1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wars Take Too Long!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krasny, Oct 18, 2010.

?

Should Wars Be Shorter?

1. Yes, wars do take a bit too long.

26 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. No, wars are fine as they are.

71 vote(s)
    73.2%
  1. krasny

krasny Prince

AI civilisations don't know when to sue for peace, or agree to a reasonable offer, as a result wars frequently take too long to be fun.

In my last two games I have had two three hour wars, with all but one of the AI civilisations fighting me hopelessly outdated. Yet they still persisted in their wars, even when I was killing their spearmen with my infantry. To be fair to the AI they did declare on me just after the Aztecs did.

The remaining AI was a little behind me in technology but outnumbered me several times over, but attacked in small numbers, allowing my cannons to weaken him and counter attacks with cavalry to mop him up. Rinse and repeat, many many times. Even when he had nothing to attack with he was still refusing reasonable peace offers.

Now combat in Civ5 is FUN. But wars that last hours are very tedious. And something should be done to shorten the wars.

For example,

1. Make the AI able to recognise when a war is not going well, and offer / agree to a peace treaty.

2. Make the combat AI more effective by taking the precautions a human player would take, such as guarding bombard units with melee units, not leading with bombard units, and attacking with sufficient force to get the job done.

3. Bring back war weariness. Simple to implement, and naturally limits wars to a reasonable time.

2. sleepingbear

sleepingbear Warlord

In my current game Bismark and Alex are down to one city each and still will not accept peace offers. Sometimes it is just easier to wipe them out, then worry about 'giving peace a chance". I just hooked up my horses so it will not be much longer =)

3. Jharii

Jharii King

The length of wars is not the issue. The AI is. Once this is fixed, many (if not most) of the game mechanics will also seem to be fixed.

4. DavidPBacon

DavidPBacon Chieftain

Yes they take too long, from 4000 BC to 2050 AD.

5. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

Allied with city state.
    2 AIs war with each other at the border of newly allied city-state.
    Have to watch THEIR war before beginning your turn.

No way to turn that off huh?

6. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

I just beeline for their capital as fast as possible. Smartens them up real quick. :)

7. arcolithe

arcolithe Chieftain

try quick combat

8. wapamingo

wapamingo Prince

The problem with war is that, at least I feel this way, no penalty for going to war. There is no war weariness, there are no close economic ties or mutual economic dependence, there is really nothing.

Of course, one could argue that Research Agreements are one such dependency and it is a strong one but not married to it, and one could argue trading resources is another but humans tend to exploit that to milk AI.

So I have no desire to end a war if it starts, it can last forever for all I care.

9. Tarsa

Tarsa Chieftain

I haven't played the higher difficulty levels yet, but I find that the AI is always begging for peace on Prince. Sometimes they even straight up offer peace AND gold AND resources right off the bat, to get me to stop swallowing their cities.

I think the length is OK - as a relatively casual player, I find there isn't much to do in peacetime except build improvements and buildings, which isn't nearly as satisfying, so wars are always nice to have going on (as long as you've got a prayer).

10. Justicex

Justicex Prince

The AI seems to sue for peace quickly and repeatedly when they are getting beaten badly. I'm only playing on difficlties 1 and 2 so far (working my way up :D) but they sue for peace a lot after I take a city or two.

11. wurstburst

wurstburst Prince

I don't like war weariness. If a superior military attacks you, your civ shouldn't be penalized any further for the length of war through more unhappiness.

I do think it would be nice to have the AI take into account it's losses vs. it's kills in determining when to end a war. That way you can get a peace treaty done even if you haven't attained military superiority, just by fighting a good fight.

Also, the AI should be better at making/asking for small concessions to end a war. Sometimes I'd even give up 1 city to end a bad war. No way am I giving up more than that. On the flip side, I don't need half a civ to make peace. Just give me a city, or a some luxuries, or some gold or GPT and I might stop.

12. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

There's a Quick Combat option, and you can also just switch to the Strategic Map or whatever it's called, the simple, board game-esque map, for end-of-turns if something is going on that you dont want to have to watch.

13. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Wars actually don't take long enough. It is too easy to take cities.

14. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I like the mechanics of how wars are fought (but not the ease of them or the cheese of the capitals). Better than a SoD steamrolling through the land straight at a target.

15. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Yeah. Sometimes I find myself being at war with 3-4 AI's at the same time on Deity... And though it may be annoying, it still feels like a bunch of barbarians. They sometimes manage to destroy a tile improvement, but that's about it.

The problem is though, that I have to play several hours just to complete that Coliseum I'm trying to build, because I have to move around 20 military units every turn.

16. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I know what you mean but I am ok with that. I remember back in the old days playing true wargames and taking hours to make one move.

17. Lanstro

Lanstro Prince

I vote for: Combat is too quick, willingness of AI to agree to peace is fine.

18. Bandit17

Bandit17 Warlord

It would be cool to add war weariness in relation to losses over a given time. This would mimic reality...omg...sorry about bringing any realism to this game. My bad. Won't happen again...

As a previous poster said. Fixing the ai and diplomacy should make this thread mute.