1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

watch out Eastern Europe, Germany is poised to strike again!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by scherbchen, Mar 12, 2010.

1. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I don't like it, but our own entry is pitiful as well.

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

That link didn't work for me but I watched it elsewhere. I have to say I'm afraid I don't think much of it: the lyrics are abysmal, her English accent isn't good enough to deliver them convincingly, and she seems generally pretty unsure of herself and awkward. However, these things are generally not considered disadvantages in the Eurovision Song Contest!

4. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

That's EXACTLY what I thought upon watching that video. Which is why I was so surprised to hear that last judge praise her English skills! :eek:

5. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Moderator

her accent really is strange, but it doesn't strike me as typically german :hmm:

anyway, you got the 'advantage' that you're in the final in any case....switzerland certainly won't make it...not with this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8cROQadck

6. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

so maybe east europe really did deserve the prizes because their music was just better, more popular. Since even Germans and Swiss don't like their countries submissions :p Won't find that in east europe.

7. scherbchen

I think Ovi hit it on the head, it's not that her accent is so genuine British merely that it is so un-German. I kinda like it myself.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Singing didn't seem to be her strong suit and teh song itself seemed to waver between what genre it was trying to be part of. She was cute though, knocked knees and all.

9. Grisu

we're just more critical of ourselves :p

in recent years switzerland sent mediocre songs and was beaten soundly by mediocre eastern european songs....so now they decided to switch strategies and send a atrocious song to undermine them :mwaha:

yeah, I absolutely can't place her accent, if I did know nothing about here I'd have no idea where she comes from from her accent.

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The greek song:

Link to video.

Spoiler :
    Well, its not it. But i wish it was, because what Greece is sending will not make it to the final

11. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

lol I heard that was the sentiment, that Eurovision is pointless so lets send in a joke. While the east europeans will continue to consider this contest an issue of national pride. Exept after Dima Bilan's win there wasn't really much more national pride. That 2009 winner, Alexander, was much more popular and his song played constantly on radio waves.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

DIS-GUS-TING. :thumbsdown:

13. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

It was a revelation to me when I learned that people in other countries take Eurovision seriously. The British certainly don't - it is regarded as an immense cheese-fest, to be enjoyed (if at all) in a drunken state, and primarily of interest to those who like show tunes and handbags. It was always narrated by Terry Wogan, in tones of cynical detachment that were clearly fuelled by more and more alcohol as the evening wore on; unfortunately he started taking it too seriously and got annoyed at all the reciprocal voting between the different cliques of countries (Balkans all voting for each other, Scandinavians voting for each other, etc.) and quit. Now it is narrated by Graham Norton, who is good, but it's not the same.

This is why the British never win, because any artist who's any good would never enter Eurovision. Although I seem to remember thinking that the British entry last year was surprisingly decent, but it didn't do very well all the same.

14. scherbchen

nobody around here took it seriously either since a couple of years ago when it was revived in the German media as a bit of a corny joke and it just stuck somehow.

15. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

I liked that song tbh. But I'd rather she sang it in German.

16. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

If the Swedes enter the musical spawn of Satan, ABBA, I might scream.

17. Grisu

nah, I don't think the British would win even if they did send a serious contestant ;)

But you're right about the rest, there really are many people around here who still take it seriously, and get annoyed every year when we don't make it into the finals (as usual).

there's however a growing number of people who view it like the British . For me it started when Germany started to officially take it not seriously (before that I rarely, watched it), and sent Guildo Horn to compete :lol:

18. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

She looks Eastern European, thats main plus.

19. scherbchen

yeah that's a part of the corny joke thing I was referring to :D