Warmongering Penalty

Valmighty

Warlord
I declared a formal war against an enemy. I immediately got warmonger penalty of about 40s on all leaders. In that war i cede 2 of his cities and liberate 2 city states which are not my allies.

When i captured the cities one by one, my penalty kept adding up until it hit 80s. But it clearly says that liberating city states remove severe penalty, so i did. I checked the penalty immediately, it's still the same. OH maybe it's in the next turn. But it's still the same the next turn. Hmmm i read again, "it will count when the war end whether you decide to keep this city or not" oh okay let's end this war. But no, my penalty doesn't go away and it's exactly the same.

Is this buggy or has some mechanics that i don't know?

I read somewhere that the "Warmonger Penalty Relief" from liberating City-States currently works by eliminating any penalties you would have gotten had you kept that city or razed it. In other words, "relief" = 0 warmonger penalty, not reduction in other penalties acquired.

To Summarize:
  • Razing city = 3x penalty
  • Capturing city = 0.5x penalty initially, 1x if occupied/ceded when war ends
  • Liberating CS = 0x penalty

What I'd like to know is if warmongering penalties hace an impact on war weariness? I heard somewhere that it does i.e the more penalty for war (surprise war etc.) the more easily war weariness accumulates. True or wishful thinking?

What I'd like to know is if warmongering penalties hace an impact on war weariness? I heard somewhere that it does i.e the more penalty for war (surprise war etc.) the more easily war weariness accumulates. True or wishful thinking?
Yes... the war weariness penalty depends on the initial type of war... it does not depend on taking/ceding/liberating cities though.

Yes... the war weariness penalty depends on the initial type of war... it does not depend on taking/ceding/liberating cities though.

^^^ Really? I did a rather quick war with Russia and I had two Causus beli choices. One was standard Causus beli which gave 'severe' and the other was 'religious war' which the penalty was only 'moderate'..you can bet which of the two I chose. I do wish the weariness would degrade faster after the war ends though.

I thought weariness was only a function of units killed or tiles pillaged. Makes sense if type of war matters, cool!

So it's initial type + units killed (friendly and enemy territory)?

Top Bottom