Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain

To be honest, I never tried installing from the download that is on this site.

I designed this for PTW and intentionally left any files I wasn't changing out, as PTW will look in the standard Civ3 directories for anything it can't find. If you are installing this on Civ3 you probably need to install it over top of a standard set of terrain files to get all of the default files.

The best way to do it is to download it from top of page 5 and then open the folder and select and drag the files over. Then just hit "yes" when it asks to replace the files. Just make sure you back up all files that ou are replacing first.

Warpstorm,

in another thread you said: "Y'all should get PTW for that reason alone. [..] You can build your graphics without having to overwrite any files." I've got PtW and I would like to change some parts of your Watercolor graphic mod, but I don't want to overwrite the original. How do I do this?

I guess my question boils down to this: what is in the "Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.bix" file and how do I create similar one on my own?

Thanks,

Delmar

Actually, there is nothing in the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.bix. It is there to make use of the fact that the scenario search path looks for directories with the same name as your scenario.

The simplest way would be to just copy the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain directory to new folder in the PTW\Scenarios folder and make a scenario named the same thing as your folder. You could then change the pcx files in it and not mess up the original files at all. Just load the new scenario.

A more flexible (but more complex) way to do this with the least copying (if that matters) would be to copy the particular pcx files that you want to change into a parallel directory structure. Then make a scenario and in the the Scenario Search Folders field put your scenario name first then Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.

For example, say that your mod was called DelmarWC and you wanted to modify the goodyhuts.pcx file from my mod.

First make a directory under you PTW\Scenarios directory named DelmarWC. In this directory make an Art\Terrain directory and copy goodyhuts.pcx into it. Mod this file (PTW\Scenarios\DelmarWC\Art\Terrain\goodyhuts.pcx).

Create a new scenario (the name won't matter for this technique) and in the Scenario Search Folders field on the Scenario Properties page put this string:

DelmarWC;Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

The more complex method can be used to add these files to any mod.

Warpstorm have you ever thought anout doing another graphic set?

Originally posted by warpstorm
Create a new scenario (the name won't matter for this technique) and in the Scenario Search Folders field on the Scenario Properties page put this string:

DelmarWC;Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

This is awsome... How many yers did you say you went to artis school??? =D

Originally posted by Sir John
This is awsome... How many yers did you say you went to artis school??? =D

Would you believe none. I'm not really an artist, I just wanted a terrain set that looked sort of like this, so I made it.

Dude, I love your tileset so much, I used it in my Medeival Japan scenario (you can see it in the completed scenarios forum).

Attachments

• sc1.gif
    sc1.gif
    30 KB · Views: 944
Not likely, it took me forever to put them in. :)

How hard would it be to use yr graphics with another mod, say... DYP?

RSL

Originally posted by cursif
How hard would it be to use yr graphics with another mod, say... DYP?

RSL
Not hard at all!
In the Editor, go to Scenario\scenario properties.
In the Scenario Search Folders, add

..\Scenarios\Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

add 4 cc mouse blood and a soft boiled egg, enjoy!
:D

If DYP added custom resources you may need to juggle the order of searched directories so that their resources show up instead of mine.

Thanks, mrtn.

BTW, moderately detailed instructions on how to use the search folders are included in the editor help (with an interesting example ;) )

Oh, yeah.

Stay tuned for the Conquests version...

Hopefully I will get C3C tomorrow. If my changes all work with the final version I'll release a Conquests version real soon. Even if there are issues, I'll probably have a version out by this weekend.

Well, any chances of getting it? Looks good, and I'd like to try it out on C3C...:)

[Edit] Just realised a link in your sig to the C3C version...:blush: Sorry o bump this up.

Top Bottom