Warmongering buddies

lissenber

Warlord
I wonder if the civ V makers did something to the diplomacy system like put a positive modifier on warmongering civs (peaceful civs will still get negative modifiers) depending on how well you fought them in a war.

I can definately imagine Tokugawa saying something like:

"You fought us with honor and courage! We respect that. - +2"

And other modifiers depending on how you fought the war like...

Captured more than 5 cities during war or rased 1 city or obliterated a huge ammount of his/her army:

"Why can`t you show some mercy once in a while? - 1"

Never attack an enemy unit in his own borders during war(presuming the AI does attack you in your territory during that war):

"Chicken! Why don`t you just come out and fight?! - 2"

One can only hope but maybe they did.

They almost definitely did not. This isn't a terrible idea, it would add some flavour. But would be extremely unrealistic and I don't really kow what it would add gameplay wise.

Will it disappoint you to know there are no diplomatic modifiers at all now :)

Will it disappoint you to know there are no diplomatic modifiers at all now :)

Then how does diplomacy work? It surely isnt robotic leaders who dont care what you do. And I pray its not a random thing, where feeling are generated by the computer at random.

Then how does diplomacy work? It surely isnt robotic leaders who dont care what you do. And I pray its not a random thing, where feeling are generated by the computer at random.

I think modifiers will exist, but they won't be shown. You'll only be told their general attitude towards you, happy, furious...

They certainly won't be random, the new diplomacy system is a major focus in marketing right now.

Then how does diplomacy work?

Diplomacy with leaders is rational - they consider how much threat you are, etc. You can't buy them with gold or religion - the only way to make friends is to be useful.

City-states are for old-style diplomacy with gifts and such.

I can definately imagine Tokugawa saying something like:

"You fought us with honor and courage! We respect that. - +2"

Why? Who in their right mind would be happy about a war being declared with "Respect and honor"?

"Chicken! Why don`t you just come out and fight?! - 2"

Again, why does this make sense? Why would an invader what a war taken to his own territory?

And towards the AIS we will see something like some historical modifier? For exemple France not licking England and America hating Russia?

And towards the AIS we will see something like some historical modifier? For exemple France not licking England and America hating Russia?

That would be a pretty bad effect since in reality, the English were at odds with nearly everybody historically as were the French. Even British-Persian relations would be messed up.

That would be bad, very bad, like BAAAAAAD, like BADtastic, idiotic, it would ruin the game.

Also you start history from 4000 BC in the typical game. Anything that France and England or anyone else had done to each other to build those negative relations doesn't matter in this world. It's a clean slate. Let's not bring preconceived impressions of each other in that never existed in the reality you are playing in.

The difficulty with modifers having any effect in diplomacy is that it makes the computer make incredibly foolish decisions about it's own management.

We've all seen the times when a computer has been at war with someone on his own continent, makes peace, and next turn is waging war on you, two continents away. This is a poor decision that has always been based on modifiers that you, the player, have had no control over.

The current system seems more geared towards getting the AI to understand the game environment around it, and make decisions accordingly. The computer should know that waging a war with someone that they'll have to go through two other civilizations to even get to, is stupid.

Keeping the modifiers hidden from the player is a fantastic way to ensure that they will have to try and woo the other civilizations intelligently, rather then just by nudging the right dial.

Why? Who in their right mind would be happy about a war being declared with "Respect and honor"?

Maybe the Japanese or the Aztects?

Again, why does this make sense? Why would an invader what a war taken to his own territory?

Because all you did throughout the war was coward behind your city walls, only fortifying yourself.

But anyway now that i`ve read more about this i think the new artificial intelligence will be better and won`t need such modifiers.

Top Bottom