water walking settler for lanun

Sensemann

Chieftain
hi folks,

long time ago, i played a game called "call to power". later in the techtree of this game, it was possible to build underwater cities. and i would enjoy that feature for the lanun. so it should be possible to create a water walking settler or to give the water walking promotion to settlers, later in game (e.g. with elementalism or the octopus overlords).
Perhaps they can get a disadvantage at land like -1 :food: and/or :hammers: and an extra building for production on sea like an oil rig.
what about you? what do you think of this idea?

greeting
sensemann

Good idea, but it might get a little unbalanced. For the Lanun to be the only civ that can build in a fairly common terrain type would require some major disadvantages (to all of the lanun).

How about an underwater nation, which starts with cities underwater and need technology to be able to walk on land?

But probably I dont see it fitting to a game like this. I believe we should then
make a difference between 'at buttom of sea' and 'on top of'

@ Grand Seeker:
yes, that could be very difficult. but i think the settler can create a land tile one the water, so there is no underwater.
@ Popcornlord:
you're right. Perhaps we can limit the cities build on the water, put more sea animals in the ocean that attack the city or cities can only create on sea and not at ocean, something like this.

might be cool just to give their settlers water walking (but limit them to coastal water tiles, so no ocean going), so that they can more easily settle on islands off the coast

maybe give fishing boats ability to transport settlers instead of water walking?

I'm planning on makeing a Modmod in which two lanun ships can combine out in the ocean to make a flaoting city/ unit that can attack, and randomly produces ships. more ships will be able to be added, to ncrease it's strength...

i'm probably going to use the starbase code, when i can figure it out.

In the FfH mythology/history, underwater cities only make sense for the Aifons, and they are extinct. (Hmm...it could be cool if an Aifon city existed as a unique feature, something like "Ruins of Atlantis")

A Water Walking settler unit sounds like too much. I was however intending to move the Water Walking spell to Speakers, and make it grant a temporary water walking spell to units in the stack (disciple, melee, archer, and civilian (I moved settlers and worker to this unitcombat when I included xienwolf's worker mod/xml modcomp), but definitely not. Water Walking Hippus cavalry would be too much.)

I was also thinking that I might give the Lanun a workboat UU that can move in both coasts and oceans, and also get crew promotions (which could let it carry cargo)

I think a whole aifon mod-mod would be cool, after the age of ice, one last forgotten tribe tries to rebuild, and awake their god.

I think they should have no visible culture or units and city art should be something as unobstructive as a shadow on an ocean tile, to keep the seas clear, but their units should be - until late game, extremely weak on land and against ships.

If fact, with water walking all that stuff, I think units may require "Sea Strength" and Land Strength - ships could also have a small land strength for city defense, a scout shouldn't be able to eliminate a buccaneered Man O' War.

I'm planning on makeing a Modmod in which two lanun ships can combine out in the ocean to make a flaoting city/ unit that can attack, and randomly produces ships. more ships will be able to be added, to ncrease it's strength...

i'm probably going to use the starbase code, when i can figure it out.

Looking forward to it. Reminds me of a book I read. Perhaps make it act as a city so if it lands on a resource your civilization gets it as long as it does not move?

Y'know, I could totally see like, a Pagan Temple unique building for the Lanun, that makes settlers built in the city gain the Water Walking promotion. Not so they can build on cities, but just so you can expand with them without the specific need for boats.

i though about maps without island, like pangea or where the next island is far away, so that you cant support it to settle there. there should be a possibility for the lanun to create some land near the coast to settle there. its ok, when settlers dont get water walking promotion. but there should be a unit, perhaps a ship, that can create some land tile or a ship with hero promotion that can sacrifice itself or like workers and the pirate cove.

I like the Lanun work boats carrying settlers idea. I also like giving their starting settler water walking (but not subsequent settlers).

Wouldn't it be pretty harsh to have a city completely out in the water for production? Not bad for gold and food, but literally no production (hammers) around you. Plus you could possibly set it up to where a city couldn't be built within 2tiles (or within the cities farming radius) of any food sources (like fish, or crab, or whale). Or possibly have it destroy any food source that would be within the cities farming radius, as in RP terms, placing a city in that tile would disrupt any local or nearby wildlife, thus destroying the fish or crab or whale tile, etc.

A city on a one tile island can support many productive cities. With a border pop, slaves, soldiers of Kilmorph, and the Guild of Hammers, you can get decent production, with which you build money boosters. Then you have a commerce monster.

But don't water tiles still pale in comparison to cottages? Lately, I've taken to avoiding water within my fat cross as much as possible. It just seems so weak compared to all the powerful improvements you can build in FfH.

How about an underwater nation, which starts with cities underwater and need technology to be able to walk on land?

But probably I dont see it fitting to a game like this. I believe we should then
make a difference between 'at buttom of sea' and 'on top of'

That'd be cool. Reminds me of the old Fantasy game from CivII: Test of Time. I loved that game. I wish Firaxis would reissue it for CivIV. Or maybe do it for CivV. That'd be so frickin cool.

Anyway, maybe any OO civs should be able to do this too. Not jus the Lunan. That'd balance things out I think.

Top Bottom