way to start war...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by TNTTony, Mar 23, 2006.

1. TNTTony

TNTTony Chieftain

I've tried doing a search but couldn't find any...so apologies if this is a repeated thread.

I have been playing Civ4 for about a week now and just finished a warlord level game. My question is: How do you force another civ to start a war with you?

I have tried doing the following but to no avail:

- Demand tribute (gold) - I tend to get up to -20 reaction after multiple "demand tribute" but it seems to stop at -20 and the civ just become furious.
    - Stop trading
    - Stop open borders

My military is quite strong...is that the main reason?

I was also thinking of using spies and setting them to sabotage some buildings...hopefully they would fail and the civ will become even angrier!

2. acidsatyr

acidsatyr be water my friend...

if your army is quite strong, what are you waiting for?

3. TNTTony

TNTTony Chieftain

To reduce war weariness? I haven't been playing Civ4 long so I may not understand the difference between Civ3 war weariness and Civ4 war weariness. In Civ3, I think, you would have less war weariness if someone declared war on you. Is this the same as Civ 4?

4. unhealthyman

unhealthyman Chieftain

I may well be wrong, but I dont think it matters who declares war when it comes to war weariness.

The only thing that it does affect is diplomacy - If you declare war on someones friend you get the 'declared war on my friend' negative effect. So as far as I know the only time you would want to try and force someone into declaring war on you is if you are trying to be really careful about your relations with other people.

I seem to get the same war weariness regardless of who declared war... Never really paid too much attention to it though, so if I'm totally wrong disregard everything i've said ;)

5. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

I got Isabella to declare war on me once by switching from her religion to another.

6. StrideCollosus

StrideCollosus Chieftain

Religion is one of the major factors in diplomacy - so switching to a different religion will reduce your standing even further which might help.

Some of the more mad leaders often attack even if you are at friendly rating. However, others are more clued-up and won't attack you if you have a more powerful military even if they are furious.

One neat trick is to deliberately maintain a weakened military to make yourself look like an easy target, but at the same time build up a large cash reserve, maybe even turning off research for a few turns to do so. When they attack, mass upgrade you military and slaughter them.

Of course this has its risks in that other civs might also see you as an opportunity.

7. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

try to buy something that they will never accept (red things) and do that 20 times or so and you will have pissed them off some more

8. mucco

mucco Warlord

If you really want them to wage war on you, you should lower the size of your military, and even that could not be enough. Some leaders just need some minuses in diplo to attack (Monty), while others will never try to conquer you. People like Gandhi are a pain if you want them to declare on you :), they just don't like war. However, one of the most important things the AI consider when deciding whether to start a war is the relative size of armies. You can see it in the graph of power.

9. Zanmato

Zanmato King

The AI will 'usually' only declare war if it has a good chance of successfully taking a few cities. If you have a vastly superior larger army then declare war on them, do it quickly rather than having a AI with even matched army attacking you which just prolongs the war for both sides and causes more weariness. The most I've have seen that causes reaction from the other civs is '-1 You declared war on our friend' and that's on Noble level. I would happily take that for a few extra cities.

10. Ray Patterson

Ray Patterson the dude is not in

pushing their cultural borders also helps... some leaders will attack you if you culture flip one of their cities, even if you have a bigger army.

As for war weariness, I do think it is affected by who declares war, but I still haven't seen any calculation of it so I don't know.

11. Pantastic

Pantastic King

Sounds like good AI to me, he's not dumb enough to attack someome who's stronger than him and clearly trying to provoke an attack.

12. scipian

scipian Czar

I had the same problem. I had a 2-3 defensive pacts and I wanted to go to war with Isabel, the heretic. So I got our relations down to -20. Still she didn't attack. SO I ended up attacking her and paying a fortune to get my allies to follow. :(

13. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

Ways to start a war (sorry I couldn't resist)

1. Assassinate the Archduke of the Austria-Hungarian Empire
    2. Invade Poland
    3. Bomb Pearl Harbor
    4. Invade South Korea
    5. Secede from the Union

14. Bushface

Bushface Deity

To which might be added :-

6. Decide that somebody else's choice of god, or even their method of worshipping the same god, is detestable, vile, and must be extirpated.

In Civ4 the leading exponent of this method seems to be Isabella. In the real world, there have been, and still are, too many examples to be listed. I recall hearing of a long-ago cleric having said "If you meet a man not of our faith, try to convert him. If he will not convert, kill him." Scarcely a recipe for peaceful co-existence.

15. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

It makes you wonder if alot of people are TRUE beleivers in whatever religion they claim practice. Examples being the Crusades and Islamic terrorism today.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

What's wrong with just sending hordes of your attack units into their territories and pillaging their resources. Eventually, you'll be at their cities and pounding them into a grease spot in the history books...

17. Jas

Jas Chieftain

Add another one:

7/ Get lots of oil. You'll soon be attacked, and your population made "free" ;)

18. ChicagoCubs

ChicagoCubs Prince

Hehe, you can remove "lots of" from you statement.

19. Norseman2

Norseman2 Commy from the North

8. Get rich. Done correctly, a horde of Vikings, Goths, Mongols, or Huns will show up in no time.

20. Norseman2

Norseman2 Commy from the North

I think you've got to believe pretty strongly to blow yourself up, or crash your plane into a building. Likewise, joining an army for the explicit purpose of exterminating another religion (and risking your own life in the process) is a pretty clear indication of religious belief. What non-believing person would hate a religious group so much that they would risk getting killed to fulfill their hatred?