1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

warmongering and cities

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by pippincd, Oct 25, 2011.

1. pippincd

pippincd Chieftain

I tend to play on standard continents at emperor. I tend to play for domination victories. How many non-puppet cities do you typically find support a domination victory the best(enough to handle the production necessary but not so many that you're trying to quell rebellions while finishing off the last AI)? How many puppets? What determines when you raze a city? By the time I'm ready to launch an invasion of the second continent should my continent be all my color on the mini map or just splotches of my color and alot of open land?

2. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

The happiness regime since the July patch is such that you can manage as many cities as you want with the right policies. With the courthouse bug (?) you can get no unhappiness from number of cities for annexed cities. Monument, temple, walls, castle, garrisoned unit and road connection can net one happiness each.

As for which cities to raze, I would try playing through some games and seeing which ones give you enough benefit to make up for whatever unhappiness they're costing you. If not, sell them to the AI. If they neighbour a friendly AI, it might be worth it to sell them anyways because the gold you'll get can often be more valuable than holding on to the city for another hundred turns.

3. Erindill

Erindill Chieftain

I am a longstanding fan of civ and am now playing civ 5 on immortal level - but I can only win on a duel. When there are more civs I just don't know who to kill first and often lose out of indecision alone.:confused: Last time I played (as the romans) I focussed on killing the civ nearest me (aztecs) - but then Alexander got stronger whilst I spent all my time in battle with the aztecs. I pulled out to start pitting myself against Alexander and lost - when I should have kept ploughing through the aztec citites I think. Are there any generic rules around pitting your strongest force against the weakest force etc?

4. Ruler

Ruler Prince

Happiness shouldnt be a problem I play on Immortal. As for last AI? Just nuke and raze them, its over soon, in my opinion you need Uranium and nukes to get things done, otherwise its too time-consuming.

5. Ruler

Ruler Prince

More units. If theres 3 civ around you, you need to be prepared for all of them, build fortress and make defence lines and attack one civ. Civ 5 diplomacy is just horrible, theres no other way really. Build one city on hill just for defend, its worth it.

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Personally I like to have around 6-10 non-puppet cities for dom games. Maybe 4-6 of my own cities, that way I can have a couple production cities and a couple science cities. The other few will be the best enemy cities I capture & annex, frequently their capitals. And a bunch of puppets.

Whether to raze/puppet depends on your happiness mostly, but if you focus on that using Wainy's advice, you should be able to puppet most and not have to raze too many. I'd say on average I puppet 3/4ths of the cities I conquer and raze 1/4. Then later down the road (after the city has settled down) I will annex the cities in great spots first. Later if I get desperate for happiness I will annex the other cities as well for the happiness. If possible, go down the right side of Autocracy for the +3 happy BEFORE you annex a lot. If you annex a lot first you will delay the policies, and also pay the higher cost on the courthouses.

7. lilnev

lilnev King

At least on Deity, where the AI's have really huge piles of gold, the benefits of taking and holding cities are secondary to the benefits of making a huge cash profit from the peace settlement plus selling cities to other AIs. I typically build 3 or 4 'native cities', claiming luxuries, Iron and good food/production (in roughly that order). Typically I'll conquer half or 2/3rds of an opponent, get a big peace deal (remember that you can rearrange the peace terms, giving back cities you don't want in exchange for ones that you do), keep maybe two cities as puppets, and sell the rest. It varies a lot, I've kept zero or as many as five or six. In general, when my happiness is low, my first recourse is to identify cities that aren't carrying their weight and sell them.

You should get your continent under control, to the point where no one can mount a serious challenge to you, and you're claiming most of the continental income. You don't necessarily have to decap them all, you can do that late if need be. My minimap ends up as splotches of my color (or sometimes strips, it's nice to keep travel lines and trade routes under my control) surrounded by splotches of AI colors. They have huge advantages in the amount of gold they're able to raise from a given piece of land, so it's better to keep most of the land under their cultivation and extract their income, as tribute for peace or payment for cities.