Warning about 6otM 94

thx for the update. Exciting to see GOTM incorporate the latest updates so we can all try it out.

It would be good for players to tell in their summaries what techs they got so we can compare and see if the tech trees remain consistent for everyone, so games are comparable, or if the RNG affects the tech tree as the game goes along. You do not need to list them all, maybe the first 10 or 12? Thanks.

My hunch is that because we distribute the game via a save file, the tech tree should be the same for everyone. Else Everytime you reload a game we would be expecting a totally different tech tree. But we'll see.

My hunch is that because we distribute the game via a save file, the tech tree should be the same for everyone. Else Everytime you reload a game we would be expecting a totally different tech tree. But we'll see.

That is my belief as well. The new game play mode will force people to change some of their game play, as racing for a tech or wonder may not be feasible not knowing the exact route and cost

This would be very interesting with a Science victory :mischief:. Also, I really appreciate all the care and thought the 6otM team are putting in these and always try to figure out what their intentions were during play.

This would be very interesting with a Science victory :mischief:. Also, I really appreciate all the care and thought the 6otM team are putting in these and always try to figure out what their intentions were during play.
this should have a major effect on science and culture wins, less on domination and religion. We spend a good week each month trying to find an interesting map in 6otM. In 5 it takes me a couple of rolls and map tweaks, usually under an hour, to get it ready.

When the game is created, the tech and civic trees are randomized. The dependencies change as well as the positions on the tech and civic trees. Some examples from a recent test game.

Spoiler :

20200829082553_1.jpg

20200829082616_1.jpg

"Tech and Civic Shuffle Mode

This new game mode adds variety to the tech tree, as it shuffles techs and civics within their historical eras, leading to different costs and prerequisites than normal. The resulting trees are the same for all players. Techs and civics are also hidden until a prerequisite is earned, preserving the mystery of discovery all the way until the end of the game."

The way this patch note is worded makes me think this mode works the same way as Future tech and civics have been working. That is, placement of them is randomized at map creation and preserved in the saves.

"Tech and Civic Shuffle Mode

This new game mode adds variety to the tech tree, as it shuffles techs and civics within their historical eras, leading to different costs and prerequisites than normal. The resulting trees are the same for all players. Techs and civics are also hidden until a prerequisite is earned, preserving the mystery of discovery all the way until the end of the game."

The way this patch note is worded makes me think this mode works the same way as Future tech and civics have been working. That is, placement of them is randomized at map creation and preserved in the saves.
We have done some testing and have found that the tech/civ trees are locked at the start and all players have the same trees, thus we will be able to use this game play mode for 6otM

Top Bottom