Was george washington a terrorist?

Will greame be banned if he Trolls the USA again?

• Yes

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme the mad

Certified Maniac
In fact this goes for all of those people who set up the US - surely they are all terrorists - they started their campaign of terror because some taxes were raised and then they formed their own private arm :eek: - im sure thats a very terrorist thing to do.

The new definition of terrorism we have would seem to fit them but what do you think?

Moderator Action: First warning: Attempt this again Grame, and your gone.

NO TROLLING.

AoA

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

"In fact this goes for all of those people who set up the US - surely they are all terrorists - they started their campaign of terror because some taxes were raised and then they formed their own private arm - im sure thats a very terrorist thing to do.

"The new definition of terrorism we have would seem to fit them but what do you think?"

If terrorism has come to include paramilitary/guerillas who attack military targets rather than civilian ones, then I guess the definition fits, for what it's come to be worth then....

But then I guess the community of nations has just put a ban on independence rebellions or rebellions against tyrants. I mean, if a people want to become independent, and are not allowed to so must fight, by DEFINITION what they'd form is essentially a private army, unless of course they can persuade enough of the REGULAR army to desert and join their cause (in which case they'd no longer be regular either!).

But if they primarily, habitually, and as a matter of tactical objective attack civilians, then they really ARE terrorists, no matter what the cause.

exactly my point allen - anyone who fights is now called a terrorist

Edited for Flaming - Voluntary
Where ........ are you getting your definition of Terrorism, a pack of bubble gum?
Edited for Flaming - Voluntary

Wahooo - controversey, people have started shouting already

I was just waiting for the first person to insult me (is this thread banned so I can talk about it being banned in other places)

And palehorse did you vote for the equopean xenophobia one?

No it isn't (yet) and no I haven't.

Reduce your signature length from 6 to 5.

Definition from www.dictionary.com

Terrorism:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

They must have gotten it from a bubble gum wrapper. ;)

Well Mr horsey that definitons brilliant - it fits what I am saying , that the Us founders were terrorists- are you arguing for me or against me?

:confused:

Against. And there should be a restriction on sending PM if your box is full. Empty your box out Graeme the mad! :D

I think that deffinition is bad since it covers all types of wars in that.

i don´t like the dictionary.com definition of terrorism. the nato bombings of yugoslavia would terrorism by that definition.

Every war in history would be. I thought they had a different deffinition b/c I remember using it in a thread one time and it sure as heck didn't say that.

I think George Washington was a terrorist because in fact he broke laws, resorted to violence against the government over extra taxes:rolleyes:

Now just imagine if somebody today starts an anti-State Militia coz the taxes are too high, wont he definitely be called a terrorist.:scan:

LEt us get one thing clear, to the people whom the terrorist represents or claims to be representing, he is a martyr. However, if everyone wrote their version of history, we would have had incessant global warfare for the slightest things:rolleyes:

IN the eyes of neutral observers as ourselves, they were terrorists and there can be no doubt about it. :p

IN the same context, to the rest of the world Nelson Mandela was a terrorist who used violence as a means to his end and so he will be a terrorist, but to millions if Africans he will be Hero:king:

Nice little attempt at a troll. 0.25 out of 100 though. Been done before, frequently.
No, Washington was not a terrorist. And even if he did fit into someone's definition of terrorism, so what?
He was most probably a traitor at the time, but his cause was right, and did not involve the deliberate murder of non-combatants. He was fighting for freedom, rather than megalomaniac dreams of a world caliphate.
Mandela was a terrorist, for a somewhat morally justifiable cause, but a couple of decades in the slammer made him into a saint. If he had been hanged in the early 60s, he would be little more than a minor footnote of history.

And I couldn't resist voting for that last option. It is so beautiful!:D

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
Nice little attempt at a troll. 0.25 out of 100 though. Been done before, frequently.

Quick question what the heck is a troll???:confused:
Am I doing something illegal without knowing about it???:confused:
Originally posted by Simon Darkshade

No, Washington was not a terrorist. And even if he did fit into someone's definition of terrorism, so what?
He was most probably a traitor at the time, but his cause was right, and did not involve the deliberate murder of non-combatants. He was fighting for freedom, rather than megalomaniac dreams of a world caliphate.
Mandela was a terrorist, for a somewhat morally justifiable cause, but a couple of decades in the slammer made him into a saint. If he had been hanged in the early 60s, he would be little more than a minor footnote of history.

And I couldn't resist voting for that last option. It is so beautiful!:D
Aaaaah our very own Bin Laden, where if the cause is right, you can screw around any govt. So Timothy McVeigh ought to be national hero right:rolleyes:

Quite a provocative poll I have to say :D But all we're gonna learn from this debate is that history is written by the victors.

In the 1770's, a bunch of slave labour using rednecks declared themselves independent and started a war against a government they found oppressive. The rednecks won, and are currently reverred as national heroes and the founders of modern democracy :rolleyes:

In the 1860's, a bunch of slave labour using rednecks declared themselves independent and started a war against a government they found oppressive. The rednecks lost, and went into the annals of history as villainous, racist rebels.

Now, in the first decade of the 21st century, a bunch of (possibly slave labour using) islamic rednecks started a war against a government they found oppressive.

Tune in again in 100 years and find out the truth whether they were heores or villains. ;)

This reminds me, did anyone here happen to hear what definition on terrorism the EU agreed on the other day? I am asking because I know they were about to declare a definition but I missed out on what it was. All I know is they have been talking about inlcuding something like " a terrorist is someone who engages in political activities and demontrations with the purpose of changing the society". Such a definition would be truly absurd, making just about anyone involved in poltics (even themselves) terrorists. So again, does anyone happen to know what they eventually agreed on?

Originally posted by allhailIndia

Quick question what the heck is a troll???:confused:
Am I doing something illegal without knowing about it???:confused:

Aaaaah our very own Bin Laden, where if the cause is right, you can screw around any govt. So Timothy McVeigh ought to be national hero right:rolleyes:

Argh! Wrote a nice reply, and then lost it! Damn browser!

1.) Not directed at you, but the person who started the thread. I just suspect, based upon past knowledge, that the intentions behind the qvestion were not purely scholarly.;)

2.) No, I did not say that. Ye can argue the past till the cows come home.

Hey Simon - im not a troll exactly, i didnt vote for the yes option and I know its been done before - What i am trying to highlight and I think successfully is the stupid way the word terrorist is used after SEp11th

PALEHORSE76 :lol: :lol: You really shouldnt have bothered posting that definition and when you said this:

I thought they had a different deffinition b/c I remember using it in a thread one time and it sure as heck didn't say that.

well - there we have it, *cough* us interference in the media *cough*

Seriously does no one find that the definition of a terrorist has been changed at all scary??

And for all of you who voted for that last option :goodjob:

Originally posted by Panda
Quite a provocative poll I have to say :D But all we're gonna learn from this debate is that history is written by the victors.

In the 1770's, a bunch of slave labour using rednecks declared themselves independent and started a war against a government they found oppressive. The rednecks won, and are currently reverred as national heroes and the founders of modern democracy :rolleyes:

This thread, and most of the arguments in it are a pathetic sign of just how weak historical debate has become in the West today.

To begin, the "bunch of slave-labour using rednecks" were not, on balance, that at all, and anyone who says so had better be trying to be provocative, because the alternative is.... [unspeakable due to forum rules] While there certainly were some slave-labour using rednecks who supported the revolution, the bulk of the revolutionaries were tradesmen, farmers and merchants who were for the most part loyal to their part in a British Empire at the beginning.

And the 13 colonies were quite liberal by contemporary standards. It was more literate than any society on the planet had been until that time, hence the ease with which pamphleteers and newspaper editors were able to spread the revolutionary ideal.

But more to the point, as to why Washington was doing what he did, I should quote at length a certain document which was written before anyone was a victor to make it clear just who did what to whom:

------------------------------------------------

"Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends."

-------------------------------------------------

Funny, taxes don't figure much in there, do they?

Don't let poisonous anti-americanism divert you all from a simple fact: the "American" definition of terrorism that the thread posters rail against does differentiate between rebels and terrorists. Take note of the fact that the US had no trouble working with the rebels in Afghanistan, some of whom were miserable people, but certainly not the majority. That's because the American government understood the difference between fighting an ugly but necessary fight on the ground and walking into a resort full of civilians - many of whom might even be supporters of your cause - and detonating a bomb strapped to your waist.

It's time the rest of you did the same.

R.III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom