1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Water and housing

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Emi999, Oct 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Emi999

Emi999 Chieftain

New player here, there are two basic mechanics that I cant figure out.

1) water access when creating the city. Does it jave an effect on the population growth rate, or does it only affect the number of housing you have when you create the city

2) I've noticed that I can have more people than the housing allows (like 9/8). What's the point of housing, then?

2. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

First of all, welcome to Civfanatics!

Yes, it does. Quite a bit in fact.

Population growth rate depends on three factors: Housing, Amenities and Food.

Check this link out: http://civ6.gamepedia.com/How_To_Play_Guide_for_Civ_6#Housing

As explained here, or here.
    "When a city's population reaches the number below the housing limit the city starts to change, growing 50% slower, and once the housing limit is reached, it will grow even slower and stopping or declining soon after."

Check the city info panel to have a breakdown of what is exactly happening in each of your cities. (First icon in the top of the City UI, looks like a piece of paper with a list on it)

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The amount of housing manages the amount of population. If the houses are empty and the food is plentiful, they will fill. If the city has only a few houses free then the population starts getting fussy and so growth slows when 2 or 1 away from max. At max housing growth will continue and overcrowding begins to occur.... so while growth is slowed you will get to 11/10 but then the population eventually starts to leave, there are always better run cities and Civ's :)

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

5. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Housing is an odd requirement. If there is a lack of housing, people will construct rudimentary shelters and will crowd together in whatever housing is available. Evidence? Shanty towns throughout the developing world in cities with rapidly increasing population. In the poorer parts of Victorian London, there would be many families sharing a single room. Squalor and rapid population growth often go hand in hand.

Disease is a far more suitable brake on population growth.

6. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

during the industrial revolution they were draining marshes in the eastern england so the population grew beyond the housing limit because of the bonus food, just like in the game
    and in the 3rd world they're chopping rainforest ;-)

7. Haggbart

Haggbart King

But housing in cVI is supposed to include those effects as well as access to water and food. That's why fishing boats, aquaducts and sewers increase housing in the game, I don't think anybody believe cVI citizens are actually living in them.

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

lack of housing->people will crowd together in squalor->disease->lower growth rate

which is why fresh water, sewers, and a good food supply are good for "housing"

9. Emi999

Emi999 Chieftain

Based on that it seems the lack of water access doesn't have a direct influence on the pop. growth. It "just" influence housing which, in turn, influences growth.

10. Browd

Well, if you don't have water, you have less Housing. Less Housing means you hit the Housing-related growth limits more quickly. Settle a city with no water access, the city starts with Housing of 2, which means it starts with a 50% growth penalty, and when it grows 1 pop it has a 75% growth penalty. So, I guess you could say that water access merely "influences" pop growth, in the same sense that oxygen access merely "influences" whether you can keep breathing.

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

(exactly...you don't need oxygen in the air to breathe, you can breathe any gas equally well... but less oxygen in the air ->less oxygen in your bloodstream ->your muscles start dying ->they can't contract to breath anymore)

12. Emi999

Emi999 Chieftain

Yes, that's what I meant. My point is that there is no gameplay mechanic like "+10% growth rate if you have access to water".
    W/o water you get a rough start, but once you start accumulating housing by other means, you should be fine. Although one could say that there is nothing like " enough housing " in this game :D

13. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

It's looks to me like if the city without fresh water can build an aqueduct; then indeed it will be fine; however given the requirements for aqueduct, in most cases the city would simply have been moved one tile over to have fresh water to begin with.
    I think mountains is the only thing that isn't considered fresh water directly in which an aqueduct can be built next to (if also adjacent to city center)

Neighborhoods, which pretty much fixes all housing problems, are quite a long ways away. A bit of good news though is that these cities without fresh water with no possibility of building aqueducts can be used to take over settler founding duties so the cities that do have sufficient water can keep growing.

14. Browd

Well, that won't be the case if the ability to build an aqueduct s based solely on mountain proximity (lonely mountain in the middle of nowhere, with no rivers, lakes or oases in sight). But even if you are near a river, there may be some compelling terrain or city placement reason why settling one tile away from the water is better (more luxuries in range, better district placement opportunities), which might lead you to decide that the non-water city location is worth the aqueduct production cost (and sacrifice of a tile for the aqueduct).

15. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I recently had the idea of "small" fresh water sources around the map to be less dependant on rivers. The could be like an oasis or even smaller (one tile) and represented by small streams or springs. However, here's the catch: They only provide substitute housing to reach 5 (or so) and dont go or add beyond that if the city already has other means of housing.
    Example: A city is founded on such a tile but with no other means of water. So, it's base would be 2 housing. The small fresh water source adds 3 to reach 5. The city builds a granary, it has now base housing of 4 and the small fresh water source only adds 1 to add 5. So when the city reaches housing of 5 by other means, the small fresh water source doesnt do much anymore.
    I just noticed this would make the granary feel rather plain, I'd say it could still have diminished effects like raising the small fresh water limit to 6 to not feel completely wasted.