Warmongering Sucks!

Nobody

Gangster
It sucks.

I'm just minding my own business and some jerk attacks me, and because they won't talk peace until either I pay them or I swup them, so I send my army to go take care of business.
And so since I'm at war I decide to snatch a strategic city, or even just hold one to hand back at the end of the war.

Next minute the whole world denounces me because I'm a warmonger. They started the fight, I'm just defending myself!

Now the stupid Greeks won't give me right of passage so my Navy's stuck unless I go take that Greek city, then they will really hate me.

It sucks.

I'm just minding my own business and some jerk attacks me, and because they won't talk peace until either I pay them or I swup them, so I send my army to go take care of business.
And so since I'm at war I decide to snatch a strategic city, or even just hold one to hand back at the end of the war.

Next minute the whole world denounces me because I'm a warmonger. They started the fight, I'm just defending myself!

Now the stupid Greeks won't give me right of passage so my Navy's stuck unless I go take that Greek city, then they will really hate me.
Snatching a strategic city is the problem. Nothing else you describe here generates any Warmonger penalties. Just stop taking cities, and you can wear flowers in your hair again.

Well, you can take cities, just, give them back (maybe with a bit of territory missing). If a single city taken temporarily is enough to push them over the edge to denounce you, your relations were not very good to begin with.

Always check to see if they have an annexed city state too. If they do, liberate it and you won't have to worry about warmongering.

Sometimes you just gotta take out their entire army and do some pillaging, they'll eventually want peace. iirc, I don't think pillaging causes warmongering points. Sometimes you have to wait until they have war weariness problems (which should hit them before you if you are taking out their units).

My current game, Japan declared on me and grabbed my tundra city near them. Then they started swimming across to my mainland, and I rushed a bunch of boats to take them out. I captured my city back, and they were immediately willing to even give me one of their cities to make peace. Maybe they were hurting from other battles, but I never even stepped foot onto their homeland and they were willing to give me any city but their cap.

What you really want to do is stay on the defensive and pillage their tiles, kill their units. Make a friend or two. Eventually they will call for peace. Now send all you units at their border, wait a bit and call for a joint war on them. This time, crush them and only stop if they surrender cities in a deal.

The advantage to this approach is you will have the initiative and also your war partner won't hate you. Other people will, but at least you will have an ally.

Once I formed a warmongering duo with Gandhi and we crushed all in our path. Everyone hated us but it didn't matter.

How does "joint war" work? Sometimes, it's available and then in a few turns when I'm ready to attack my nemesis, the other civ doesn't offer it anymore. Is there some set u[p I need to do?

Snatching a strategic city is the problem. Nothing else you describe here generates any Warmonger penalties. Just stop taking cities, and you can wear flowers in your hair again.
Until somebody else gets pissed for no reason.

There's only one way to create peace in the world - conquer it until there's nobody left in your way!

How does "joint war" work? Sometimes, it's available and then in a few turns when I'm ready to attack my nemesis, the other civ doesn't offer it anymore. Is there some set u[p I need to do?

You both have to be not at war with the other faction, sometimes your friend beats you to it.

You have to both be able to declare war on the civ. For instance, if they just made peace with the other civ or haven't met them yet, it doesn't work. Shouldn't be a problem for your case though. If they became declared friends or allies, though, then you can't have them joint war.

You also have to be at least neutral with the person you're making the deal with, I believe. If you are denounced or unfriendly, I think it doesn't show up. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I guy shoved me in the street, so I punched him back and then took his car.

Now they are trying to arrest me of all people!

Made me laugh. But since they are declaring war, it's more than a simple shove. More like:

Some guy tried to kill me, so I killed him, his entire family, and took his land and home for myself.

Until somebody else gets pissed for no reason.

There's only one way to create peace in the world - conquer it until there's nobody left in your way!
I like to think of it as "compulsory participation." No civ left behind! I let them keep the names of their cities, to demonstrate my benevolence.

Changing "they think you're a warmongerer" to "they think you're overly vindictive" would help.

What you really want to do is stay on the defensive and pillage their tiles, kill their units. Make a friend or two. Eventually they will call for peace. Now send all you units at their border, wait a bit and call for a joint war on them. This time, crush them and only stop if they surrender cities in a deal.

The advantage to this approach is you will have the initiative and also your war partner won't hate you. Other people will, but at least you will have an ally.

Once I formed a warmongering duo with Gandhi and we crushed all in our path. Everyone hated us but it didn't matter.

That is totally hilarious. You formed a war party with Gandhi!?!?!?

I can see him dressed as a general with a corn cob pipe in his hand... :)

This disgusting accusation is an insult that cannot be left unanswered. My armies will visit you soon.

please no I've been doing nothing but spam wonders and hope I don't get attacked :run:

Even with gardening you will have to attack ants at their nest...

Well, I mean sure if you think about it like that it's a vicious and perverted crime against nature. The selective annihilation of whole species in order to make room to quarantine our preferred chosen ones. Chosen ones which we then Isolate in specialized prisons to be pumped full of hormones until made a bloated monstrosity. Then slain, processed, and consumed.

Then there are the people who take a personal sick pleasure in it. Picking out individuals to stick in impossibly small prisons and displayed as they nurture you only just enough to keep you alive as they groom your flesh into ribbons in whatever manner happened to most please this fashion that developed around the art of mutilation, decapitation, ...re-capitation(?), desiccation... and countless more depravities I doubt anyone has even imagined in this context before.

But I mean I think my point is most of us just don't naturally go there, ya know :eek2:

In my opinion, warmonger penalties for you retaliating and taking cities should be quartered if war was declared ON you, not BY you.

I was wondering whether it's possible to reduce the time that the AI consider me as a warmonger.
Would altering this file do it? I'm not sure whether to increase/decrease the value of '50' to reduce warmongering time. Any suggestions?

<Replace Name="DIPLOMACY_WARMONGER_POINT_PERCENT_DECAY" Value="50" />

Last edited:
Top Bottom