[NFP] Was Frontier Pack a success for you?

Rate your Frontier Pass experience

• Outstanding - I very enthusiastically would love more content like this in the future

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • Above average - I'm overall happy with my experience, most likely would purchase future content

Votes: 110 46.2%
  • Neutral - I could take it or leave it

Votes: 32 13.4%
  • Below Average - It wasn't all bad, but not enough good to justify this type of content

Votes: 54 22.7%
  • Horrible - absolutely would not purchase this type of content in the future

Votes: 12 5.0%

• Total voters
I voted "neutral" but I would actually rate it a bit above neutral. Not quite "above average".

I had to use Uber for a ride yesterday. $30 total. So I would say for $40 this was a decent value in that for me it gave Civ VI a bit of a shot in the arm for most of a year. There are definitely balance issues with a lot of the content, but I think overall it met my standard of providing entertainment for many hours at a relatively reasonable cost, and there is still more content and updating promised, so I give NFP a reserved thumbs up. If the "issues" are fixed fairly quickly that would change to a more enthusiastic two thumbs up, heh. Improvements and refinements are always very welcome.

Looking forward to trying Humankind. Hopefully there will be a Civ VII announcement at some time in the coming year.

Cheers!

I put 'Above average', for interesting new civs, city states, great people, wonders and districts.

But the modes, oh my goodness, the modes... Leaving aside the design and ideas, what a failure of implementation in the form of a new swarm of bugs and the AI being mostly clueless of how to play with them enabled. Bugs and clueless AI took all the wind out of the sails of my former enthusiasm for the modes and now I usually play with all of them 'off' until that hopeful day when FXS get their stuff together and fix them.

I realized when reading one of the balance threads that the 100% Eureka ability should have been a mode which gave it to all the civs.
That would have changed the unique Babylon playstyle into something a bit meh in my opinion, I love Civs that force you to take a different approach.

Below average. Too many gimmicky modes that stop being interesting after 2 playthroughs, and not enough deep changes/additions. There needs to be something like an economic victory, or a global market system.

The civs themself were ok, although civs like GC and byzantium are stupidly overpowered/uninteresting to play

Also pretty annoyed that the "make this deal more equally" still isnt fixed

That would have changed the unique Babylon playstyle into something a bit meh in my opinion, I love Civs that force you to take a different approach.
And that's the big draw of NFP for me, and it's main redeeming grace - unique play style civs.

When you're getting to ~50 civs, having a cheap district and +5 bonus to your CS just really doesn't cut it when you're designing a new civ. Many of the base game and even XP civs are boring for that reason. A good civ forces you to change and play differently. Maybe Babylon is OP, but it's really good at not being a bland and is actually very distinguishable from the other civs.

Well, that is the risk of buying any season pass. You have no guarantee its going to deliver what was promised- all you have is your trust in the seller. And, for good reason I'd say, Firaxis had a relatively spotless reputation with Civ VI content up until now.

Not trying to suggest they used the general playerbase's trust in the developer to trick them into buying something they may not have actually wanted, but I have to assume they knew that a lot of people were going to buy it no matter what, and didn't feel as pressured to make stellar content or satisfy the wants of the players.

But, the final choice is still in the hands of the consumer...

That logic can only be carried so far. If I advertise a sports car and deliver a bicycle, "The final choice is still in the hands of the consumer" isn't a valid defense.To make sure any transaction goes well is a shared responsibility between the consumer and the seller. Of course, there is some risk when purchasing anything, but honest parties will take measures to mitigate that risk. After all, the ideal business transaction for everyone is one where all parties are happy afterward, buyer and seller. Usually the best way to make anything in life go smoother, but especially business transactions, is good communication. What is included in the purchase is especially important. To use my earlier illustration, Firaxis held up a hamburger shaped box, with hamburger pictures on the side, while standing in a hamburger shop, but when I bought and opened my meal, there's a waffle inside. They didn't flat out lie to my face, but it was the next best thing.

I'm not saying they're evil people or overstepped any legal lines, but I am saying that it smacks of dishonesty and is a shady business move, intentionally or accidentally, and has lost my good will going forward. Until NFP any content for Civ VI was an instant buy for me, but going forward nothing from Firaxis will be.

I voted above average but very enthusiastically would love more content like this in the future :p
100%. Not everything was successful but I would appreciate more content, especially if it is less ambitious/more polished, and always more asymmetrical civ designs.

To use my earlier illustration, Firaxis held up a hamburger shaped box, with hamburger pictures on the side, while standing in a hamburger shop, but when I bought and opened my meal, there's a waffle inside. They didn't flat out lie to my face, but it was the next best thing.
I honestly don't understand your viewpoint at all, as Firaxis was pretty dang clear as to what type of content we were going to be getting from the get-go. A mixture of historical and fantastical game modes, none of which were fleshed out enough to warrant inclusion in the base game...plus all the civs, city-states, etc. They even had a roadmap from day 1 showing what categories of things would be in each DLC.

100%. Not everything was successful but I would appreciate more content, especially if it is less ambitious/more polished, and always more asymmetrical civ designs.
I'm hoping they expand and incorporate some of the more intriguing (Read: barbarians and corporations) into the main game so they mesh with other mechanics better, I think that would go a long way to get rid of the unpolished/patchwork feel of it all.

but I am saying that it smacks of dishonesty and is a shady business move, intentionally or accidentally, and has lost my good will going forward. Until NFP any content for Civ VI was an instant buy for me, but going forward nothing from Firaxis will be

Oh, undoubtedly. I wasn't even trying to use that as a defense- moreso saying it disappointedly, as its the excuse dishonest businesses would use. Sure, it's in the hands of the consumer, but when the consumer doesn't really know what they're actually paying for... can that really be considered a fair deal?

I find it a bit disappointing that the NFP ended up being the waffle-in-a-hamburger-box that it is... and, I'm really not mad about the contents, at least, not entirely. I don't mind the fantasy content (though I can't entirely say I'll be using it) and the new civs at least seem interesting... if a bit gimmicky in certain cases. The only problem I have with it is that seeing the amount of people who aren't satisfied with what they got, they really should have been upfront with what was being sold. The roadmap (and certain leaks) they've shown us all throughout shows they knew what they were doing ahead of time, and are only dripfeeding us information for the sake of suspense. And if they had all the information all this time, why not give the customers a warning? They don't have to be spoiling every little detail (since I know there's some appeal to hyping up new reveals), but could they at least say things in vague terms? You don't have to say "Portugal," you could just say "maritime trade Civ" instead. You're keeping the reveal a surprise but still letting people know what's coming. Some more honesty and clarity than "1 New Civ" would be great appreciated.

But I suppose in this case, maybe being truthful would just end up being painfully honest. After all, "reused animations" and "rushed art" aren't exactly selling points that convince people to buy your product, true as they may be :p

In terms of gameplay, I have not been very impressed by the New Frontier Pass. The main thing I like about the New Frontier Pass is the experimentation for features that will hopefully come to future games, such as the Corporations game mode and Barbarian Clans game mode.

The only problem I have with it is that seeing the amount of people who aren't satisfied with what they got, they really should have been upfront with what was being sold.
This is the CivFanatics site, which is what ~1% of the active playing population - even if every single one of us is unhappy with NFP (and we're not) then that is still just a tiny portion of the Firaxis customer base.

This is the CivFanatics site, which is what ~1% of the active playing population - even if every single one of us is unhappy with NFP (and we're not) then that is still just a tiny portion of the Firaxis customer base.
That may be true, but not necessarilly. There are for sure many Players who aren't happy with NFP and aren't part of this CivFanatics Community. I was one of them before I've joined this great Forum last October. So there may be a much bigger amount of Players that don't like NFP than 1~10% of the active Playing population.

If it was a game mode, I would prefer it to also have the 100% Inspiration boosts for civics too as to not fully make Babylon's ability obsolete for that particular game mode, if that were to happen.
The other game mode isn't just tech shuffle after all. :)

I find it a bit disappointing that the NFP ended up being the waffle-in-a-hamburger-box that it is... and, I'm really not mad about the contents, at least, not entirely. I don't mind the fantasy content (though I can't entirely say I'll be using it) and the new civs at least seem interesting... if a bit gimmicky in certain cases. The only problem I have with it is that seeing the amount of people who aren't satisfied with what they got, they really should have been upfront with what was being sold. The roadmap (and certain leaks) they've shown us all throughout shows they knew what they were doing ahead of time, and are only dripfeeding us information for the sake of suspense. And if they had all the information all this time, why not give the customers a warning? They don't have to be spoiling every little detail (since I know there's some appeal to hyping up new reveals), but could they at least say things in vague terms? You don't have to say "Portugal," you could just say "maritime trade Civ" instead. You're keeping the reveal a surprise but still letting people know what's coming. Some more honesty and clarity than "1 New Civ" would be great appreciated.
I think there are two different issues. One is the fact that people feel like they were cheated because they brought in fantasy gimmicks that they'll never use because it's not what they consider should go in a civ game. That's understandable.

That being said buying content without knowing what you'd get was there for the beginning. If you bought the Deluxe Edition you got the base game plus all the DLC before the R&F expansion pass, without knowing the DLC content would include civs like Australia and Macedon anyway. So in that regard paying upfront for surprises in NFP isn't necessary new, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Even though most of the 'sparkly toppings' NFP brought to CIV6 come across as rushed or lackluster I'm still positive about the Season Pass as a whole.

I'm really happy with the newly added Civs and in all honesty would even have paid if NFP would just be the new leaders (don't get me wrong, I totally get that some people aren't so willing/able to spend cash on DLC as freely).

My main argument for being positive about NFP is the accompanying 'buzz' it brought to the community as a whole. New content to watch & read online, interesting discussions on this forum & in some cases 'rants' or nitpicking that really made me laugh and eye-roll at the same time. ("they used the same animations, get ya pitchforks everyone!")

Therefore I hope this won't be the end of CIV6-content. I like it when there's something new to look forward to for this game. However, If NFP is the final content for Civ6 I really expect a good last update/patch so at least some of the bugs get fixed.

Top Bottom