Washington, DC

In the spirit of rugbyLEAGUEfan's 'plan my holiday' thread, I'm going to be in DC first week of July. What should I see? IIRC there are several locals in OT and I would appreciate your input.

I have been there once before, so I've seen a lot of the basic stuff (National Mall, etc.) and am planning on going to a couple museums. What else is there to do that's worth doing?

july 4 is all the fireworks on the mall

the second location for the air and space museum (not in DC) is better than the one at the mall--they have more stuff at the udvar hazy center. Though parking is 15 dollars there, and you can't just access it by metro/walking.

I too would like cfc's advice since I'm working in the nova/md area for the summer and pretty much finished the smithsonians/the mall.

food I don't know but make sure to use scoutmob app if you have a smartphone; a lot of 20-50% off deals; *edit* actually it seems mostly 50% off. But, some most will be like mon-thurs I bet.

It's best to walk around DC. Depending on where you're staying you're probably going have to take the Metro in and out of the district.

If you're planning on staying in the DC at night, Adams Morgan in NW is the place to be. Lots of restaurants, clubs, etc. There's also plenty of food places in Tenleytown and down Wisconsin Avenue from there. There are random museums interspersed the district, some of which may strike your fancy. The National Zoo is pretty tight. Loads of cool architecture also in NW.

Pretty much NW is the best part of town.

It's gonna be hot and humid. Dress appropriately and drink lots of water.

If you're around the Mall/Smithsonian during the day, the restaurant in the National Museum of the American Indian has a pretty funky menu with different regional native cuisines - Great Plains, Great Plains, Mesoamerican, et cetera.

I didn't remember the zoo being free as part of the smithsonian :)

also thought it wasn't on the metro. Man, I'm just wrong about everything.

The Zoo isn't *really* on the Metro. You get off at Woodly park but if I remember correctly, you have to walk about a mile to get there. It's worth it though...free, and one of the better zoos in the US.

I'd have to second Adams Morgan as a nightlife spot. I had my 21st birthday party at Madam's Organ, which is a blues/R&B bar in the area...great music! There are also a few cool restaurants and bars around DuPont Circle. That's where the bar/bookstore is, isn't it?

The other popular nightlife spot is Georgetown, which isn't reeally on the Metro, but you can easily walk there from Foggy Bottom. It has a higher douchebag quotient, but plenty to do.

In the spirit of rugbyLEAGUEfan's 'plan my holiday' thread, I'm going to be in DC first week of July. What should I see? IIRC there are several locals in OT and I would appreciate your input.

I have been there once before, so I've seen a lot of the basic stuff (National Mall, etc.) and am planning on going to a couple museums. What else is there to do that's worth doing?

Catching a beer with me and other DC area CFCers.

Check out a map of DC. Most of the touristy stuff is downtown, adjacent to the Mall. The White House, Capitol, Smithsonian museums, the different Presidential monuments and war memorials. Other things you may wish to see are generally in Metro distance (DC has one of the best subway systems in the country), like Arlington National Cemetery and the Nationals baseball stadium.

Personally, if you're in DC for a week, what I would do is spend a few days with the Smithsonian museums, maybe the National Gallery of Art and National Archives (you can see the Constitution and Declaration of Independence on display!), and checking out the monuments. A day trip down the river to Mount Vernon, which is George Washington's estate, is definitely worth your time as well. Check out the great DC night life in Chinatown, U Street, and Georgetown/Foggy Bottom. Great restaurants, good music, and good food. And if you're interested in sports and the team is in town, go to a Nationals game, it's a gorgeous ballpark and American baseball is an essential part of your "American experience." Football may be replacing that, but it'll be too early for a Redskins game, as the season doesn't start until the end of August.

There are often public events held by the various embassies, which feature food, dance, music, and the culture of that country. We have embassies from every country in the world here, so there's always something going on. Check out beforehand what's happening, if you're curious.

Is it really a good idea to be at DC this year on July the 4rth? With all the gun-debate/issues going on it may have some bad atmosphere (?).

I promise you that this is not an issue. Politics are set aside for the celebration of our nation's birth. Also, political issues like that are really not going to be something that affects the average person's everyday life, least of all will it be something that foreign travelers will notice.

The Zoo isn't *really* on the Metro. You get off at Woodly park but if I remember correctly, you have to walk about a mile to get there. It's worth it though...free, and one of the better zoos in the US.

americans hate to walk, but < 2 miles (3.2 km) and it's good for me!

It's best to walk around DC.

Walking from Woodley Park to the Zoo is pretty cool in my opinion.

Georgetown shouldn't be too bad with most of the students gone.

I would highly recommend the Smithsonian American History Museum. In the basement of the place they have really neat exhibit on electricity generation, gas turbines, diesel engines, and steam engines with working models.

Go see Alexandria. It's an absolutely gorgeous old city. One of my favorites in the country. If you want to check out something cool and gaudy and art-deco (and less-crowded) check out the George Washington Masonic Memorial:

Thanks guys!

It's best to walk around DC. Depending on where you're staying you're probably going have to take the Metro in and out of the district.

That's my general plan. I have a hotel reservation in Crystal City near the subway stop.

It's gonna be hot and humid. Dress appropriately and drink lots of water.

I'm from the South and currently live almost on the Gulf Coast. I think I'll be fine. :)

Nice! I'll consider that.

There are also a few cool restaurants and bars around DuPont Circle. That's where the bar/bookstore is, isn't it?

...That exists? That sounds like my kind of place.

Catching a beer with me and other DC area CFCers.

Done.

Check out a map of DC. Most of the touristy stuff is downtown, adjacent to the Mall. The White House, Capitol, Smithsonian museums, the different Presidential monuments and war memorials. Other things you may wish to see are generally in Metro distance (DC has one of the best subway systems in the country), like Arlington National Cemetery and the Nationals baseball stadium.

Most of that I sampled when I there a couple years ago. The baseball game idea is a good one; I have been to one since I was a kid. I'm not a big fan of the Nats (being a Braves fan myself) but that's definitely an option.

Personally, if you're in DC for a week, what I would do is...

This is all good stuff. I just want to clarify because some of this suggests to me that you might think that I'm not an American. I am, I'm just looking for travel advice.

There are often public events held by the various embassies...

I had not considered that. Thanks!

I would highly recommend the Smithsonian American History Museum. In the basement of the place they have really neat exhibit on electricity generation, gas turbines, diesel engines, and steam engines with working models.

I was thinking about that, but I wasn't sure what the content would be like since 'American History' can mean lots of different things, depending on what you focus on. I do have an engineering background so that sort of thing would be right up my alley. The only Smithsonian Museum that I've been to so far is the Air and Space. I also want to check out some of the cultural institutions as well.

I just want to clarify because some of this suggests to me that you might think that I'm not an American. I am, I'm just looking for travel advice.

:wallbash: Somehow I read your OP in my pre-morning-tea state and thought that RugbyLeagueFan had posted this thread. :blush:

All this was directed at an Aussie traveler in 'Merkuh. All the advice and offers still stand, of course.

Also, I'd recommend checking out the Kennedy Center. It has some interesting architecture, the Hall of Nations is neat, and most evenings during the summer (IIRC from when I was there two years ago) they have free live performances.

:wallbash: Somehow I read your OP in my pre-morning-tea state and thought that RugbyLeagueFan had posted this thread. :blush:

All this was directed at an Aussie traveler in 'Merkuh. All the advice and offers still stand, of course.

:lol: That makes sense. I can easily meet up anywhere near the Metro. I definitely won't be checking CFC while I'm out there though so we'll need to coordinate beforehand. JerichoHill already has my Facebook info if this is the same group.

On top of the touristy things people have named, I would consider the Spy Museum (overpriced but awesome) and Newseum.

For going out, Adams Morgan is good, Georgetown is okay - too many over-privileged on daddy's credit cards bimbos and Jack Hoyas. Personally, my favorite spot is Clarendon in Arlington (closer to you in Crystal City) or Columbia Heights or U Street. Dupont Circle caters to a more gay-friendly crowd (but also fun.)

In terms of things outside DC proper, I would recommend Mount Vernon and/or the much-less crowded Arlington House (Robert E. Lee's home) overlooking the Cemetery. Any nature interest, maybe spend a whole day going out to Shennadoah or closer to Great Falls. Bull Run is not terribly far if you are into Civil War history.

I don't know if you are interested in baseball, but the Nationals are in town that entire week IIRC. Those games are a mighty good time.

Food wise: The only must-go place, for me, is Ben's Chili Bowl. You're not a Washingtonian until you eat Ben's. District Taco also is delicious. (Locations in Arlington, Capitol Hill, and near the White House). Good dining areas in general are in Clarendon (Arlington, VA), Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle.

The fireworks on July 4th are awesome. Get a spot by the river and you'll have an awesome view.

Also, walk on the left of the escalators and stand on the right. And the interns are terrible. You know it's an intern when they have their badge clipped on their very-well pressed jacket after working hours. These people are the scum of the earth. They think they are native DC'ers after 3 weeks and THEY ARE NOT. THEY ARE LOCUSTS.

Sorry, just a little rant I've been feeling after being back here for 3 weeks.

Food wise: The only must-go place, for me, is Ben's Chili Bowl. You're not a Washingtonian until you eat Ben's. District Taco also is delicious. (Locations in Arlington, Capitol Hill, and near the White House). Good dining areas in general are in Clarendon (Arlington, VA), Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle.

Good to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom