Warmongers

SlothACID

Chieftain
I started a game on Immortal after testing the "AI not building workers" bug.
I was playing as Arabia and had the Aztecs AND Japan as neighbors. They simultaneously invaded me and I was able to hold them off and get peace deals. However the wars set me back from building what I needed, and I'm firmly in last place.

I decided to quit the game instead of playing with 2 AIs that would basically always want to kill me. I've decided to only play for domination now because they pissed me off. :mad:

Was there anything you could've done to deflect their early game aggression? How early did they declare?

They declared around turn 110-120 on standard speed. This was the era of C. Bowmen and spearmen.

I know there was a lot I could have done to delay their aggression, but I was too focused on building my religion to care. For example, I could have built into tradition solely for free garrison to help pay for a defensive army. I could have paid Monty to war with Nobunaga Oda, at the expense of going into unhappiness. It was not feasible to invade either civ because of the Aztecs surrounding jungles and the fact that Japan and I were divided by a small bay with the aztecs in the middle.

Poor gameplay decisions on my part, so by no means think that I'm screaming for changes to this mod. Warmongers behaved just as I should have expected them to. I mostly made this thread to vent.

Ninja edit: Also don't get holy warriors when you have aggressive civs as neighbors. You're going to have a bad time.

Yeah manipulating them into fighting each other is the best way to go if you have the cash and play nice with them. If you have extra luxuries, setting up a trade deal usually holds them back a little.

You do have to build up more than just garrisons and a few token units though. I like having C. Archers as garrisons with 2 soldier, 1 vanguard, 1 siege unit legions. 2 soldiers and vanguard form a defensive line with the siege unit protected by their ZOC.

With proper positioning that sucker is as durable as a cockroach in a nuclear holocaust and can both siege and play defense.

Top Bottom