Warning: you cannot release Venetian CS

jjkrause84

King
Found out the hard way that once Venice takes over a CS you cannot free them...they are gone from the game forever. Great. Brilliantly thought-out, as usual....

Same as Austria, so nothing new there.

Found out the hard way that once Venice takes over a CS you cannot free them...they are gone from the game forever. Great. Brilliantly thought-out, as usual....

Totally agree, brilliantly thought out as usual. Ed Beach should get an award.

Why would they need liberating? They joined the Venician Empire willingly.

... Huh. Never thought of it that way before, but you're right! That actually makes perfect sense. Bravo.

Yes, a big bad Venetian merchant beat them over the head with the bag of gold coins he just gave them...:rolleyes:

Well, to be fair the merchant of venice on the icon looks PISSED and really tough. He looks like he's about to open up a can of woop arse. Seriously, that coat was personally harvested by hand, and that shirt? It started the day off white.

Well, to be fair the merchant of venice on the icon looks PISSED and really tough. He looks like he's about to open up a can of woop arse. Seriously, that coat was personally harvested by hand, and that shirt? It started the day off white.

Merchants were badass back then huh?

Is that why purchasing City-States is free? Merchant of Venices don't "purchase" City-States, they "take" it.

Darius: Alexander! Belgrade's gonna be ... taken! We shall make peace!
Alexander: Whatever noob. Prepare to be ... taken!
*transmission
Alexander: What? Huh? What happened to Belgrade?! I was 20 years away from getting my next set of sweet sweet Hoplites!
Enrico Dandolo: Oh, sorry amico. I didn't know they were your ally.
Alexander: Belgrade ... Belgrade ... Belgrade's been ... taken!
Darius: Hey Enrico, how about we declare war on Alexander?
Enrico: Sure! I need to expand my trade routes anyway.
*Enrico Dandolo has declared war on Alexander!
*transmission
Alexander: What?! No! My empire's been ... taken!
Darius: Yeah! High five Enrico, my friend!
Enrico Dandolo: Shut up! Prepare to be taken ... by me! Venezia ftw!
Darius: Huh .. what?!

Is that why purchasing City-States is free? Merchant of Venices don't "purchase" City-States, they "take" it.

Darius: Alexander! Belgrade's gonna be ... taken! We shall make peace!
Alexander: Whatever noob. Prepare to be ... taken!
*transmission
Alexander: What? Huh? What happened to Belgrade?! I was 20 years away from getting my next set of sweet sweet Hoplites!
Enrico Dandolo: Oh, sorry amico. I didn't know they were your ally.
Alexander: Belgrade ... Belgrade ... Belgrade's been ... taken!
Darius: Hey Enrico, how about we declare war on Alexander?
Enrico: Sure! I need to expand my trade routes anyway.
*Enrico Dandolo has declared war on Alexander!
*transmission
Alexander: What?! No! My empire's been ... taken!
Darius: Yeah! High five Enrico, my friend!
Enrico Dandolo: Shut up! Prepare to be taken ... by me! Venezia ftw!
Darius: Huh .. what?!

Its not free. The merchant is using the money he would have made during a trade mission to instead buy the city state.

Has anyone ever seen or given a reasonable explanation as to why Venice and Austria can remove city-states from the game? I'm not talking about how it's rationalized (ie the 'They joined willingly!' argument) but rather the design decision/reasoning behind those mechanics.

Sure, they can be real buzzkills to diplomatic play by "wiping out" the competition, at least from my understanding.

On the other hand, if Venice loses its Capital, it is left with its CS territories as puppets, so they're screwed if they can't win it back.

Anyone ever thought of buying out entire CSs to lower the delegate/vote count?

I guess that's one way to look at it, but it is not quite like the Austrian 'royal marriage' one (which I find equally frustrating, btw). At least Austria must be an ally to the CS, Venice does not.

Frankly, you should never be able to take out a CS forever (that's why you can't raze their cities, right?). It is too unbalancing. Either that or wiping out a CS should lead to a new one being spawned somewhere else after 'x' number of turns.

I am rather satisfied with venice, I really enjoy playing as them, but I'll give you this minor point. It would be nice to be able to release city states, although my reasoning is different. I find that in wars, tactically, you HAVE to kill some city state, and sometimes you don't really care about having the city or the land, you just need a way to get them to stop sending units at you from that flank. So you take a huge eliminated player diplo hit just to push them out of the way so you can wrap around with your army. If I could "release" the city upon capture and it would go back to neutral with me, that would be ideal. Especially when I'm going for one of the more peaceful VCs and I'm just looking to pressure the backstabber's cities enough to garner enough respect for a peace deal. Instead, in my first venice game, everyone hated me for killing that CS, and I had to switch gears and fight a domination game.

I am rather satisfied with venice, I really enjoy playing as them, but I'll give you this minor point. It would be nice to be able to release city states, although my reasoning is different. I find that in wars, tactically, you HAVE to kill some city state, and sometimes you don't really care about having the city or the land, you just need a way to get them to stop sending units at you from that flank. So you take a huge eliminated player diplo hit just to push them out of the way so you can wrap around with your army. If I could "release" the city upon capture and it would go back to neutral with me, that would be ideal. Especially when I'm going for one of the more peaceful VCs and I'm just looking to pressure the backstabber's cities enough to garner enough respect for a peace deal. Instead, in my first venice game, everyone hated me for killing that CS, and I had to switch gears and fight a domination game.

That's a great idea. When you capture a CS you should ALWAYS be given the opportunity to 'liberate' or 'subjugate' them....making them your close ally for a long time. That might work well, actually.

Top Bottom