1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Was this the civ of my childhood?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Revent, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Hello all,

As a kid, I used to LOVE playing Civ, the idea of creating my own kingdom and conquering other people was just amazing. Problem is, I can't remember what version of Civ I started with. I only have hints which may point me to the right direction.

-I could upgrade my palace and make it look nicer as time went on.
    -The units looked like stamps rather than actual 3d icons.
    -Triremes could get lost at sea.
    -I last played this game over 15-16+ years ago

Was this Civ I? or perhaps II?

Thank you!

2. Theov

Theov Chieftain

Point 1: Civ1 or Civ3 (Civ2 had a throne room)
    Point 2: Civ1
    Point 3: Civ1 or 2 (3 didn't have triremes)
    Point 4: Civ1, 2 or 3.

My conclusion: Civ1.
    :)

It's fantastic.

3. darkpanda

darkpanda Dark Prince

Possibly CivWin too, which is essentially Civ 1 for Windows

4. Revent

Revent Will SIP

What is the difference between Civ 1 and CivWin?

I did play my game on a Windows machine :)

5. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

As far as i can tell, no difference in the mechanics of the game under hood (bonnet?). The graphics are nicer in CivWIN, since it can use more system RAM, but all of the bugs, exploits, features and cheats that others report here for CivDOS are also present in CivWIN. The layout of the game's information is different, and that's about it.

6. darkpanda

darkpanda Dark Prince

Entirely subjective, as I personally prefer CivDOS (= Civ 1) graphics :)

I think that's inaccurate: as far as I remember, the fast settler cheat disappeared in CivWin... Anyone can confirm ?

7. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

It definitely works here. But do not know if there are later versions of CivWIN where it might have been fixed? Mine calls itself "Version 1.2.0 (c)1993". And, ashamed to admit, i never knew about the "no orders" order until i re-read the manual recently. For years i just used to Sentry then click on the unit and un-Sentry, and it'd be ready to go next turn.

However, it continually annoyed me that this trick never worked when the unit was inside a city, haha! I never realized that the re-awakened unit had a fresh set of movement points, because it was always a unit i didn't want to move, just wanted it to wait a turn where it was. So that "cheat" definitely works in CivWIN too :blush:

8. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

Must correct myself: there is a difference i've noticed while reading here: the colors are different. Each civ has it's own immutable color and civs are "twinned", i.e. two civs share each color and cannot exist simultaneously. But in CivWIN my colors are all different than what is written here about CivDOS. Except for Barbarians, they're still red.

At first i saw a post and thought "he's got the colors wrong," but then noticed that the "wrongness" was consistent; the Greeks + English are both referred to as the same color, the Russians + Romans, et cetera. So the twinning of civs is the same in WIN and DOS, only the colors got shuffled when they ported the game to Windows.

For me in CivWIN:

White = Indians + Mongols
    Yellow = Russians + Romans
    Green = English + Greeks
    Dk Blue = French + Germans
    Pink = Americans + Chinese
    Lt Blue = Aztecs + Egyptians
    Gray = Zulus + Babylonians

9. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Chieftain

Yes, I agree with Darkpanda on the Civ DOS graphics.

10. CivZ

CivZ Chieftain

This is an old thread, but I can shed some light on this. CivWin / WinCiv has the fast settler cheat, while CivNet (which has the same graphics) does not.

11. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

While this zombie's afoot, must correct myself again... CivWIN does not have the SHIFT-56 cheat. But it is capable of producing a 1-Turn Win, which CivDOS can not.