still others won't care) ; these exact same ones become cracky and those that bully city states.
3. While some AIs really hate warmonger other's are "moderate" and a few are "do what you like"
4. The Civ you attacked / took cities from has additional modifiers to hate you
5. If another AI is at war with the civ you took cities from then with a fully patched game they aren't supposed to care. In addition if they aren't at war but have denounced them it's supposed to care less than if it hasn't.

Yeah i already read about that but my point remains.
Ex.
Im in the industrial era, eliminated a renaissance era civ, while other civs i met are in medieval/renaissance. Which era modifier will be used to calculate the penalty?

Yeah i already read about that but my point remains.
Ex.
Im in the industrial era, eliminated a renaissance era civ, while other civs i met are in medieval/renaissance. Which era modifier will be used to calculate the penalty?

That would be the person doing the DOWing / taking cities at the time the event occurs. (Industrial in this case)
So if you DOW someone when you are in the rean era but take a city from them in the Industrial era then even if it's the same war, the taking the city portion is under Industrial era penalty while the DOW itself is under the lighter Rean era.

Top Bottom