1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warren Buffett Gives Away His Fortune

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Civrules, Jun 25, 2006.

1. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

Job training cannot happen without basic education and democracy cannot deliver results without a population which can make the government accountable.
    Infrastructure development, of the kind India needs, will come from investors because there is money to be made here. Indians will also get the benefit if they are educated, competent to do those jobs and live in a law-abiding relatively peaceful society.

people with AIDS are sick not stupid as you make them out to be. They know they have AIDS and will be told that children they have will probably get AIDS. Their dependents, as in children they might have had before the disease hit them, or elderly parents and other dependents should not have to starve to death because the breadwinners are too sick to work. Which is what has devastated many countries in Africa which have high rates of infection.

It is 10 more years to be able to work, reduce levels of dependency on them, and continue to be contributing members of the public.

So we let them die of starvation and disease?
    Maybe we should also kill all persons with a handicap or anybody who cannot work after the age of 60 or children who can't be put into employment since they cannot support themselves anyway and need somebody else's help.

Again, you betray a complete ignorance of what is micro-credit.

Micro-credit demands repayment. The women are told that this is a loan which they have to repay at a certain interest. They live in the village and consider their ability to repay the loan far more important than trying to run away with it at the first opportunity. The importance of micro-credit comes in that it prevents them from having to go to traditional money-lenders who charge exorbitant rates of interest and gives them amounts no bank ever thinks of forwarding.

Trust me, it is a very capitalist system and not charity by any means as it is encouraging people with small capital to be entrepreneurs as against the traditional notion of an entrepreneur being one who is able to raise large sums of money.

http://www.gdrc.org/icm/what-is-ms.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit

2. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

Well I did not see this thread when I posted a bit on this

Gates & Buffett are just like Rockefeller and Carnegie. THESE are the kinds of capitalists that show the system undoubtably works

3. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

Unfortunately it is the Kenneth Lays and Marth Stewart that seem to take up more column inches.... considering their net effect (not to sound too cruel) is on fewer people than the net benefit Buffet and Gates have provided.

4. Tulkas12

Tulkas12 Emperor

Though this is true, I'd imagine that this will probably in the long run be one of the most awe-inspiring actions since the rockefellars put a library in all those US towns back in the day.

He really does deserve a Nobel Peace Prize imo. This is a man who has lived in the same house for 50 years in Omaha of all places, I think his intentions are clean. God bless the Sage of Omaha.

Thanks to perfection for the link btw.

5. Xenocrates

Xenocrates Deity

This is the best of America. America has always been, at least until the neocon takeover, synonymous with philantropy. You have always been way ahead of us Europeans in this regard, we seem to expect the Government to take responsibility more.

Actually I think the roots of this are Scottish with Andrew Carnegie.

from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carnegie/sfeature/p_sci.html

These are wise words indeed.

In my view, this is what China really lacks. There are a few charities, it's true, but not effective. I'd love to see a group Chinese businessmen break out of the ''grab as much as you can see'' phase of development and follow in Carnegie's footsteps.

6. Tulkas12

Tulkas12 Emperor

Thanks for the correction, I knew it was the rocks or carnegies, took a stab and missed.

It is the best of America, no doubt.