way to control cultural conversions

Suleyman

Chieftain
hey idunno if this really works or if i was jus lucky but in my last two games even tho another civ right next to me has had greater culture ive managed to take his 20+ size cities keeping them with the same population and being able to keep them forever with none of the cities reverting back to their original owner. Its quite simple actually.... every city i capture of theirs... i set it to build workers... which continually lowers their pop every turn and for some reason stops any defections of cities. then when i finally get rid of the civs later on.... i just load all the workers created back into their respective cities and they have the same pop that i captured them with without any of them reverting them.
I think this is pretty cool cause i used to absolutely get really :mad: off when those cities i spent so hard trying to get reverted back.... but as i said i aint completely sure if this works but it has been working on my last two games where i have been culturally behind..... maybe others can give this a try and let me know if it works with them :)

It's not that surprising that that would work as the formula for conversion takes the number of citizens of the "enemy" empire into account, as well as the number of military units in the city, and the relative culture values of your respective empires.

I use the the same trick. I raze city down to size to 1/2 by building settlers. On other hand I populate captured city with my native settlers. It works indeed.

I think you were just lucky. How many resistors were in those cities? With one resistor you can't rush the worker, and it would take you 10 turns for each worker. The only thing to do is to starve them out, and again with a lot of resistors you can't do that.

I find this works fairly well. I starve them until I get rid of the resistors, and rush workers after that. I will not add them back to the cities though, unless I have got rid of all my native workers. They are free after all.

does building workers with ethnic minorities cause slaves... and another thing, does fascism kill citizens in ethnic cleansing have any relation to no. of ethnic minorities in your cities?

does building workers with ethnic minorities cause slaves

Yep (in C3C 1.15). I have never used facism.

t3h_m013 said:
does fascism kill citizens in ethnic cleansing have any relation to no. of ethnic minorities in your cities?

No, the forced resettlement kills citizens based on the city size.
When switching to Facism.
- Town loses 1 population
- City loses 2 population
- Metro loses 3 population

smackster said:
I think you were just lucky. How many resistors were in those cities? With one resistor you can't rush the worker, and it would take you 10 turns for each worker. The only thing to do is to starve them out, and again with a lot of resistors you can't do that.

well actually there are alot of resistors however after one turn usually half the resistors are dealt with and workers our churned out in 1 or 2 turns at max. so no it doesnt take ten turns for each worker in large cities.

when playing on communism or other forced labor goverment and capture big city i wait until the resistance i over and rush cultural buildings (temle/library)
so i get culture and lower the nuber of citisens

Suleyman said:
well actually there are alot of resistors however after one turn usually half the resistors are dealt with and workers our churned out in 1 or 2 turns at max. so no it doesnt take ten turns for each worker in large cities.
That implies you put a lot of troops in that city, to get rid of the resistors. Usually that isn't worth the risk. There are obviously a lot of other factors that can affect this, particularly the location of this city to your capital and your overall culture. I was assuming you are talking about a very distant city, and when I do this I have very little culture, so the flip risk is high and even waiting a few turns to get rid of the resistors is suicidal.

The single best way to stop flips, is to destroy your enemy as quickly as possible.

Smackster

smackster said:
That implies you put a lot of troops in that city, to get rid of the resistors. Usually that isn't worth the risk. There are obviously a lot of other factors that can affect this, particularly the location of this city to your capital and your overall culture. I was assuming you are talking about a very distant city, and when I do this I have very little culture, so the flip risk is high and even waiting a few turns to get rid of the resistors is suicidal.

The single best way to stop flips, is to destroy your enemy as quickly as possible.

Smackster

Yes i agree that the single best way to stop flips is to detroy your enemy as quickly as possible. But the point im making is that alot of the time the enemy may be really powerful and it is not possible to destroy them very quickly. Yes i was talking about a distant city and the flip risk is high, however in my experience no captured city has flipped back within at least 3 or 4 turns and by then i can control the resistors and also producing workers at the same time which is constantly reducing the population, the flip risk is practically brough to nil.
But yet again let me emphasize that if the enemy has large cities but is relatively weak and it is possible to destroy them very quickly then this process of producing workers would not be needed.... however when in a tough situation this process is extremely useful in keeping thos captured cities in your hands

Another way to help prevent culture flips is to diminish the enemy's culture. By that, I mean destroy the cities that "house" it. Those are usually his core cities. taking and then Razing his capital is a very effective way of doing this. After their first capital is gone, there will probably be a small hole in their culture at the center of their empire. You can then sneak in a settler and two defensive units, and build your own city where their capital was. It is completely loyal to you, and you can rush-build culture buildings there (library is probably the best to build). It should be able to hold it's own against the enemy attacks and culture for a while, and you destroy one of their chief production cities, not to mention all that culture built up from their palace at least.

hey dresdor Nice tip about destroying the capital and putting in place your own city. That does work in many instances however it does affect your rep.

dresdor said:
It should be able to hold it's own against the enemy attacks and culture for a while, and you destroy one of their chief production cities, not to mention all that culture built up from their palace at least.

A civilization cannot lose culture which it has already gained. You can stop them from gaining most of the culture by destroying those cities that produced it however they still keep the culture they already had. Also, towards the end of the game where so much culture has already been built up by the civilization, destroying their capital would have a relatively minimal impact on their future culture gains.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the overall culture isn't destroyed, Suley. I just saw the enemy cultural borders shrink and I made an assumption that was wrong. Although, their active culture (borders that is) is definately diminished.

And I don't worry about rep, as everyone hate me anyway.

Top Bottom