1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Warrior Monks

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bro, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Bro

Bro Chieftain

I've implemented these to my deity Qin gameplay. They fit the religious play style pretty well. Last game I took the God of War pantheon and was able to gather loads of faith untill I had my first temple up. Religion is in no way as hard to get as before, but if you want to go for it you will still sacrifice your early conquest delaying it by 20-30 turns, and this is where these babies come in. I usually choose the Crusade belief to make up for the lead in technology the AI has, usually this means Swordmen and Crossbowmen coming in shortly, Horsemen if there are resources for it.

Now the Warrior Monk is as good as a Swordman in the beginning and with Oligarchy they are as good as a Horseman. Once they have 2 promotions they become a wrecking ball. The +10 attack bonus in all situations means they can siege cities down in a couple of turns! I need to test these with Kabul city state, I'd imagine they will cause quite a havoc then.

Anyone else had a go with them?

2. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

I wouldn't say they're as good as swordsmen, I'd say they're better. Sure they have 1 less combat strength, but they have 3 movement points.
    If you think the +10 combat strength in all situations is great, just wait until they get the level 3 double attack and level 4 +15 combat strength in all situations.

3. Bro

Bro Chieftain

Well, Swordmen benefit from Great Generals but Warrior monks do not, however their first promotion is 2x flanking bonus which sets them on par with Swordmen with a Great General supporting them. Once they get the +10 combat strength promotion they mob the floor with Swordmen, Horsemen and even Knights. They have more strength than a Knight when you have Oligarchy. And once they get Cobra Strike they are better than Musketmen and Cavalry(with Oligarchy).

4. Setis

Setis Chieftain

You can actually keep them relevant for a LONG time by upgrading them to warrior monk armies pretty cheaply too since you buy them with Faith.

5. civtrader6

civtrader6 Chieftain

Hmm, your post got me curious. I've never considered warrior monks as they require a temple.
    What civic progression do you take and at what point (turn wise etc) can you get warrior monks?

6. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

They require a temple because they are one of the new follower choices when founding a religion.

7. Bro

Bro Chieftain

I've been going for Craftsmanship and State Workforce first to get Corvée for the +15% wonder production. After that I'm going for Mysticism and rush the Oracle(Playing China here). Usually I build about 2-3 Builders which I first use to get a boost to Craftmanship and then I chop forests and build a smallish 2 warrior 3 slinger army with the +50% production card. The overflow goes towards building 2 Holy Sites and Shrines(So you need to build a settler as well for the second city). Once I have all these and the Oracle I beeline to Theology and only afterwards go for Political Philosophy.

Earth Goddess is the best Pantheon for this, but Goddess of the Harvest will also do(You will be chopping a lot) and I've also had some great success with God of War. I'll get my first Temple up around turn 50-60.

Oh and this is deity.