1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Warrior Monks

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Trengilly, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

I gave Khmer a try and focused on a Warrior Monk rush.

It was interesting.

I got hard hit by barbs and hand only Montezuma in neighborhood (city states were all on the other side of him and Indonesia as I was to discover).

I just managed to get a religion but didn't have any culture bonuses so it took a long time to get to Theology for the temple and apostle. Still the warrior monk go through Eagle Warriors nicely. Walls are another matter but a battering ram did the trick.

As I finished off Monty I discovered that Indonesia was behind him and that I would be attacking from the land - how hard can they be without having to face their Jongs? Well it was fine until the knights showed up. Monks don't fare well against knights. I could handle the odd being careful. But the walls were too tough.

So I had to wait for the Domrey Elephants. They are pretty nice - the move and shoot is really helpful and they can handle the level 40's walls nicely.

It was hard work but I got there in the end - finished off with control of my continent and then held on for a culture win.

The monks are really tricky. You have to get your religion and culture up fast to get them in play quickly. But they don't last long. Their first promotion is pretty weak and it takes a long time to get the level 2 and 4 promotions that give them staying power.

nzcamel and Haig like this.
  2. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

I just used them in a game as Khmer. I've found them really useful though I haven't warred enough to keep their promotions updated. But they came at the right time for me for a war against Alexander. I had the new pantheon which gives faith for tiles with appeal over charming and I was able to crank out a few monks as he declared on me and that probably saved me because he had fielded a really good army surprisingly enough.

Even though I wasn't able to keep them updated, they still make for great scouts later on. They're great for grabbing those goodie huts that are unclaimed on distant island and you can clear out some Barb camps as well before they get the heavier units. Their movement is great.

nzcamel likes this.
  3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

How do monks compare cost-wise against other units you can buy with faith with a Theocracy?

I started a game as Gandhi, intending to spam Varu, monks, and crossbows and go in a rampage. But Warrior Monks was not available when I founded my religion (and I was first to pick); I guess I didn't have the fall patch yet because Steam was in offline mode. (I went online and started over but haven't gotten that far.)

They can be combined into corps and armies, right?

4. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    Warrior Monks are freakin great if you play Guitarja! Since she gets religion from every coastal city, it adds up quickly, especially if you choose the Earth Goddess pantheon, then you can instantly buy a whole army of monks whenever you want. I completely pwned Rome in an MP game the other day with them... he rage quit so hard when I went from zero military to twice his size in just a few turns :p

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Newborn warrior monks quickly become too weak to reasonably get experience. You need hard run for coprs and armies to make them survive some battles.
    One of the good use for them is soaking fire from cities and camps. Even newborn monks could survive at least one shot, protecting stronger units (as AI usually targets weaker ones) and gaining experience in process.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  6. Bro

Bro Chieftain

You want to get them with the Crusade belief and have at least one of them spreading religion from combat victories.

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

Bumping this back to the top to get some more input on this: What experience does people have with Warrior Monks - good or bad?

I tried them for the first time in my current game. While I find they are reasonably cheap (200 faith flat cost), I find that they fall behind in combat strength almost before you get them going - perhaps because I used the MOAR mod that adds a Longswordsman with 45 combat strength (CS) at Castles, which is not too long after you'll be getting these monks (35 CS) realistically. And Knights make things even worse - particularly when you're up against the Mamluk, as is the case in my current game. The promotion tree seems interesting, but I have a hard time leveling them up when they are already running behind in CS.

8. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I've used them several times, and they are useful but not all *that* useful because they die too quickly in battle to level-up. The best thing about them is their quick movement (use them like weak knights.) I agree with letting them take one hit from a city while everyone else sets up; the extra movement lets them escape afterwards to heal. If you do get one with a couple of promotions, keep him alive until you can form a corps.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  9. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Chieftain

I tried once, I think with Khmer, and pushed for a very quick religion with Stonehenge. I had warrior monks before anyone else had made it out of classical, and at that point, they were pretty devastating on the attack. I went through four Russian cities like butter, supporting two of them with three archers. The monks upgraded nicely - I think I had three promotions on one of them. However, I didn't finish the game, and left off in the early medieval period, so didn't see how they fared later on.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

You lost me at this point. :D But seriously, I agree they are good early, I got them in late classical and used one to wipe out Egypt before they got their chariots which was useful, they just seem to fall out of use quite quickly.

11. earlc

earlc Chieftain

I tried them with all the experience-boosts I could get only to find that they don't seem to work for warrior monks, so my plan of getting upgraded religion-spreading monks didn't happen.

The best I was able to manage with the surviving monks was to slightly outpace the other civs' units, but really that came at the expense of getting my other units experience. When I could get corps/armies it was easy to make more to combine them, though at that point they were just a match for the other civs' single units.

As militaristic as you can possibly be, and even if you're super-efficient with getting theology and have crusade, I can only imagine getting a couple of monks to the point that they're spreading religion and still useful. Doesn't seem to be that worthwhile of an investment except maybe as a change of pace, or as a surprise against a human opponent.

12. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

That's worth noting and sounds like a bug?

13. Lupine

Lupine Chieftain

I had Kabul as my CS ally and with double xp from fights they start they level up quite nicely.

14. Deggial

Deggial Chieftain

"Spear of Fiona(?)" doesn't work either with Warrior Monks, unfortunately. Bug or intentional?

15. MrZonker

MrZonker Chieftain

Been playing with the Warrior Monks lately, quick to marathon. I love the guys and would love to see some promote (even above 2). Not sure if any buildings help them promote but am assuming not as my capital has... all the freaking buildings. OP? I'd agree if they ever reached their full potential but as it is they're just fun to play with dreaming of the high end promotions you'll never see.

16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Do these things upgrade to anything? I have yet to use them.

17. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

no they don't... so only useful until industrial age or so about ;-(

18. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

I tried them once. Meh.
    Better save that faith for classic golden age expansions with faith settlers and builders

Zike likes this.
  19. MrZonker

MrZonker Chieftain

Dunno... still can stand up to AT units if they're in an army... but God... promoting is a *****. Yet to get one to three.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Has anyone tried them with the Zulu? I think there might be a synergy there.