1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Warrior/slinger maintance 1, stops ai spamming

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by Littlebob86, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Ramez Hachicho

Ramez Hachicho Chieftain

EDIT

Makes a big post about unique units somehow not costing maintenance ..

misspells Sumerian ..

/facepalm

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

I think reworking maintenance so that all units cost the same depending on era might be best - simple yet effective. So all units cost 1gpt in ancient, 2gpt in classical, etc.

If the discount policy is imbalanced, perhaps move it back in the tech tree..

3. Ramez Hachicho

Ramez Hachicho Chieftain

The trouble with ancient units costing 1 is that it's made redundant by conscription. As soon as the ai researches conscription it slots it and the problem happens. However in the last game I played I set all ancient units to 2gpt that way even if the computer slotted the policy it would still have to pay some maintenance. The result .. the computer still builds large armies. But it no longer consumes the map. Some more testing will be necessary to see if the ai now adopts later units properly. I'm still seeing large swarms of warriors. But at least now it isn't game breaking on slower speeds. I had to total nerf agoge and set maintenance to 2 to do it tho.

I am no modder I nerfed Agoge by tweaking the xml in the civ6 "improvements" mod. (This is also how I slowed the tech down.) And I took the mod structure that I was given and just repeated it to set all classical era units maintenance to 2. The god of the forge pantheon fix I used as is.

This combo DOES stop the warrior spam but there are still some balance issues in ancient era. And he's called Montezuma. In Marathon games that guy's eagle warriors are really really stompy. I was playing as gilgamesh on a tiny map. And I watched him glomp the other two ai's before the ancient era was even done XD. Now we basically own half the world each. And for some reason he is my best bud. Probably because I went for science and now I have musketeers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  4. Ramez Hachicho

Ramez Hachicho Chieftain

Edit : Currently playing a small marathon game .. I'm at the medieval area and the AI is mostly using contemporary units. And reasonable amounts of them. Armies are decently large but not spam size. Only one who hasn't upgraded is germany because for some reason he decided he HAD to have preslav declared war on it then couldn't take it because it was in this little mountain pocket and preslav could just keep staving him off. So I think the poor guy is buried in war weariness.

Littlebob86 likes this.
  5. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Any updates on this?

I'm curious... if you raise the maintenance to 1.5, what will the ai build if it can't afford more units, can't build settlers (due to city size), and can't build buildings/districts? Spam builders or something?

They should add in city projects that don't require a district:

+4 gold/turn
    +1 culture/+1 faith
    +1 culture/+1 science
    +.5 envoy points

On ynaemp, giant tsl, forget about exploring greater Europe unless you started there. Its just one massive carpet of units.

Guess I will test increasing maintenance cost myself. Probably 1.5 to ALL 0 cost units.

edit: Ideally, you could make 5 units for free, then start the cost. Anyone know if the palace can be edited to add another +5 gold/turn or something like that?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. agonistes

Okay, I think got this:

1) I raised the maintenance on ALL units. Warriors, scouts, and slingers are 1gpt. Other units have been scaled up.
    2) two parts:
    a) I made God-King +2 gold, +1 faith. Those 2 extra units are huge early on (I play marathon x7), so not only does the gold help, it makes it a tougher choice vs. Urban Planning.
    b) I made Conscription +4 gold, +1 production in the capital.
    Combined, that's 6 more ancient units.
    3) I use the mod that nerfs commercial city-state bonuses to +2, instead of +4.
    4) Levee en Masse is now -1 gpu, instead of -2. (this may need to be reverted to -2, further testing needing)

- a couple of optional mods I use that synergize with this: buffed coastal tiles, makes them base +2/+1, and giving walls to city-states at the beginning of the game.

There is no longer any unit spam, but the true civs can build enough units to take cities - and they do. By keeping Conscription limited to a gold bonus in the capital, smaller civs can still keep up somewhat in military strength. The true power changers are luxury resources that give 3 gold, or settling a city on the coast just for the gold yield from coastal tiles. I've found the early game is a struggle to find settling spots with a decent gold yield, while maintaining a decent army. In short, gold is once again a precious commodity, and the game is both much more fun (for me) and there are no longer carpets of warriors everywhere.

Note that if you want more base gold (= more units for city-states), just increase the gold yield from the palace.

edit: I cannot stress enough how important gold has become. Trading for even 3gpt can be massively significant, and players may want to settle on a low production coastal spot rather than head for a high production 0 gold spot.

The downside is that I am struggling to buy up all of the early great leaders now.

edit: going to scale back the late game units a bit. I was basing my estimates on a Russia game, and that's probably not fair to the ai.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  7. agonistes

Just a note: You can edit stuff on the fly without using firetuner if you edit the master data files.

This includes months per turn.

8. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain

1) Warrior maintenance 2 gpt;
    +2) Unit disbanded at -1 balance
    makes the difference. No warrior spam.
    Already implemented in More Strategy Mod.

9. agonistes

I think 2 gpt is too much for warriors. I did consider it though. Maybe at standard speed its okay, but at marathon or slower, it takes time to build up your income. 1 gpt is perfect, as long as you edit Conscription as well.

Now I'm working on the science pacing. I think I need to remove/reduce science from population. Put it in line with culture.

10. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain

Science already removed from population, culture only 10%. Please check MoreStrategyMod info.