Wave Out Error

linx

Chieftain
I have Vista on my computer and installed the Civilization Chronicles set. I usually play Test of Time and when I play, I occasionally get an error message titled "Wave Out Error" and the dialog box says "There is no driver installed on your system." Clicking on the OK button or the red X to close it doesn't help, it just pops back up.

I haven't found anything specific that triggers it - it can happen when I am moving my units, when the AI is moving its units or during my upkeep phase. I can play for hours and not have it happen , or it can happen as soon as after about an hour of play.

When it does pop up, the ONLY way to get rid of it is to kill ToT via the Task Manager, again trying to close the error message itself even with the Task Manager doesn't work.

I never had this happen when I had Civ installed on my old computer. Any ideas what may be happening or how to fix it?

"Wave out"... I have neither Civ Chronicles nor Vista, so I'm only guessing. But doesn't the error message look like it's linked to sound or music? (which would explain why it happens kinda randomly). Did you try to update your sound card drivers?

That is one of the things I thought about when this first started happening. However if it was a driver issue, I think that it would actually happen more regularly, like whenever the game plays a particular sound - like when a particular unit attacks or when certain improvements/wonders are built.One weird thing i did notice is that it never happens when units engage in combat, only when they are moving.

Since ToT is such an old game I seriously doubt updating the drivers on my much newer computer would help.

I realize that his is an old thread, but I have the same wave out error problem on classic civ. It happens out of the blue every now and then, and then it happens every time I move a unit. If I save, exit, and reload, it goes away. Fortunately, it only happens maybe once every few hours I play, so it's a minor nuisance.

I get this on vista too, it's very occasional but annoying all the same. the only way to fix is save and restart.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with playing a sound that either can't be found or it has a problem with, as it only occurs on actions that create a sound (moving, a city celebrating or going into disorder, etc )

I'm pretty sure it's to do with playing a sound that either can't be found or it has a problem with, as it only occurs on actions that create a sound (moving, a city celebrating or going into disorder, etc )

That is what I thought at first too. The most logical explanation is that trying to play a particular sound causes it but in my experience that isn't it.

It most often happens for me when I am moving my units, NOT attacking. For instance, I can move a ship 2 spaces and be fine but it could happen on the 3rd one, or 4th, etc. And ALL units make the same sound when they move, not matter whether they are land, sea or air.

Top Bottom