Warmonger questions

Lukelbs

Chieftain
I'm playing on Emperor and have a question about becoming a warmonger.

I was playing as Germany and Poland sent his army after me just to take my land and after I defended myself and wiped out all of his troops he offered me a peace treaty with a nice package of luxuries so I accepted. After the peace treaty was finished I attacked him and eliminated him from the game. I annexed all of the cities though. Then all at once just about everyone turned on me and went to war against me.

Why was I labeled a war monger? Was it because I eliminated him from the game or was it because I initiated the 2nd war?

Is there a way to turn this label around and reverse it?

Is it possible to eliminate my foes from the game and not be titled a war monger?

Why was I labeled a war monger? Was it because I eliminated him from the game or was it because I initiated the 2nd war?

Is there a way to turn this label around and reverse it?

Is it possible to eliminate my foes from the game and not be titled a war monger?

1. Both, but almost all of it was from eliminating him from the game.

2. Liberating cities & city states that someone else had conquered reduce a lot of war monger points.

3. The normal practice is to leave each victim one useless city instead of taking the very last one *. Preferably in an area that's near some other AI so that eventually another AI will DOW and take it and be branded by the rest of the world as the war monger.
* Or at least until you have a strong enough army that even if everybody DOWed you at once you'd still win.

Yeah taking a civ's final city is a killer. Even if you've gone to war at the request of another civ and they've denounced the civ you've wiped out it'll still be seen as a step too far.

I guess that's why domination victories are based on taking original capitals rather than completely removing all civs.

There are ways around taking final cities with no penalty. You can let CS do the killing blow. Alternatively if the final city can be liberated and you liberate, you also receive no penalty for taking city. Also if a civ is at war with the civ you take the city from, the warmonger penalty won't apply to that civ.

A good way is to always end the war if the civ is too weak to pose any more threat (in most cases you leave them with 1 crappy city). This way you avoid the huge warmonger penalty associated with completely wiping out a civ AND you can later get to resurrect that civ if someone else has wiped them out (which is a good possibility). This is very ironic as you will get a huge reduction of warmonger hate, while resurrecting a civ that you practically eliminated (but let someone else deliver the final hit).

Also if a civ is at war with the civ you take the city from, the warmonger penalty won't apply to that civ.

I didn't realise that. However once the denouncement chain starts that civ could still turn against you if they're better friends with civs that denounce you.

Not yet mentioned is that if you kill civ A before meeting civ B, then there is no warmonger penalty with civ B.

And, as others have replied: (1) you can often manipulate things so that foes are eliminated without you being the one who does the final dead; and (2) if you eliminate a civ by liberating their last city then you actually end up decreasing your warmonger score!

(2) if you eliminate a civ by liberating their last city then you actually end up decreasing your warmonger score!

I'm not so sure about that. It should work that way, but I did exactly that recently (the last city was a captured CS) and everyone still hated me.

I have experimented enough to be confident about this. But I certainly encourage you to try it more yourself.
I did exactly that recently (the last city was a captured CS) and everyone still hated me.
If you take a bunch of cities but liberate the very last one, there is still plenty of hate for you. If you have the file still, you could see what happens if you play the game two more different ways: (1) leaving the AI with one city (the former CS), or (2) taking the former CS for yourself.

(1) Should be a little more hate for you (no CS liberation to lessen your warmonger score).

(2) Should be a good deal more hate for you (one more Extreme Warmonger Penalty added to your warmonger score).

But if everyone already hates you, I am not confident you would experience much difference between (1), (2), and (3) how you played by liberating the CS.

If they hated you so much before you kill the final city, then no matter what you do you can't fix the warmonger hate in most case. It takes a long time to clear hate imo. This is partly due to the fact of a denouncement chain. Once you have at least half the civs hating you and don't have a war partner that you can constantly bribe to join your attacks (Monty/Oda/Shaka etc), the rest of the civs WILL denounce you and your warmonger hate is irreparable. The tricks suggested only works if your reputation is still good.

The warmonger score increase after taking a city is a function of 1/N where N is the number of city your victim has.
It can be quickly seen that the warmonger score will be increased by a lot more if it was the last city (100%) than if it was his fifth (20%).

It's also a function of how many total cities there are on the map (function of 1/C) and what era you are in.

I was playing as Germany and Poland sent his army after me just to take my land

Just too funny:lol:

Seriously you can just edit warmonger values and conquer as much as you want

Top Bottom