Warmonger's Delight Part II - Aztec Style (AWN)

Nad

Known Troublemaker
The first SG I ever started was an ultra-aggressive AW with raging barbs and all-militaristic civs. It's time to return to that variant :).

Civilization: Aztecs, Montezuma (Aggressive, Spiritual)
Difficulty: Noble
Variants: Always War, Raging Barbarians, Aggressive AI, No Technology Trading
Game Speed: Normal
Victory Conditions: All enabled, Conquest required

Map: Standard
Landform: Custom Continents, 1 per team
Climate: Tropical
Sea Level: High

Opponents (5, 1 fewer than normal):

1) Alexander - Greece (Aggressive, Philosophical)
2) Genghis Khan - Mongolia (Aggressive, Expansive)
3) Huayna Capac - Inca (Aggressive, Financial)
4) Napoleon - France (Aggressive, Industrious)
5) Tokugawa - Japan (Aggressive, Organized)

That's the start position. This is the 4000BC save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Warmonger::s_Delight_II_BC-4000.Civ4SavedGame

I'm looking for a team of 5 or 6. Although it's only Noble, it could still be a tough game given the conditions selected and the victory goal. With every civ having its own continent, the early pillage n park strategy is nullified, so we're going to have to do always war the hard way with naval as well as land combat.

No qualifications required to join but it would help if you were confident playing at around prince to monarch, would also help if you enjoy the combat side of things! :goodjob: Once signups are complete, we'll need to discuss early strategy. Go for a religion? Pyramids? Chop frenzy? Found a few cities and take to the seas? Or look to establish an empire and defend?

Signed up:

1) Nad
2) Open
3) Open
4) Open
5) Open
[6) Open]

I'd like to join this one !

My thinking is definitely grab a religion for happy help, shrine income and the production boost (not to mention theocracy). Play it by ear as far as conquering goes, but France and the Inca should probably go earlier rather than later.

M60A3TTS said:
I haven't done a C4 SG to this point, but so long as I get to kill someone, I'm in. :D

I'd say there's a fair possibility that could happen :D

Signed up:

Nad
M60A3TTS
jameson
Open
Open
[Open]

I am a warmonger at heart, can count me in?

Sounds cool, sign me up. Been lurking for a while and would like to play a SG

I'm usually a Prince-Monarch player and liked AW variants. Could be interesting when we can't do pillage and park.

Looks like we started on the southern hemisphere. We have spices nearby so we should probably grab an early religion or two. Not that many trees around so early bronze doesn't seem quite as helpful. Opportunity cost of religions is lower.

Signed Up:

Nad
M60A3TTS
jameson
ThERat
katank
Open

We'll make it a 6 player game, one more open slot.

I'll be looking to start playing tomorrow, so there is still time for comments. I'm thinking grab a religion (which one? Huayna Capac also starts with mysticism so we have no guarantee...I'm thinking Buddhism should still be manageable at Noble), get agriculture, archery, mining and bronze in pretty short order and take it from there. Any other ideas?

Moving the settler SW would give the capital 5 hills to work with. Then with mining we can get a nice productive city to start with.

M60A3TTS said:
Moving the settler SW would give the capital 5 hills to work with. Then with mining we can get a nice productive city to start with.

But that would also place the city 1 tile from the coast, with 3 useless coastal tiles. I'm thinking moving the settler 1 west might be the best move...that would give us 6 hills; with some irrigation, our capital would be a production powerhouse.

We also keep the spices this way.

Ágree with the settler going 1 West; easily the best spot from the looks of it.
I would prefer Hinduism first since that's usually somewhat less risky, but agree on the other tech choices.

agree with settling west, get poly or meditation then archery (we need to wait for our worker before we can use agri), agri, mining and BW

jameson said:
Ágree with the settler going 1 West; easily the best spot from the looks of it.

Not sure I'd go as far as saying it's easily the best.

1. The wooded hill to the SW with 3 shields will be lost permanently.
2. We still get the other spice to the NW by settling 1 SW.
3. Spices don't come until calendar anyways so no immediate benefit.
4. Three coastal tiles admittedly aren't great, but that's not going to be an issue until the city is big.

In any case, 1 West will certainly work.

hi there

i am confident at monarch, I have played many AW in civ4.

I would like to join.
This will be my first SG, so i will need help with technicalities.

Is the hill on the east coastal?

It may be beneficial to have our ca[pital on the coast, especially if there is some seafood in range.

I would explore east with the scout and check it out before settling.
Also, I think there is a possibility to get a worker/ settler from that hut on noble if we pop it before settling...

As to research. If we go for religion, I would start with mysticism, then get agriculture, then get buddhism/hinduism depending on which huyana got. (edit: I just realized we start with mysticism. Well, lets go for buddhism then, working the corn we have an extra commerce.) But I am not sure we need a religion on noble. I would rather concentrate on growth and (naval) exploration. (edit: we should try an early religion, with mysticism under our belt.)

You can't get workers or settlers from huts on noble, only on warlord and below. In any event, I think it's preferable to pop the hut with the scout instead of with the settler founding because the scout has more chance of finding something good there.

If we want to find out about seafood, we should move the scout to the coast first, but only a fish on the coast might change my mind about the spot 1W.

jameson said:
You can't get workers or settlers from huts on noble, only on warlord and below. In any event, I think it's preferable to pop the hut with the scout instead of with the settler founding because the scout has more chance of finding something good there.

If we want to find out about seafood, we should move the scout to the coast first, but only a fish on the coast might change my mind about the spot 1W.

Thanx for clarifying that. Depending on the shape of the coast, if we settle 1 west it could still be possible to settle another city on the eastern coast, so I am fine with that.

Settling 1 west is great as we don't even lose a turn. Making religion grab still fine.

We should probably be able to get meditation if we work the spices. Screwing HC out of his early religion. Less risky would be polytheism.

Pop that hut with the scout before settling.

The hill to the east doesn't look coastal as there's a river right above at a particular angle.

Might want to consider worker first. Even though it's AW, we are on our own for now. By the time the worker finishes farming corn, mining should be done. We are going for mining after a religion, right? Hydra strat might be :crazyeye:

Signed Up:

Nad
M60A3TTS
jameson
ThERat
katank
bihary

Welcome bihary, good to have you on board. You'll pick up the basics of SGs as we go along and if you read some of the other games on the forums, but feel free to ask any questions that you have, I'll certainly be glad to help. We are going to play in the order of sign-up, so there's a few other players before your turn comes up. In the first round you'll be playing 20 turns, in the second round onwards it will be 10-15 turns. The normal 24/48 standard for play applies: when it is your turn, you have 24 hours to let us know you have the game, and a further 48 hours to play and post your turns (if you need a bit of extra time just ask, similarly if you need to swap or skip, just ask). It is advisable to keep a turnlog of your actions in notepad as you play, and then you can post it on the boards with the save file. You can upload screenshots and game files using the forum upload feature or the forum attachment feature. And finally, do chip in to team conversations (as I'm pleased to see you already have!). Discussion of strategy, especially in AW, is key to the fun and success of a SG.

I'm going to play my turns now. I think I'll probably go for Polytheism. We know we're going to have the continent to ourselves but there are raging barbs to consider as well...so I'm thinking barracks, worker, archers. We should be able to do that before the barb units start to appear, but I'll see how it goes.

My take on opening:

Pop hut with scout. Settle 1 west (if no obvious better alternative). Get Buddhism with dye, yes, that is a good idea. After that, work corn.
Buddhism, agriculture, the wheel, mining. after that, probably archery.
I would start on a barracks, then at size 2 get a worker out. Timing will be about right to farm/ road/ mine with worker, and to start producing some veteran archers. I wouldnt bother with earlier military, but you may want to go more safely with a warrior... Then bronze-iron and/or fishing-sailing. It would be nice to have early galleys out to explore and eventually hit someone with jaguars. I wouldnt go for early wonders, rather settle 3-4 cities fast on our continent.

Questions about the map script: My understanding is that there are six continents with 1 civ on each. Are there other irelands/ continents around? How probable do you think it is to cross waters with galleys? How big do you think is our starting continent? 5 cities? More?

Top Bottom