Warring is often boring and awfully tiresome

haha, well I mean that the AI doesnt send a scout unit/mongolian skirmisher behind enemy lines to pillage that precious horse/iron spot as the human can do :)

Not passing any judgement here. If you don't genuinely enjoy maximizing the number of your units shooting at the enemy every turn, I don't know what to say. Also there is no way you have to move up all your 100 units every single turn unless you are at war with like 3-4 different AIs, with some naval warfare on top of land warfare. The one unit per tile system makes sure of that since most of the time there is not enough space for all units to be involved in the first place.

Here is an interesting mod that attempts to fix many problems with army management. It has features like giving orders to multiple units at the same time, stacking warrior and settler in a group like in civ 6, etc..
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=562829462
Sadly it is full of bugs and doesn't work with VP.
If someone could fix it it would make mid/late game wars much more enjoyable.

I guess there must be a way to decrease military supply for all players. Reduce it in half and you should see fewer units in the field.

For a couple months been testing a mod mod of VP with the supply cap reduced by 75%, city strength reduced to 50% (necessary to reduce both) and a slight buff to AI melee. The latest AI plays it very well all the way to the future era. It can still form military operations of all kinds both land, sea and air. It knows how to defend with limited supply.

To win by domination on a ten player game I needed about 40 units which was well over the cap but for domination it doesn't matter whether you are crippling your economy to win. Forty units was just within the tedium level of ok.

There is a bit of an issue with reducing the supply cap though. If one player goes over the cap it forces the other players to respond similarly like an arms race. So the supply cap finds its own natural limit which brings down the global economy to some degree. But it is highly dependent and not clear yet whether it matters (to me it doesn't). The AI is already programmed to be sensitive to this and will go over the cap if necessary.

I
For a couple months been testing a mod mod of VP with the supply cap reduced by 75%, city strength reduced to 50% (necessary to reduce both) and a slight buff to AI melee. The latest AI plays it very well all the way to the future era. It can still form military operations of all kinds both land, sea and air. It knows how to defend with limited supply.

To win by domination on a ten player game I needed about 40 units which was well over the cap but for domination it doesn't matter whether you are crippling your economy to win. Forty units was just within the tedium level of ok.

There is a bit of an issue with reducing the supply cap though. If one player goes over the cap it forces the other players to respond similarly like an arms race. So the supply cap finds its own natural limit which brings down the global economy to some degree. But it is highly dependent and not clear yet whether it matters (to me it doesn't). The AI is already programmed to be sensitive to this and will go over the cap if necessary.
I always thought that there should be a hard cap that does not allow more units to be produced or purchased, maybe 50% over the normal limit. But I was alone in this.

I find this mod helpful for managing wars and in general:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136124158

For me, the more, the merrier

I love the grind and commanding huge armies, executing simultaneous operations in different parts of the map.

What I dislike is moving units back to the base AFTER the war. And my biggest gripe with the game is the constant open borders / gimme 1 horse for 1 gpt spam from AIs in the late game.
I too find the AI deal spam annoying. You can turn off all AI deal offers by editing "My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(1) Community Patch/Core Files/Core Changes/DiploAIOptions.sql", and changing the line
SELECT 'DIPLOAI_DISABLE_TRADE_OFFERS', '0';
to
SELECT 'DIPLOAI_DISABLE_TRADE_OFFERS', '1';

You do have to play a bit more carefully since you need to make all the deals yourself. However I was having way too many reloads from accidental enter presses, since the AI feels to the need to offer horses, wars, and other fine deals multiple times per turn, many of which are crippling if accidentally accepted.

I find that late game AI insists on tagging WORLD MAP (sometimes multiple instances on the same side) into trade deals, despite both they and I having explored all but maybe 2-3 tiles of the map.

I actually enjoy micromanaging a large army fighting wars in multiple fronts. The only thing I don’t like is watching the AI do it against units that aren’t mine. I remember in one game Mongolia attacked a CS ally on the other side of the map and every turn I had to watch him micro like 20 units against a city I had no way of protecting.

I really don’t care to watch wars that don’t directly involve my units.

I actually enjoy micromanaging a large army fighting wars in multiple fronts. The only thing I don’t like is watching the AI do it against units that aren’t mine. I remember in one game Mongolia attacked a CS ally on the other side of the map and every turn I had to watch him micro like 20 units against a city I had no way of protecting.

I really don’t care to watch wars that don’t directly involve my units.

There is an option for this, quick turns is what it's called I think. It'll just skip AI really quickly.

There is an option for this, quick turns is what it's called I think. It'll just skip AI really quickly.

I always select quick combat & quick movement to speed things up.

see Quick Turns mod. Haven't used it in a while but was compatible on older versions of VP iirc. Not sure why i stopped come to think of it

Would you be willing to share this mod-mod? That sounds like it could be enjoyable

Yes it is better in my opinion. I read your thoughts on happiness system which is also addressed by the same mod. If you are interested could you message me and I'll send you a link. If you think it is good I could release it publicly.

I always thought that there should be a hard cap that does not allow more units to be produced or purchased, maybe 50% over the normal limit. But I was alone in this.

Hi tu I had a look at the code. Your wish exists. You can't train or buy units if you are more than 15 units over the cap. the "15" is hard-coded.

Hi tu I had a look at the code. Your wish exists. You can't train or buy units if you are more than 15 units over the cap. the "15" is hard-coded.
Is it? For some reason it looks as if there is no real limit. Well, if it is not bugged, then lowering the supply should work. I don't face carpets of units, but then I play on King nowadays.

Is it? For some reason it looks as if there is no real limit. Well, if it is not bugged, then lowering the supply should work. I don't face carpets of units, but then I play on King nowadays.

Definitely not bugged have tested it. 15 over supply is a hard cap unless there are other sources of units than production and purchase which throw it out.

It is possible to lower the supply limit a lot and still get the same gameplay experience in my opinion. If you allow ten garrisons for ten cities and three armies of five units that means 10+3*5=25 units for a playable game.

I found that after lowering the supply limit down a drastic 75% what happened was that I need roughly 25 units to defend myself in renaissance regardless of the cap but this put me over the cap a lot. Then starvation starts as food is redirected from the cities to the troops and this then reduces the supply cap further as the population declines which reduces the supply cap further.

This positive feedback only is a problem when you are being dogpiled and the other AI's have you as their attack target and so they only need to support one army and may even be able to pull off their garrisons for the attack.

So the supply cap is really an economic punishment system as well as an anti-dogpile insurance policy. The amount of troops you need is minimally independent of the supply cap itself.

Although people like playing with lots of units (I don't) I think a supply cap of max 25 units by industrial is doable.

Last edited:
This positive feedback only is a problem when you are being dogpiled and the other AI's have you as their attack target and so they only need to support one army and may even be able to pull off their garrisons for the attack.
You seem to imply that this situation rarely happens. It's almost the norm in my games. In the most extreme cases I can actually lose a city, which was unthinkable before playing with VP. And this can happen even if my borders are saturated with units that I can rotate to replace the injured ones with fresh ones, thus preventing the AIs from using their superior numbers. Using your change would mean that some of my borders would inevitably get overrun, and my cities would get attacked from multiple tiles much easier, even if the AIs have lower supply cap themselves.

Although people like playing with lots of units (I don't) I think a supply cap of max 25 units by industrial is doable.
I guess it would depend on your playstyle and the map size. A limit of 25 units by industrial era for a 10+ cities empire is very restrictive, especially if you need a navy. Maybe for a small map it would be fine, but certainly not for a standard map or larger. Again, if you have a lot of territory to defend you just need more units to do it reasonably well. I think it's just common sense at this point.

It's almost as if some players want a large empire without managing a large number of units. Am I missing something ?

A limit of 25 units by industrial era for a 10+ cities empire is very restrictive, especially if you need a navy.

I agree. If you were to go with such an approach I think you would need two separate supply pools, one for land, one for navy. I see the appeal of preventing a very large land army, but you have to allow for the ability to have a balanced land/naval force, which is not possible with such low supply numbers.

I agree. If you were to go with such an approach I think you would need two separate supply pools, one for land, one for navy. I see the appeal of preventing a very large land army, but you have to allow for the ability to have a balanced land/naval force, which is not possible with such low supply numbers.
It's kind of like this now, since coastal cities get extra supply via coastal buildings.

Top Bottom