1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Was i Doomed from the start?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Scarwood, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Scarwood

Scarwood Chieftain

I was not able to take down Alexander, and he was not able to get past my chocke point, but now he ran away from me in tech and i don't think i can win anymore.

So what would you have done? which city would you focus on first?

Attached Files:

2. TPorter

TPorter Chieftain

Alexander does not appear to have soldiers near you. If I were you I would make a pre-emptive strike. Perhaps bribe a fellow civilization to join you too. However I would raze instead of puppeting/annexing.

If you beleive Alexander may fight back and fight back well then you should make sure Alexander can not gain what you took origininally. You always have a chokepoint to make your last stand and so no worries.

3. Scarwood

Scarwood Chieftain

He got plenty of units, but anything geting close to the citadel is dead. The reason for the Chockepoint: he killed my army in 2 turns and i fell back with a Spearman, Catapult and a GG

4. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

You could trying winning with culture.

5. jck169

jck169 Chieftain

Declare war and let him throw his army at your citadel. The AI will continue to attack until it exhausts its army. Then you can go on the offensive. Knowing his tech level and difficulty would help, but even on Immortal, Alex spams units but doesn't upgrade. He often runs around with hoplites and CCs even during the Industrial era. Just make sure you got some back door protection or extra siege to hit embarked units. He'll try to go around that choke if he's got enough of a cluster of units.

6. Scarwood

Scarwood Chieftain

Difficulty: Diety

He got Cannons and Musketmans, and yes alot of hoplites

7. Scarwood

Scarwood Chieftain

I will think about it

8. edcrane

edcrane Chieftain

Sparta seems like the weakest city, in terms of terrain. A healthy melee unit with cover could probably do a decent amount of damage for a few turns if positioned on the sheep hex. Obviously you'd need to cover the adjacent hex, though.

9. Darth Varak

Darth Varak Chieftain

Honestly your expansion seems very weak - you only have 6 cities 145 turns into the game. However, because you have so few cities a cultural victory seems as though it is the best, if not only, option. Just make sure to keep some units around in case the choke breaks.

10. aimlessgun

aimlessgun King

Well you're not doomed, but you're not in a great spot either since it's already 700 AD. Diplo victory seems easiest here (well it's always the easiest probably...)

Unless you want to try culture, fill out your peninsula. Also, I'm very surprised you have not explored at all, there have got to be islands out there with good spots to build cities.

If you aggressively expand, set up more cities, hopefully have some maritimes, you should be able to kick your economy up a notch. Spam research agreements, + increased population for more tech and you should be able to stay at least close to Alexander. This is all you need, a citadel chokepoint is an incredibly effective defense. Just make sure to control the seas (easy with current AI).

Anyways the computer is fairly bad at winning, so unless you get unlucky you can probably explore the world and win a diplomatic victory before they even get close to culture or space.