Water and Air Pollution Revisited

It would be new addition, as it appears disease never was influenced by handicaps unlike crime and education.
It should've been if we go back far enough - maybe it was just never switched over as it was supposed to be from the super super old original system that it started with.

it might've been changed to what it is now before the new SVN was forced to be opened.

It should've been if we go back far enough - maybe it was just never switched over as it was supposed to be from the super super old original system that it started with.

it might've been changed to what it is now before the new SVN was forced to be opened.
Well then it was probably removed before SVN was created, as earliest handicap infos with property (Crime) is from SVN 3608.
Then education was added in 2014.

Maybe you somehow confused disease from civics with disease from handicaps?

Then it is setup wrong. It should be using the same values as crime.

I disagree with this.

No it's not. You have a Limited set of Diseases. You have a Large set of Crimes. And an even Larger set of Educations.

Then education was added in 2014.
The year 2014 not the svn version 2014 right?

And Education back then was very simple. Not the complex ritual of today.

I disagree with this.

No it's not. You have a Limited set of Diseases. You have a Large set of Crimes. And an even Larger set of Educations.
There is 80 something crimes and 13*4 = 52 educations - 13 negative, positive education levels for all cities and ones, that are for capital only (adjusting anarchy times).
In Prehistoric there is only one Education level both positive and negative, in Ancient - two, Classical - three and so on.

There is 80 something crimes and 13*4 = 52 educations - 13 negative, positive education levels for all cities and ones, that are for capital only (adjusting anarchy times).
In Prehistoric there is only one Education level both positive and negative, in Ancient - two, Classical - three and so on.
What's your point in relation to the Diseases being needed to be tied to handicaps. Quite frankly I'm not in the camp of wanting Crimes tied to handicaps. But I did not make the Crime system Hydro did. And then came AIAndy with the Property system and all things went bananas afterwards.

What's your point in relation to the Diseases being needed to be tied to handicaps. Quite frankly I'm not in the camp of wanting Crimes tied to handicaps. But I did not make the Crime system Hydro did. And then came AIAndy with the Property system and all things went bananas afterwards.
Eh that was nitpick that is we have more individual crimes than education pseudobuildings.

Crimes and Education are influenced by handicaps for long time.

Crimes and Education are influenced by handicaps for long time.
Yes I know. I was here all along. I even asked hydro when he introduced Crime into the Mod if it would end up dominating the Mod. He said no. Guess what It dominated the mod.

I disagree with this.

How many diseases vs crimes there are has nothing to do with it. The scale works the same for law enforcement units and disease control units so why shouldn't it work the same through handicaps, based on population, since it's a reflection of the amount of infrastructure for addressing issues that the property really represents.

The year 2014 not the svn version 2014 right?

And Education back then was very simple. Not the complex ritual of today.
Education was introduced pretty close to the same as it is now.

All I can say is I guess you all forgot that I worked on Crime in 2016 extensively and Disease to a lesser degree (because DH was still waffling about expanding it). Do you really think I've forgotten all that work? That's what it sounds like to me. Or my working with it had no merit at all? And then all the work I did to the Game speeds and Handicaps and Eras all in association with the Property systems. C'mon T-brd I had it balanced before. And it did not matter that Disease was not adjusted by handicap. And you want to know why? Because it was Not needed. There is enough Disease giving buildings that one more layer is really overkill.

Just look at the 1st 2 posts in this new thread about Pollutions and notice how many give X Disease / turn, much less all the other parts of the mod. When is enough enough???

Because it was Not needed. There is enough Disease giving buildings that one more layer is really overkill.
I'm not sure what you're trying to defend but the fact disease doesn't go off of a handicap has always been problematic from my pov because it means that it doesn't match the parallel of control strength that is applied via crime control. One thing that makes disease EASIER to control is that there are very few buildings that add to it whereas there are a lot of crime buildings that add to crime. That said, on both properties, there are generally buildings to counter the ones that add the property, though you'd need less healers than crime control because there are quite a few buildings that reduce disease and hardly any that add to it.

I was wondering who changed it from the way it was originally setup as a parallel to crime. Nobody was admitting to having done so and I guess its because either it was never adapted over while we were sorting out how it worked for crime or (and I suspect this) the change just got overlooked and was long before the SVN had to be reset so now cannot be tracked to when it was done. I know it was before Education was fully implemented that I started noticing it didn't seem to be growing with population like it should've been.

Just look at the 1st 2 posts in this new thread about Pollutions and notice how many give X Disease / turn, much less all the other parts of the mod. When is enough enough???
IMO it doesn't make sense that pollution gives disease at all. Since when does air pollution make it more likely for bacteria or viruses to spread? If anything it might decrease disease... Sure it should increase unhealth but it's the very definition of NON-disease driven unhealth and what helps to show what unhealth actually is, the whole spectrum of causes for reduced lifespans.

My view - the Disease and Pollution properties were supposed to replace the unhealthiness factor completely but instead they compound it. The more unhealthiness the more disease that makes it even more unhealthy. This is a feedback loop and is unclear a concept.

Diseases not to be confused with the Disease Property are currently implemented as automatically built buildings based on the property. What I wanted was to replace some of those autobuilds with real effects rather than with things that just make the Disease Property worse.

The source of "Fresh Water" and how it is handled should have a direct effect on the chance of Cholera occurring and that would have a fluid effect on how big your city can grow. When you build the better water management facilities, or discover "Germ Theory", or have a John Snow event, etc.; then your population can grow towards the next fluid limit. Currently the AI would have no way to understand the need for the infrastructure of this type. Which is why I have not pushed it.

The plagues. I have played a mod back before BtS came out that did this in away that caused you shock and made you want to rage quit. If you didn't quit you discovered that while it was a real disaster it revitalized the game. It starts you racing to get the various plagues as soon as you can because getting them later is much worse:lol:. Watching all your and your neighbours cities reduced to the square root of their current population is a big shock. It only happens once in the game and it simulated what happened when diseases which are old in one continent get spread to a new continent. Another disease affected just troops in and near war zones. Mostly those in the field and large stacks in cities. Peace had to be declared because there were not enough troops to continue.

I was wondering who changed it from the way it was originally setup as a parallel to crime. Nobody was admitting to having done so and I guess its because either it was never adapted over while we were sorting out how it worked for crime or (and I suspect this) the change just got overlooked and was long before the SVN had to be reset so now cannot be tracked to when it was done. I know it was before Education was fully implemented that I started noticing it didn't seem to be growing with population like it should've been.
I guess you wanted to add disease to handicaps in SVN, but you forgot to do it - no version of handicap infos had diseases in it.
There are SVN logs all way to 2011 year.

Last edited:
One thing that makes disease EASIER to control is that there are very few buildings that add to it
We don't play the same game if you believe what you just said. "Very few buildings that add to it"??? No you are so wrong. And it's not just buildings ie Regular buildings, that have it attached.

We've never put Disease on Handicaps and imho never should. As I stated it is everywhere if you look. And much of it is too strong.
I guess you wanted to add disease to handicaps in SVN, but you forgot to do it - no version of handicap infos had diseases in it.
Correct. And Disease has made a huge impact on gameplay with Out the "need" for it to be attached to handicap levels. Please T-brd let this go! The Mod just does not need it.

IMO it doesn't make sense that pollution gives disease at all. Since when does air pollution make it more likely for bacteria or viruses to spread? If anything it might decrease disease.
Pollution probably always did that.
To be realistic pollution should increase crime and decrease education, at least worst ones.

So handicaps have following impact on Crime and Education (crime and education per pop):
Settler: 1 and -1/3
Chieftain: 1.5 and -2/3
Warlord: 2 and -1
Noble: 2.5 and -1.5 - that is AI gets 2.5 crime per pop and loses 1.5 education per pop
Prince: 3 and -2
Monarch: 3.5 and -2.5
Emperor: 4 and -3
Immortal: 4.5 and -3.5
Deity: 5 and -4
Nightmare: 6 and -5

We don't play the same game if you believe what you just said. "Very few buildings that add to it"??? No you are so wrong. And it's not just buildings ie Regular buildings, that have it attached.

We've never put Disease on Handicaps and imho never should. As I stated it is everywhere if you look. And much of it is too strong.
I just went through all regular buildings a few weeks ago looking for buildings that generate disease, and compared to crime, there were only some 12 disease sourcing buildings vs 50+ crime sourcing buildings. I'm not talking about other sources but I think in terms of other sources, crime is equally matched elsewhere in general. Mind you, I don't actually have a clear view of where crime IS coming from right now so if someone would give us a breakdown of the sources that currently exist, I'd love that. I also understand there's more than just regular buildings out there. I'm not including autobuilds in this.
Pollution probably always did that.
To be realistic pollution should increase crime and decrease education, at least worst ones.
Pollution should have no effect on crime, disease, or education. What's the justification? How does less clean air, in terms of chemicals and particulates, create more airborne disease? There's a little logic I can see here but only minimal - there ARE some bacteria that would appreciate having so many particles in the air to travel on and the weakening of the body due to pollution can make it more vulnerable, though that should be WHY unhealth should be a souce of disease itself. But how would it create crime? Does the air we breath influence our access to a good education?
This is a feedback loop and is unclear a concept.
It IS a feedback loop and that makes it more clear in concept. The only lack of clarity seems to be that we cannot agree that unhealth is just a generic measure of resistance to life - an increase in mortality rates and a decrease in birth rates. The sources OF unhealth are what are being divided into various properties and other influences.

Let me ask this, what is your explanation of the underlying cause for the original modelling of each population adding +1 unhealth to a city?

So when was it that crime was made to be based on the handicap? It was my understanding disease was done the same at that time.

And where, exactly, does base disease sourcing get defined currently?

Pollution should have no effect on crime, disease, or education. What's the justification? How does less clean air, in terms of chemicals and particulates, create more airborne disease? There's a little logic I can see here but only minimal - there ARE some bacteria that would appreciate having so many particles in the air to travel on and the weakening of the body due to pollution can make it more vulnerable, though that should be WHY unhealth should be a souce of disease itself. But how would it create crime? Does the air we breath influence our access to a good education?
Well I was referencing more insidious side of pollution
Of course level I wouldn't do that.
Not sure about level II - pollution seems to be grouped in three levels.
Level III definitely would include weird chemicals, that impair brain functions - didn't crime levels rose after leaded gasoline was introduced and then dropped off when it was banned?

So when was it that crime was made to be based on the handicap? It was my understanding disease was done the same at that time.

And where, exactly, does base disease sourcing get defined currently?
In SVN 3608 Aiandy added crime to handicaps.
You touched this file in SVN 8124 - you added education here - its your earliest contribution to handicaps after SVN was created.

Disease as rest of properties is defined here: CIV4PropertyInfos.xml, handicaps only modify rate of that.
Code:
<PropertySource>
                      <PropertySourceType>PROPERTYSOURCE_ATTRIBUTE_CONSTANT</PropertySourceType>
                      <PropertyType>PROPERTY_DISEASE</PropertyType>
                      <GameObjectType>GAMEOBJECT_CITY</GameObjectType>
                      <AttributeType>ATTRIBUTE_POPULATION</AttributeType>
                      <iAmountPerTurn>1</iAmountPerTurn>
                </PropertySource>

Level III definitely would include weird chemicals, that impair brain functions - didn't crime levels rose after leaded gasoline was introduced and then dropped off when it was banned?
I suppose through that argument there could be a bit of crime and ed penalty at lvl 3. It does make a bit of sense.
Disease as rest of properties is defined here: CIV4PropertyInfos.xml, handicaps only modify rate of that.
So there is a base of 1 per turn per population in all cities. That's it, no modifier for handicap is what you're saying? There is a scaling up for crime but it was never done for Disease? I take it Crime's base is also defined as 1 per turn per pop and then its just scaled up with handicaps then? I had always thought that Handicap infos defined the base. I didn't realize that in PropertyInfos there were PropertySource entries that setup the base. Interesting. It's the sort of thing I haven't interacted with much and when I did AI Andy was around to help guide the process. With so little interactive practice with it, I later forgot some things about its base setup. Still, I have to believe that eventually disease would get far easier than crime to manage and they are supposed to be equally tough. That said, I can see why Joseph would want to keep it easier for now because the units aren't quite strong enough with their property control base levels yet to keep cities from having to have too many to support them. If brought under better balance, then it would only make sense to have Disease mirror crime on the difficulty settings. Even that may have to get toned down a little if we do the happiness/healthiness modifiers to crime and disease rates. Your previous suggestion on how to do that was spot on imo.

Top Bottom