Warring is often boring and awfully tiresome

Sorry to keep asking you things but how do you lock at war? I know civ4 had an always war option but I never could find one for civ5.

Use the Really Advanced Setup mod. I want to integrate this into base VP...

You can certainly lock it, no clue if the AI can react to that correctly.

Always war is a lot of fun so far if very silly. It is very literal so everyone is at war with everyone else. So there are CS fighting barbs fighting scouts all over the place.

I don't think this is quite impossible, assuming you are allowed to war.

No one noticed, but it is certainly impossible to have 44 civs on a 43 civ map. :p

Even better idea: Brazil instead of Portugal.

Can you lock always peace? If so, does the AI understand those rules?

Yes, and yes. At least on the diplomacy side, always war should be handled properly. Military should be generally capable as well.

You can certainly lock it, no clue if the AI can react to that correctly.

Always war is a lot of fun so far if very silly. It is very literal so everyone is at war with everyone else. So there are CS fighting barbs fighting scouts all over the place.

You are always at war with this player! Diplomacy should be the least of your concerns.

The AI really is quite impressive as always. Half the units but twice the threat of normal civ. Even the CS can bum rush your cities.

Here is a proof of concept mod for anyone that wants to play with lower unit supply. It is totally customizable. Find the values you think work for you.

Variables you can change are:
---UNIT MICRO
  • 'UNIT_SUPPLY_CAP_PERCENT', '25'; --- '100' is default. Unit supply cap reduced to 'UNIT_SUPPLY_CAP_PERCENT' percent of normal
  • 'UNIT_SUPPLY_HARD_LIMIT', '5'; --- '15' is default. Cannot exceed this many units plus 1 over the supply cap
  • 'CITY_STRENGTH_CAP_PERCENT', '25'; --- '100' is default. Cap city strength at 'CITY_STRENGTH_CAP_PERCENT' percent of normal
  • 'AI_BASE_MELEE_COMPENSATION', '110'; --- '100' is default. AI melee combat strength buffed by AI_BASE_MELEE_COMPENSATION percent
  • 'AI_BASE_RANGED_COMPENSATION', '100'; --- '100' is default. AI ranged combat strength buffed by AI_BASE_RANGED_COMPENSATION percent

---CITY MICRO
  • 'AVOID_CITY_GROWTH', '1'; --- '0' is vanilla.
  • 'NO_CITY_RANGE_STRIKE', '1'; --- '0' is vanilla.

Change any value you want in the file "code.sql" with a text editor. It will update when the mod is reloaded.

Notes:
  • Not save game compatible with vanilla VP.
  • Single player only. Multiplayer will not work because of how I compiled it
  • Only works with VP 4-16-21.
  • Players can still go over the supply hard limit if they get units from other sources than being built in cities.
  • I lowered the values to their minimum extremes that still work fine.
  • I added AI boosts to unit strength options in case you think it is too easy to walk over the AI with lower unit supply.
  • Unit maintenance is compensated for lower supply.
  • Avoid growth is disabled by default and the AI cannot avoid growth either.
  • City range strike is disabled by default and the AI cannot use it either.
  • As of posting I haven't tested it by hand much. Just 5-6 autoplay runs.
  • AI plays with 25 percent unit supply just fine not impeded at all and will attack and defend like usual.
  • The AI will go over the cap when it thinks it is under threat or preping war
  • At low city strength values final city capture becomes a game of "last man standing" which the AI understands.
  • The way it works means the DLL will scale unit supply so for example great generals unit supply is not '2' but scaled by UNIT_SUPPLY_CAP_PERCENT.
  • Should see performance improvements depending on how much you lower unit supply

Attachments

• VP Less Micro 4-16-21 (v 1).zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I enjoy warring, but the number of units, and the AI completely leaving you even a few turns not at war with someone is causing it to be a bit much.

My guess is all the wars are caused in part to bribing ais now being a massive thing, but it feels like you can't do anything but war all game.

I enjoy warring, but the number of units, and the AI completely leaving you even a few turns not at war with someone is causing it to be a bit much.

My guess is all the wars are caused in part to bribing ais now being a massive thing, but it feels like you can't do anything but war all game.

There is a setting to turn off bribed wars

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/bribed-wars-ruin-games.663553/

Go into your mod folder, the default location in windows is:

C:\Users\emusk\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Changes

(your login will replace "emusk")

Edit the file named DiploAIOptions.

Change the "0" to a "1" for anything you want to change.

Turning bribed wars off has made the whole game much more enjoyable and engaging for me.
  • No longer in constant pointless phoney wars where the AI doesn't even attack or simply can't attack as they are too far away and they offer peace as soon as the timer runs out.
  • When wars do happen they seem more dramatic as the AI has actually planned for it, has objectives and actively engages in them.
  • When the AI DoW's you it is generally a lot more scary as (per the previous point) they have prepared for the war and usually massed units to attack at least one of your cities.
  • Diplomacy is much more engaging as you can actually make friends without you simply waiting for the inevitable bribed war getting you denouced by a friend and then the whole world hates you as you were denounced by a friend
  • Research agreements are actually worth it as the AI can no longer be bribed into DoWing you just before it is about to expire
  • Warmongers can be much more threatening as (a) they only declare wars they planned for so they are more likely to take cities and grow bigger and (b) they don't get so distracted by being bribed into spurious wars which often distract them and often make it easier for the player in particular to exploit that divided attention
  • Warmongering and or simply dealing with a neighbour via war becomes much more tricky and a lot more thought has to go into it as you now have to consider defensive pacts. I often DoW a thrid party who has a defensive pact with my real target but has more favourable defensive pacts overall (not reallistically going to interfer with the war i am want to have). With bribed wars you can pretty much guarantee the AI (even a 'friend') will DoW you which negates their defensive pacts and saves you a bit of warmonger hate
  • It elimiantes a mechanic the AI can seem to do effortlessly yet whenever i tried to bribe an AI into war it was always 'impossible' and at best i could exploit it getting an AI to pay me for a war i was already going to declare.
The game i am currently playing i spawn next to Monty and Darius. Darius was actually my neighbour while the Ottomans were an initial buffer between me and Monty. I am going Tradiition/science victory so minimal cities and relatively small army but considering maximising defense at all times...defensive city locations, not forward settling Monty or Darius, grabbing important tiles ASAP and keeping my army as large as possible.

I am in the modern era and had a total of three wars, two of which i instigated/provoked.

The first war was late ancient classical war of opportunity where Monty was taking over the Ottomans and i cynically jumped in once Monty was obviously winning to grab a prime Ottoman city on my border which had some nice resources, looked heavily defendable from my side and allowed me to grow a little to enable a larger army to discourage attacks/defend myself from Monty and Darius as well as keep Monty friendly for a while (war with a common enemy).

After being friendly for a long time due my dimplomacy (which actually counts without bribed wars) and wars with all his other neighbours Monty DoW's me just as the great wall expires and we have a protracted siege of one of my border cities which i only just about kept due to city loaction of hills surrounded by jungle/forests and rivers in the area really slowing down his attack and liberal use of roads to enable me to cycle units but my city was only a couple of turns away from capture before i actually managed to secure it and he gave up on the city. As i had gone for unit techs at this point i managed to take one of his cities and liberate a Ottoman one to weaken him using more modern units to counter his larger army.

Darius has never been friendly especially as i converted him and wiped out his religion but with the Great Wall, carefully picked defensive border cities, buying strategic tiles, rough terrain on the border and keeping my army strength up i discouraged him from DoWing me until the modern era. This one i kind of instigated or at least provoked as just before he had placed two citadels to steal some of my territory which seemed more like he was trolling me really as neither were particularly useful (as i usually make sure important tiles are in at least the second ring so they can't be citadel bombed) and as he had now gobbled up my 3 other neighbours giving him an open terrain border to attack from so it seemed inevitable we would end up at war now so i trolled him with a couple of citadels also and he eventually DoW'd me as expected.

With bribed wars on i would usually end up having had more DoW's against me before the classical era. I would have no friends and probably chain denounced by the medieval era at the latest.

I like the hexagon map and one unit per tile system.. but... the game would be much more fun with alot less troops to move around...

I never finish my domination victory games since the grind is just too much for me... In the end one could be moving over a hundred pieces, each turn (in later eras) and this is experienced as nothing but a 'chore'. I think this ruins the fun of warring. I only like it in the earlier eras, due to then having a more balanced number of units.

Therefore I choose to play peacefully/defensively most of the time and regret the times I tried going for a domination victory.

How do you feel about it?
I actually enjoy this aspect of the game, am I just a weirdo? :p
I love looking at terrain and the best routes for my troops, best invasion locations, thinking about escape routes in my mind, where I'm going to place artillery, if air/naval support is possible, deciding how quickly I can get reinforcements if things go bad etc before moving my pieces in place. Just part of the fun for me

It's when the war over and I have to move all my units to their homebases where it's a slight chore.

My ONLY wish is where like in Civ3 you could put multiple units in one transport ship/helicopter to transport them. I wouldn't mind that for crossing oceans.

Weirdo!!!! hehe, so for me its about repetition. Generally I like me one really good war a game. I get into it, I do my thing, I position my troops, and then I win! (and feel awesome). And then after that....ug its just tedious.

I love looking at terrain and the best routes for my troops, best invasion locations, thinking about escape routes in my mind, where I'm going to place artillery, if air/naval support is possible, deciding how quickly I can get reinforcements if things go bad etc before moving my pieces in place. Just part of the fun for me

It's when the war over and I have to move all my units to their homebases where it's a slight chore.

My ONLY wish is where like in Civ3 you could put multiple units in one transport ship/helicopter to transport them. I wouldn't mind that for crossing oceans.
Yes, you are weirdo. And I am one too :) I have it the same as you - with one exception, I do not wish for the transport ships to come back.

I like killing so many units my all stuff is super high level. But yeah one game like that is enough for ages.

Use the Really Advanced Setup mod. I want to integrate this into base VP...
The only problem I have with the integration of RAS is that I like to play with HotSeat but that mod does not have support for HotSeat

(Nuts, I did not realize that I was replying to a post over 3 months old. Sorry)

Last edited:
I'd love it if one day the tactics AI plays as well as humans. We can remove all AI XP/production/supply/maintenance bonuses and wars will start to be "fair" with both sides having equal units and humans don't rely on overleveled units to steamroll the AI.

I heard a lot of talk on here about people giving up or calling it a win by Industrial era. If you play a huge map on Deity, you may be surprised how much the AI can put up a fight in the Information Age. You may think you're on a landslide but are you a gigantic country?? Perhaps the small countries may surprise you and start greatly overtaking you on technology and polices by the information age. Not to mention when the other Civs "know you're going to win and don't like it" things can get intense. Or, you may be fighting for the win to destroy someone that is about to complete the spaceship or get cultural victory. I'm not saying any of this gets any less tedious, but I'm just making a point lol

I heard a lot of talk on here about people giving up or calling it a win by Industrial era. If you play a huge map on Deity, you may be surprised how much the AI can put up a fight in the Information Age. You may think you're on a landslide but are you a gigantic country?? Perhaps the small countries may surprise you and start greatly overtaking you on technology and polices by the information age. Not to mention when the other Civs "know you're going to win and don't like it" things can get intense. Or, you may be fighting for the win to destroy someone that is about to complete the spaceship or get cultural victory. I'm not saying any of this gets any less tedious, but I'm just making a point lol

I have no doubt that what you say is true, but I get bored by the the time the modern ages start coming around, & usually start afresh. Modern warfare does nothing to me, & certainly not interested in nuclear bombs & Giant Death Robots.

I have no doubt that what you say is true, but I get bored by the the time the modern ages start coming around, & usually start afresh. Modern warfare does nothing to me, & certainly not interested in nuclear bombs & Giant Death Robots.
Well modern warfare is definitely dramatically different than most of the game. I'll admit I rarely make it that far myself. There are so many great games to play after all haha. But I went all the way last game and I'm going for it again this time. Some things I found surprising was that nuclear weapons is not the end all I thought it was. I nuked my strongest enemy many times. And depending on how much uranium you have it's not like you'll be able to save up for a large amount of ICBMs at once. You as a player can even handle a few nuclear hits as well. As long as it doesn't hit your capital or your best cities of course. And then the planes add another element beyond melee and ranged. I also feel VP does the best job of adding new problems to a overly large civ. It's like okay you've taken over 2/3 of the world... Now manage it. It's not as easy as it seems and all the other Civs start hating you.

I feel the modern warfare and units does help smaller Civs start competing against the juggernauts

unfortunately by modern age i start crashing :(
i have to give up games once i start regularly crashing. sometimes the save won't even load it'll just CTD while loading.

i should play smaller maps really :D

but yeah you're right, once enemy got tanks long range artillery and bombers i was actually struggling to liberate my friend (was trying to liberate US from Iroqouis and failing miserably). unfortunately the game started to crash so had to abandon anyway

Top Bottom