Water Mod 2.0

Nitram15

Pro Libertate!
Hello back! I know I promised that long ago, so here it is
Water Mod 2.0!

Now, the water graphics are completely redone again, I also redone the color of the rivers, and the coastline. Also, the waves' texture changed.

But let my work tell more than me:

Isle of Man as first example:

And the good ol' Great Britain:

The Carpathian Basin (river texture example):

And you can download it here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17560

Also, a member here called AFS altered my graphics a bit, if you feel you need it, you can download it here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=326760&d=1342820705

Enjoy, as always!:)

I already tested it, works fine. The ocean looks AWESOME.

Good job.

EDIT:

After playing around I've noticed something. Some textures don't show up when the grid is off. Check the screenshots.

Spoiler :

The "beach" textures are missing, as well as the ocean ones. I don't know if it happens just to me . Can you please check if it happens to you as well?

Anyway, I insist that it looks AWESOME, like in Colonization. Thanks :goodjob:

Would it be possible to add another variant for those who use the deep sea mod by Kathy? It adds a deep ocean in addition to the usual coast and ocean terrains.

@AFS: I was tired, and maybe I missed them. I'll check that out. Thanks for testing&playing it! I'll upload the new immediately after done.

@Dancing Hoskuld: I can't really get what are you speaking about. Sure, I can make it I think, but can you bring me a link to that deep sea mod? If I know what are you speaking about, I can help. ;)

@AFS: I was tired, and maybe I missed them. I'll check that out. Thanks for testing&playing it! I'll upload the new immediately after done.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.

I usually play with the grid off, so it's very ankward that both the coastal and ocean tiles look the same. No biggie, though, still looks awesome :lol:

you might also want to use actual dtx compression. currently you use 32bit dds texture, i.e. next to no compression at all. i suggest you to use dxt5 if you have an alpha layer and dxt1 for textures without.

Wait, so I'm not the only one with the texture problem?

I would try to help solve it, but I don't know anything about modding. :sad:

The only thing that comes to my mind is to replace the grid texture (if there is any) with a blank texture, and then activate the invisible grid in-game to see the missing textures. I don't know how that would work, though.

I insist, though: it's not a big deal. Besides, I bet that most players play with the grid on: I don't think that expending much time trying to fix it would worth it, so don't bother. I won't die for playing with the grid :lol:

Wow, 9 months have passed. Time flies.

Anyway, finally I have some free time (I have been busy with college) and after getting used to some modding tools, I think I fixed the grid problem.

I'm too lazy to post screenshots. Anyway, I attached the "fixed" file. (As usual, paste it on My Documents folder).

Now the "beach" textures and the ocean textures can be seen with or without the grid (see screenshots above) as it should have been. However, there's a little detail: with the grid off, the ocean looks with a dark green tone, but with the grid on, it looks with a dark blue tone. I think I know how to fix it, but that requires image editing and I suck at that. Besides, I don't know which tone is the "correct" one, so I decided to leave that thing alone.

Many thanks again for the mod, the ocean looks very sexy. Now I have a reason to explore the seas with my carabel manually instead of just using auto explore :goodjob:

Cheers!

Attachments

• water_mod_2_0 (fix).rar
    3.9 MB · Views: 404
Wow, that's great! I've abandoned this for a long time now, and I won't participate in any future improvements (I didn't stop modding, I just mod for myself though). However, since your fix seems to be good, I'll mention it in the first post, so it could be find more easily.

That was a quick fix, though, because the ocean still changes colors when the grid is off/on.

I am making a more blue version of your mod, just for personal uses, but I may post it only if you don't mind. That way there will be two different colors (or maybe more in a future) for people to choose. What do you say?

Some screenshots for comparison:

Spoiler :

Top Bottom